Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I thought this might be a good time to share some information about the new WRV. Monomoy was doing many things to make WRV a better manufacture and Alpine a greater product. Only some of these were known by the general public. As many of us have brought up with WRV, no one in the company owns or uses a Alpine coach. This makes it very hard for them to be aware of the user aspect of many of the coach's systems. After buying our new coach last year and having many conversations with Richard Fish, I brought up the need for owner input with him. He thought is was a good idea, as a way for WRV to make a more user friendly product. The end of last year I was brought in as an owner consultant, dealing directly with Bob Wert. I started with a list of the things I had found on our new coach that could benefit from some changes in design, product change or improvement in quality control. There are few, if any, manufacturing companies that will go to that effort to make a better product.

I, like all of you, am so sad to see WRV close the doors. Bob Wert and the staff had done so much to fix all of the problems with the old WRV and were really on the right track. Much as all of us owners have concerns for ourselves, the real losers are all of the WRV management team and employees. I had really looked forward on being able to be involved, even in a small way, in helping make Alpine a better coach than they already are. I am not giving up hope yet, that a way can be found to re-open WRV and hope that the same staff will be used, they were making great progress. Some day I will probably want a new coach and don't know of a brand that I would want to replace my Alpine.

When we picked up our coach, with very little of the warranty work done, Phil Mattoon went out of his way to help me get some of the pieces I would need to finish the work my self. I did have to pay for all of these parts as the bank now has control of what goes out the doors.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I thought this might be a good time to share some information about the new WRV. Monomoy was doing many things to make WRV a better manufacture and Alpine a greater product. Only some of these were known by the general public. As many of us have brought up with WRV, no one in the company owns or uses a Alpine coach. This makes it very hard for them to be aware of the user aspect of many of the coach's systems. After buying our new coach last year and having many conversations with Richard Fish, I brought up the need for owner input with him. He thought is was a good idea, as a way for WRV to make a more user friendly product. The end of last year I was brought in as an owner consultant, dealing directly with Bob Wert. I started with a list of the things I had found on our new coach that could benefit from some changes in design, product change or improvement in quality control. There are few, if any, manufacturing companies that will go to that effort to make a better product.

I, like all of you, am so sad to see WRV close the doors. Bob Wert and the staff had done so much to fix all of the problems with the old WRV and were really on the right track. Much as all of us owners have concerns for ourselves, the real losers are all of the WRV management team and employees. I had really looked forward on being able to be involved, even in a small way, in helping make Alpine a better coach than they already are. I am not giving up hope yet, that a way can be found to re-open WRV and hope that the same staff will be used, they were making great progress. Some day I will probably want a new coach and don't know of a brand that I would want to replace my Alpine.

When we picked up our coach, with very little of the warranty work done, Phil Mattoon went out of his way to help me get some of the pieces I would need to finish the work my self. I did have to pay for all of these parts as the bank now has control of what goes out the doors.

Dale
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #3

That is all well and good, however, much of what you say was said and recommended back in 1999 when we bought our Alpine. The answer then was, "Well, we are new and learning to build motorhomes". I can't begin to tell you the number of people who told me they had Ron Doyle's ear and he would listen to their ideas.

Every day, WRV received feedback (often unsolicited) in the customer lounge when coaches were brought in and when coaches were brought out, over the phone, and hopefully some analysis of the warranty claims. Was any of this incorporated?

Nine years later, vastly more complicated coach, but still same nagging issues.

So how long? What about all the Alpine owners who came and went because there was potential, but not fulfilment.

So you are probably right that change was around the corner, but based on the history, I would not have put any money on it.

That said,like most I loved my Alpine, miss my Alpine and was saddened to see them hang the "Out of Business" sign.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
To clarify my first post. When we bought the 2002 and were at the factory for warranty work, I brought up issues I had with the heating, AC and entertainment systems with the WRV staff, they were uninterested in my input. When we picked up our 2007 I was very disappointed to find problems with the heating, AC and entertainment systems and while the staff were MUCH better at trying to fix my complaints. They still didn't seem to be too interested in my input about the problems. This was very early in Monomoy's purchase of WRV, when they were just starting to make the changes needed to have the company operate like they wanted.

Monomoy had made the commitment to pay someone who used their coach, knew what the problems were with some of the systems and had fixed these problems. They were in the process of feeding this information into the system, along with reviewing their service records, so that they could implement the changes needed on the important issues.

RoadRohrer, as to your comment "but based on the history, I would not have put any money on it", the past history was before Monomoy bought WRV. Since Monomoy took over, there has been a steady improvement in all areas, just not as fast as a lot of us would have liked. If the bank had not shut them down, I am sure that everyone would have been very pleased with service from the new WRV. Many have posted about their pleasure with the service that they have received from WRV in recent months.

Dale
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #5

So WHAT happened? Did Monomoy's committment to invest money in WRV expire, run out or what? I know Monomoy tried to merge WRV with other like firms but failed. Was their idea only to improve the bottom line to the point they could sell them for a profit or were they REALLY committed to fixing the problems and making WRV a better company? I liked what I heard from Richard Fish as it sounded like improvements in manufacturing & communication were taking place and they were investing in personnel and training.

I'm sure false starts like the Avalanche cost WRV lots of time, effort and money and they never could get the idea of QUALITY in workmanship fully intergrated on the production line, but they were improving the product and judging by the greatly decreased number of problems we found in our 2006 compared with the 2003 they were making progress.

It looks to me that Monomoy realized it was going to take more money and a longer committment to turn WRV around than they were willing to make, so they set WRV adrift. Sure the company is for sale but as much as I hope there is a buyer out there that will keep the Alpine brand alive - I'm not holding my breath. Our 2006 now has a resale value probably less than what we owe so Carroll and I will be driving the wheels off this one for a few years.

Since we just became our own warranty station and can no longer count on WRV's generous policy of fixing things, I just completed an EXTENSIVE two week review of extended warranty policies. I compared 6 different companies and bought a 6 year / 100,000 policy to help with some of those pesky little problems that I know will come up over the next several years.

Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #6

I'd like to hear about your analysis

JIm & Kayhy
06 Apex
midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #7

I understand there is the "before Monomoy" history and the "after Monomoy" history/hopes. However, as it stands now, Monomoy had great ideas, but chose not to use their financial wherewithal to continue WRV operations. That is their right and is consistent with captial investment groups. These companies buy and sell and they generally distain red ink.

So all their moves of placing new, industry-experience people in key positions, offering road service (but not funding)and grand announcements, just fall a little flat for me.

We, as owner and former owners, have an emotional investment as well as financial. Monomoy investment is purely financial. I do not blame them, Such is business.

In one aspect, WRV was lucky. At least, they had a shot at a white knight riding in to attempt to save the line. Given the current carnage this was unique.

IMHO, may not reflect the opinions and position of this local station.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
RoadRohrer,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, as it stands now, Monomoy had great ideas, but chose not to use their financial wherewithal to continue WRV operations. That is their right and is consistent with captial investment groups. These companies buy and sell and they generally distain red ink.

So all their moves of placing new, industry-experience people in key positions, offering road service (but not funding)and grand announcements, just fall a little flat for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with all that you say. To see Monomoy give up after all they had done, is what makes the situation so sad. All of us had such great hopes for the future with all the improvements being done in the company.

Dale