Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Onan Oil?

I am getting ready to do generator maintenance and was wondering what oil others are using in their 7500 diesel? I am also changing the oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter, probable will clean the spark arrester too. The gen. only has 220 hours, but I want to start fresh with everything since it is all "new" to me. Thanks for any suggestions. Mike
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use the same Shell Rotella T I use in the engine.
Caemlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto, Shell Rotella 15W-40 make sure it has an ASE rating of CJ-4.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #4

I use Onan filter, rotella T 15-40 oil
Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #5

Unless you think the genset was "used and abused," the only thing that is "required/ desired" to be changed at this point is the engine oil [3 qrts/15-40] and filter [every 150 hrs or annually]. Air and fuel filters are good for 500 hours. Kind of engine oil is open for debate--people swear by Rotella; get Onanmax at Cummins, not Camping World; if you are going with Valvoline Blue in your Cummins, then buy an extra gallon for the genset; oil filter at Cummins {122-0833} or Fram at Walmart{PH3593A} but again, not at CW; and coolant every 3-5 years [Complete ES or any brand name E/L will do].

PS -- Onan/Cummins has a great website on all things Onan.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Looks like Rotella gets the most votes, Have any of you tried the new synthetic Mobil 1 for Diesels? I am changing all the filters because the Alpine is a 2005 and I just want to start fresh....just finished changing the fuel filter, had to take the exhaust bracket off to get to it and the oil filter....Thanks for all the input....Mike.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I used Chevron Delo 15W-40 in diesel trucks for twenty years, with no problems. The federal agency I retired from used it in all the heavy duty line trucks we used to maintain the High Voltage Substations in the Pacific NW, so if it kept those rigs running, it's what I used. Oil is like washing machine soap, everyone has the brand they like, but make sure you use the correct "Diesel Rated Oil" specification. The owner’s manual says-“Onan Models HDKAH; HDKAJ; HDKAK; HDHAT; HDKAU; HDKAV-Spec A-M says: API Performance Class CH-4, CG-4 or CF-4 engine oil which may be in combination with performance Class SJ, SH or SG”. However, since USLD, the specifications have been changed, and if you read the carton of the oil, it will say it meets Cummins specification, blah, blah & blah. That means the oil meets Cummins specification for the engine, and genset diesel. Any good brand named oil Delo, Rotella, Valvoline Blue that is correctly rated for diesel engines will work fine. The hour’s interval is as stated above, 150 hours of operation for an oil change, and 500 hours for the air filter. But you also should exercise the genset two hours a month, and lots of people don’t do that. I change both diesels once a year.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I too went out to the rig to change the generator oil last weekend. Found out that with the generator fully extended, the rail rollers block the oil filter access door and keep it from opening. So then I retracted it and found the exhaust pipe was now in the way. Had to remove both the exhaust pipe and it's support bracket in order to get the door open. What a great design!
Fortunately, the oil filter was relatively easy to remove. Used Delo 400 as well.

Trying to get everything checked out for the FMCA rally in Albany, Or. in two weeks. Will be the first time running fully self contained since getting the rig. (Hope the Aqua Hot doesn't smoke everyone out.!).

Ron&Jean
'07 36 FDTS
RogerBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #9

Thanks for the info on the oil filter 122-0833. My Winnebago Itasca Horizon requires that the generater oil filter access door screws be removed to gain access to the oil filter. Way to go Winnebago. These are the two torix screws at the end of the EZ open door with a latch.
Fix it Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On my Onan 7500 the bottom access door swings down when to catches are pressed. The door can be removed by lifting up at the hinge end. Makes it easy to remove filter.
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, The fuel filter fitting can be kinda' tight to get to. Scope it out before you start....could be a good excure for a new tool! Good Luck, Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #12

Loosen the fuel filter bracket or filter set screw first then loosen the fuel line connections. Reconnect lines to new filter first then secure filter in bracket. Careful, you can easily cross-thread the fuel line connections or round the corners.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #13

I will probably get a lot of heat for this post because many people have ideas about what is the best oil. I have been told by good mechanic and friend that as long as the oil meets all the proper specifications the best oil is clean oil. It doesn't matter what brand you use.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look in the owners manual, it has the specs for different temperatures. Onan site also has the manual, you can download it. It also list the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. Take a look at it, and decide whats best for you.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote