Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Help:My coach is at Coach Care in Coburg and I'm in Eugene at a hairdresser while my wife gets a cut and color. (2 hr minimum) The girl at Coach Care called me on the cell and advised that they do not have the appropriate filter for the Optimax coolant so they will install some other filter that requires my attention (change) in one year. Obviously I have a filter. I've read in previous posts that the filter adds to the coolant somehow. Am I doing the right thing? I don't see much of a choice but is there one? I'm lucky that the hairdresser has wi/fi. About one hour to go on the color. A response asap. will be most appreciated.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #2

Help:My coach is at Coach Care in Coburg and I'm in Eugene at a hairdresser while my wife gets a cut and color. (2 hr minimum) The girl at Coach Care called me on the cell and advised that they do not have the appropriate filter for the Optimax coolant so they will install some other filter that requires my attention (change) in one year. Obviously I have a filter. I've read in previous posts that the filter adds to the coolant somehow. Am I doing the right thing? I don't see much of a choice but is there one? I'm lucky that the hairdresser has wi/fi. About one hour to go on the color. A response asap. will be most appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
According to several previous posts, the ISL engines have no coolant filter. Call WRV with your coach number. (866)567-4133
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris cross:
Help:My coach is at Coach Care in Coburg and I'm in Eugene at a hairdresser while my wife gets a cut and color. (2 hr minimum) The girl at Coach Care called me on the cell and advised that they do not have the appropriate filter for the Optimax coolant so they will install some other filter that requires my attention (change) in one year. Obviously I have a filter. I've read in previous posts that the filter adds to the coolant somehow. Am I doing the right thing? I don't see much of a choice but is there one? I'm lucky that the hairdresser has wi/fi. About one hour to go on the color. A response asap. will be most appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something is very wrong here. The Optimax coolant does not require a change in 6 yyears and only an extender at 3rd year. There should be no filter chemicals involved i.e. if your engine does have a coolant filter it should be a blank. Here is Fleetguards original notice in 2003

----------------------------------------------

Fleetguard has renamed its coolant and chemical technology products under the brand name ES Optima, replacing the previous ESXtreme moniker.

The first product introduced under the new name will be ES Optimax Extended Life Coolant for heavy-duty trucks. Suitable for all diesel, gasoline and natural gas engines, the coolant is free of borates, phosphates and silicates.

According to Fleetguard, patented organic acid inhibitors provide superior wet sleeve liner pitting and corrosion protection for all cooling system parts for 600,000 miles of on-road use, or 4 years./12,000 hours of off-highway use.

The company says that under normal operating conditions, the only maintenance required is the addition of ES Optimax Extender and the installation of a new ES Optimax coolant filter at approximately 300,000 miles of on-road use or 2 years/6,000 hours of off-highway use.
www.fleetguard.com or 302

-----------------------------------------------
Note - the notice wa later clarified to say 600,000 miles or 6 yrs and 300,000 miles or 3yrs
Old 11-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most filters are not really filtrers at al. Instead they are precharged with SCAs that are designed to release these into the system over time. Think of it as an additive dispenser, not filter.

Both Peak's Final Charge and Fleetguard's Optimax are not traditional coolants like the heavy duty diesel coolants that require SCA levels to be checked. They are Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolants. OAT coolants do not use SCAs so you don't want to put a filter on there that releases them. They make dummy filters that do not contain additives in case you have an older engine that's been convertered over to OAT coolants but most newer ISLs don't even have a filter.

Leo is right about the extender. All you do is add some at 3 years and you never have to use test strips to check SCA or nitrite levels. I highly recommend OAT coolants. For mote info feel free to check out the following article in the RV Tech Library - http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/coolants.htm
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #6

Sorry to take so long to reply but the coach was in the shop until 5:00 and we drove 300 miles today. Here is the final. They filled the coach with Optimax but did not have the correct filter. They put a filter on (WF 2077) and told me to get the correct filter (WF 2123) and install in one year. Then get another WF 2123 and install in two years. I was somewhat confused then and I'm more so now.

Boy did the coach drive great today. Sometimes after leaving the dealer something always happens. Not this time. Also changed oil to Rotella. Thanks, Cruzer.

Any input on the coolant filter situation will be appreciated.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The WF2076, 2073 and other 207x series filters are precharged with DCA4 additives and should not be used with OAT coolant. You just want a plain water filter. Fleetguard recommends the WF2123 water filter for OAT systems. It is an Extended Service filter that is good for 4,000 hours in an off-road situation. The WF2077 is a plain filter but it's not extended service and is only rated at 500 hours. If you swap out the 2077 for a 2123 next fall you'll be fine.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote