Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #1

Olympian Wave 6 Heater Install

I just installed the Olympian Wave 6 catalytic heater and thought I'd provide some feedback.

The heater works great. It puts out 6000 BTU, on the high setting, and is totally quiet. This is about the same heat output as a 1500 watt electric heater. There is no offensive smell at all and it runs at almost 100% efficiency. No more noise from the furnace and no more blowing all that hot air outside.

I installed it in the kitchen area. I put a 3/8" flare tee in the stove gas line and added a shutoff valve and flexible hose. This allows me to store the heater in one of the lower kitchen cabinets without having to unhook anything. To use the heater, I fabricated a couple of small hangers for the back of the heater and I hang it on the stove towel bar. It is safe to use with zero clearance to the rear.

Camping World has a special on them now. Around $290 for Club members.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #2

Ken- That's a great note on the comparability of the 6k BTU Olympian and a 1500 watt electric heater. We use a cube heater in the winter in locations where we have electric hookup. If it is mild we run it on half speed. Sounds like 6K of propane cataclysimic heater is a good match, and pretty neat if we are boondocking (like maybe DRR9?)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #3

You indicated that you're using a flexible hose, but did you install Quik Disconnects (for BBQ's, etc)? I used them so that I could store the Wave 6 more easily, and having the shutoff valve ensures that you don't have a leak. Good job!
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #4

John,

I didn't need the quick connects. I am able to put the heater away, in the cabinet, with the hose still attached.....
Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #5

Wow! We've also got a 34' and I don't know where I could make a Wave 6 fit. Please share where you found the room and what you had to do to accomplish this. BTW, we have a 2005 34FDDS.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #6

John,

I removed the "stove/sink cover storage area" in the large cabinet under, and to the left of the stove. This left a huge cabinet, which I re-carpeted. The Wave 6 easily fits in on its side, with the gas hose pointing straight up, and still leaves room for the toaster oven. I made a small, 1" high base, for the Wave to rest on so its not putting pressure on the control knob.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed a wave 6 in my 32' Dolphin a couple years ago and really enjoy it as it is quiet and uses no electric power, I mounted it on the forward wall of the sink cabinet by the entry door and put in a flare tee and shut off valve in the stove line and connected to the heater with copper tube
It worked so well that I installed a wave 4 on the back wall by the bed to keep the rear warm (yea, im a woose when it comes to cold weather)
I seldom ever use the furnace any more, but do use the heat pumps when connected and temp is above 40 deg.
dolphin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #8

Do those of you with these heaters leave a window cracked, like in the bedroom, at night to provide some fresh air and prevent oxygen depletion in the cabin? Or do you have another procedure?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Old:

I have that problem whenever I run electric or propane heat. I like to keep the bedroom door closed to block morning light, but inevitably run out of air in the middle of the night if the heat is running. Fast heartbeat, sweats, heavy breathing.

If I crack a window there is no air problem, but the morning noises wake me up early. Fresh air, no light and no sound. Is that too much to ask for? Maybe I need to add an oxygen generator to fill the room.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
All, we have a catalytic electric heater we can use if it's going to be really cold. And I’m paying for the electricity through my dues if in my membership parks system or paying for it in the fees I paid to stay someplace. Why would I want to use "my propane" if I have a good electric heater.

Now with that said, I realize some are dry camping, and don't have access to electric without the Genset. So I guess it's just a matter of perspective. My HH system, although it uses diesel, is efficient, quiet, and wont steal the air I breathe. I figure it uses about 1-3 gallons a day depending on how cold it is. But regardless, if I'm out boondocking, I am going to have to run the genset to charge the batteries, especially because of the fridge (residential) so at least two hours a day or longer, it will be on, so my fuel usage goes up again. This is the cost of comfort and I just live with it.

However, because I have accomplished many small repairs which have been bugging us, the “auburn money pit”, has come up in popularity. I am going to rename it to "The Little Beasty" and it fits, because it’s temperamental. Right now the "Little Beasty" is telling me it's ready to hit the road, and get the heck out of this cold wind and rain. It is calling for the open road and some hot diesel running through its veins.

Soooon I keep telling it, as I pat it goodbye after working on it again. I believe I am finished, with all the small stuff, and now await the call from Cummins Coach Care letting me know the part for the HWH stuff are in. One more dental appointment for the BH, and one more personal appointment, and we are ready to hit the road.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

Wave 6

I installed a Wave 6 catalytic heater in my RV a few years ago when the original heater died. It produced a lot of good dry heat - I use the RV when I go fishing and it is nice to be able to dry out gear.
Later the propane valve on my permanently mounted propane tank started to leak so I had the valve replaced. The Wave 6 has never performed as well as it did before, but it still performs well enough to be comfortable.
Snowballs is offline   Reply With Quote