Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #1

The oil pressure gage on our 1999 36 SDS with the 330 ISC appears to have gone south. Regardless of ignition switch position, the needle stays at the far right. Consequently, I don't think it's the sending unit.
Has anybody else experienced this? If so, were you able to track down the cause, or did you replace the gage?
In lieu of that, does anybody know who made it and where I should look to buy a new one?

I have used the "find" feature to no avail.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #2

The oil pressure gage on our 1999 36 SDS with the 330 ISC appears to have gone south. Regardless of ignition switch position, the needle stays at the far right. Consequently, I don't think it's the sending unit.
Has anybody else experienced this? If so, were you able to track down the cause, or did you replace the gage?
In lieu of that, does anybody know who made it and where I should look to buy a new one?

I have used the "find" feature to no avail.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Same thing happened on my 98 36FDS. turned out to be the sender unit. Replaced 4 years ago with no further problems. Easiest way to get to it is to lift the bed.
Cheers,
Larry
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #4

Larry,

Did your gage hang to the right extreme regardless of ignition switch position?

I get no motion whatsoever.

FWIW, I had a sending unit go out last year but the gage needle would move a bit when I cycled the ignition switch.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #5

Here is another option you may want to consider...

I picked up a Cummins Road Relay 4 and mounted it to the the top side of the steering column when my tach started acting up. The RR4 displays the actual number for about every possible item you could think of when it comes to the engine, transmission, breaks, cruise control and fuel usage. I have quit using the dash gages because I get so much more from this box. It does require the J1708/J1587 data link that I believe all Alpines have. Mine was located under the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

Road Relay 4 Manual

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

Hi Tom.

I have the Silverleaf VMSpc and use it all the time. The oil pressure gage is not crucial but I'm a bit anal and want everything to work as it should.

Bob
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

Bob,
I had the oil pressure sender fail on our '99 at about 30,000 miles. It went full scale all the time. I don't remember the source but I found it online. The sender unit is on top of the oil filter housing and on the left side of the engine looking in from the back. I think it had 2 wires on it - one is the gauge reading and the other is the switch for the low pressure light. Ground completes the circuit. If you remove it, it will have some information on it. VDO seems to ring a bell. You might find it at auto parts shops like NAPA. Do not use any thread sealant because you want a good connection to ground.

PS
After I posted this I searched on line for VDO gauges and found www.summitracing.com and found a 2 wire sender that was 0 - 80 psi and 1/8" pipe threads. This may be the number - VDO-360009.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #8

Hi Will.

When you had a bad sender, did the gage stay at full scale all the time? Or did it change position when cycling the ignition switch between off and on?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #9

Bob,
The gauge went to "0" with the ignition off and full scale or near with the ignition on and the engine running or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Bob:

Something similar happened to me when I took the Coach in to Cummins and they did a computer upgrade on the engine ISC 350 after that the oil gauge did the same thing. I took it back and they had to change the oil sender because the up grade did not support the original oil sender. With this up grade the oil gauge is like an idiot light it reads either 0 or 55 lbs nothing in between. You can call Mike Young at Cummins Northwest and he can also help you. (800) 777-0336
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #11

Thanks Will.

My gage needle stays at the far right position, regardless of ignition switch position or whether I disconnect it entirely.

When I bought the Alpine I had the dealer replace the sending unit and the gage worked fine for about about 12,000 miles. Then it went to hard right and hasn't moved.

What makes me believe it is the gage is that it stays in a fixed position, which why I asked for information regarding the source of a replacement gage.

Was it Actia?

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I may have to use it.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #12

Bob,
I now think that your first assumption is correct and that the gauge failed with the needle stuck in the far right position.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #13

Hi Wil.

Fortunately, a good friend of mine gave me info about the Teleflex Amega series gages and they are a very close match.

After I verify the sending unit is OK, I'll order it for replacement.

Thanks for your input.