Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #1

Onan Equinox Inverter instructions?

I would like to change my house batteries over to Lifeline GPL-6C - 6 Volt Deep Cycle AGM Batteries from my lead acid interstate 2200's.
Unfortunately it seems most all Alpiner's have a Xantrex inverter and most all information here deals with that inverter...

Ofcourse the 2 containers full of manuals I received with the coach had nothing to do with Onan Equinox inverters. Also surprisingly the internet had no copies online of a onan equinox operators manual and a call to Onan left me hanging on hold for over a hour with no end in sight...

SOOOOOOO. I was wondering what it takes to change the settings for a AGM charge vs the lead acid charge it is on now?

I have been fumbling arround with the settings but there does not seem to be a AGM/Lead acid charge setting.... or i cannot find my way to it.???

Any help appreciated...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #2

This message removed.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingding View Post
I would like to change my house batteries over to Lifeline GPL-6C - 6 Volt Deep Cycle AGM Batteries from my lead acid interstate 2200's.
Unfortunately it seems most all Alpiner's have a Xantrex inverter and most all information here deals with that inverter...

Ofcourse the 2 containers full of manuals I received with the coach had nothing to do with Onan Equinox inverters. Also surprisingly the internet had no copies online of a onan equinox operators manual and a call to Onan left me hanging on hold for over a hour with no end in sight...

SOOOOOOO. I was wondering what it takes to change the settings for a AGM charge vs the lead acid charge it is on now?

I have been fumbling arround with the settings but there does not seem to be a AGM/Lead acid charge setting.... or i cannot find my way to it.???

Any help appreciated...
You must have an Avalanche, is that right? Can't help you because I have the Limited (with Xantrex). Look for others with an Avalance model Alpine and see if they have the literature. I'd do a search for Avalanche and see who has one and then pm them. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingding View Post

Any help appreciated...
You might trying pinging one of these users on irv2.com: Fly'n Paws, Ironmen or JT Thomp. At one time or another, each of them owned an Avalanche.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

No , it is a Alpine 40' quad slide 2005... #75236. I think it is just one of those things.... I know it can accept the AGM Battery's. There was a web page displaying the onan equinox inverter with some text stating it's ability to charge a variable number of battery types including AGM...
I must have got the "Lone Wolf' inverter......
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #6

Wingding,
Try this website for the Onan Equinox series HUBAA. Your not a lone ranger, I have one too, Model 2HJBAA-3191B
BTF
05 40FDQS
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/s...ets/a-1464.pdf
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #7

Big Fish, thats the web page i was referring to...

As you see it mentions settings for AGM batteries... But it's just advertisment... There is nothing there to direct you on how to operate the Onan equinox...or adjust it....

Do you use regular lead/acid batteries or AGM ???

If you answer agm ...WEll, in going to be really interested on how you were able to adjust the onan equinox inverter panel for a AGM charge on those house batteries ?

We must be the very few with a Onan equinox inverter Vs the Xantrex.

Did you ever receive a Onan equinox "USERS MANUAL" with your onan equinox inverter?
Is there anybody out there with a Onan Equinox inverter users manual ?????
Old 07-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

I do I will check it today
Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #9

Found it. On the control panel go to configure Inv Select battery and hit enter this should tak you to the battery setup screen. Under type select wet cell gell or agm
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

Wingding,
Have Onan Equinox Inverter-Charger Series HJBAA publications #901-0606 (Operation, Installation Manual) & #901-0606C (Operation, Installation, Service). They are mostly the same, both 57 pages long except the 901-0606C has additional sheets A1-A13. I figure the "C" version is a revision.
I have the wet cell battery bank, 6 ea. Interstate U2400 (251 AH) vs. the U2200 (232 AH) batteries. Also, installed the "Water Misner Caps" after noting the push button watering system was not dependable.
If I have done it right, you should find attached a pdf sheet for the battery setup, it's the same in each manual but on different pages. Also, it refers to another page for CUSTOM BATTERY PARAMETERS, if needed I should be able provide that sheet also.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox INV-CHRG BATTERY SETUP.pdf (646.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #11

I want to thank both TinyTom and Bigfish.... I found my way by your directions....Sure was nice to navigate that AGM setting.

I think I need that whole book Bigfish ! I never got one with the motorhome which was par for the event.
So I am somewhat clue less how to use the Onan equinox inverter... I have figured certain things out but sure could use a whole lesson.

I guess if i go back to Cummings and hang on their phone line long enough I might be able to secure one of those precious booklets!

Thank you for that page {28} that was a very important page and gives me something to go with...

Looks like Im on my way to "AGMSVILLE"

Thank you for all the help... Nice to see a few others out there with Onan Cummings Inverters! Hopefully they have treated you good!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #12

BigFish,
That Onan cummings Publication 57 pager is as rare as hens teeth...
First, not many of us have the Onan equinox inverter {especially on 2005 models}

I would be eternally grateful if you could put it up in PDF form on our ACA files.

It would be a blessing as I havent a clue on the operation of the unit and all the settings.
I guess i really need a education here. Basically I bought the unit out of Washington state and they shipped it to Arizona where i received it....
Basically they dumped it on me and there was not a soul from washington state to go over anything with me....
brochures - operating manuals- walk through education..... forget it.....never got it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

Wingding,
Have scanned each page (79 total) in pdf form for the "Onan Equinox Inverter-Charger Operation, Installation, Service Series HJBAA" manual into a folder.
I assume there is a gate keeper for the Alpine library that can down load this info, so I will need to know that email address if you have it.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #14

ah...... HELP PLEASE !!

I have no idea how it works...

Can you place it on this thread like you did page 28 ?

Maybe from here they can transfer anything over they deem worthy....
but im not sure if that is the deal.

And i would consider this "extremely worthy"..... at least for Onan equinox owners.
Today,I just downloaded a 28 page Installation and operation manual for the ASC
{Automatic sequencing charger}- solar cell controller on another thread.

A wonderful thing!