Onan 7.5 Water Pump Belt Replacement
I had read of that there is 1000 hrs of run time or 5 yr service to replace the water pump belt. My generator has about 160 hrs but is 16 yrs old. I was trying to find a procedure for my unit in an Alpine on how to access the belt, but could not find anything.
Here is what I did and it may help someone else:
1. Remove bolts to the top and side panels (only the top and back panels will be removed, sides stay in place). The generator needs to be slid forward in the cradle to get to lower two bolts on the back panel.
2. Remove 4 each 1/4-20 mounting bolts from bottom base that hold the generator in the cradle.
3. Support the generator (vrs the cradle that holds the generator) with garage floor jack with rollers to lift weight off the cradle
4. Slide generator forward with a pry bar to get to two remaining lower bolts out of the back panel
5.Remove the back cover by sliding up, this can be tough but do-able. Be aware there is sheet metal tabs on the bottom that catch on the insulation of side panels
6. To get belt off, remove the upper pulley to get old belt off
7. To put the belt back on, reinstalled the upper pulley, thread belt on to upper and then spun the lower pulley to guide the belt in to the groove
8. Reassemble the covers
9. Position the generator back and install mounting bolts.
BTW my belt was not cracked but loose like it had stretched to where it might start to slip.
Hope this helps
Jay and Janet Bennett
2000 Alpine 36FDS