Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Onan 7500 fault code 38

2002 Alpine, whenever it is raining out, driving or not, I get a code 38 on the onan 7500. I have read quite a bit about folks having the issue when driving in the rain, but mine is just parked on my rv pad.

I looked at the junction box with the wire nuts and its all dry and connections are tight.

This is with no load on the generator at all, nothing on at all in the coach. But I turn off the gen breaker and itll run.

Any other suggestions to check out and look at?
Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Code 38----Overcurrent (too much load)
If nothing is running then engine performace may be hindered

Have you gone thru your AC Panel ---turned ALL circuit breakers OFF
Started Gen

No Fault code..close AC CBs one at a time
To verify issue is back at Generator and NOT output load related

No Code 38 with gen breaker Open then engine componets need checked

Fuel Line degenerating
Carb gummed up

Air Filter water soaked
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

It is a good idea to check the all your grounds and bonds - both chassis and in the panels. Loose grounds = hi resistance
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

I have turned off all circuit breakers in the coach when it is doing this issue and it still occurs when the gen circuit breaker is on. Runs for a bit then shuts off.

If the gen circuit breaker is off, itll run well.

Saturday was raining out and i had this issue and tried the above.
Sunday was sunny out and it ran just fine with all circuit breakers on and under a load.

i have had this issue in the past too. And i found it odd that it was only when it was wet/rainy outside....until I started searching and noticed others had this issue too. The generator was just serviced this summer. I will check the air filter and also found another post stating he taped off the area where the circuit breaker is on the gen and that fixed it. Going to reseal the front slide too.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
It is a good idea to check the all your grounds and bonds - both chassis and in the panels. Loose grounds = hi resistance
i have checked the wiring and grounds already. Think i will take the wire nuts off in the junction box and redo those, but the junction box itself is completely dry. they are all tight but maybe i will redo them and see if it helps.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Another place to check would be your transfer switch.

Wires tight and not burnt or defective relay?
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:35 AM   #7

checked all the wiring, everything looks good. checked the ground on the back and it is tight. the positive cable had a little chaffing on the wire cover, but very very minimal so i rerouted that cable and taped over that area. air filter was completely dry and new since it got serviced this summer

i did notice that when it rains, water drips through the seam on the front slide right onto the front panel where the circuit breaker switch is. I got some thick plastic and some gorilla tape and covered that whole panel up. We shall see what happens, supposed to rain tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #8

It has poured the past two days and after taping up the panel on front of the gen set it keeps running under heavy rain. So I’m thinking water was getting in through the circuit breaker switch and causing it to shut down? That’s all I can think of.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #9

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #10

…..another potential source of moisture in that area is condensation from the dash AC evap coil and piping. Recommend "taping" the top seam of the genset cabinet across the entire cabinet....I used a pliable, putty-like taping material to do the job--easily removed and replaced when access to the inside of the cabinet is needed...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…..another potential source of moisture in that area is condensation from the dash AC evap coil and piping. Recommend "taping" the top seam of the genset cabinet across the entire cabinet....I used a pliable, putty-like taping material to do the job--easily removed and replaced when access to the inside of the cabinet is needed...
I used gorilla tape along the whole seam and some thick plastic with the tape over the panel and did exactly that. Also ordered some new foam seal for the gen slide. Seems to be working so far.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I found this thread cause after on the road all day in the rain, after parking in the evening a started the gen set ans it run for about 10 min sounding a little irregular like low fuel. It died with code 38 several times. Shut everything down. Got it to fire up for a few minutes under load then it stopped again. I'm thinking water got in or poor ground. It is a 2002. I full serviced it about a month ago. Used it 2 weeks ago camping and rained all weekend and no issues. Where does the water get in? Seems to me the longer I Iet it rest in between runs the longer it runs if it starts. But why? To me this seems more fuel issue more than water issue. But after all these years it loves a new fuel filter and oil change which is currently fresh. Also have 3/4 full tank.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #13

This has already mentioned but I did have the same problem. I undid all the connections in the generator junction box and reconnected them and applied dielectric grease and all has been good for 3 years now.

Geoff
Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #14

Water gets in on the front panel where the switches/breaker is. I covered my whole genset with the reflective bubble wrap stuff and all is well. and also put all new weather stripping on the front gen slid.

If mine was just sitting in the rain it will run just fine. It was when driving that I think water would find its way in there and get the panel wet.

Tags
onan