Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope I am not HYJACKING THIS THREAD
I am new to motorhomes and need help in choosing what tires are best for my MH, a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 32V build on a 2001 Ford F53 Chassis.
The tire that came on the MH was a Goodyear 245 70R 19.5 F I am told the F means 12 ply
The front tires have been replaced. Do ALL 6 tires need to be same brand or can I have different front brand and rear branded tires? I have Toyo on the front but I think I would like Michelin tires on the rear, is it OK?
In looking at Michelin it looks like they build a specific tire for RV use the XRV and then it also looks like they make a number of other tires in the size 245 70R19.5 F that can be used on a MH also, such as XCA, XPS-RIB, XZA, and XZE. I do not mind paying more for the BEST tire and BEST tire brand so the questions;
WHAT TIRE DO I NEED AND CAN THEY BE DIFFERENT BRANDS ON FRONT AND REAR SO LONG AS THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE?
Thanks
ESW
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #16

Yes they can. They can also be different ages. Many RV'ers try to buy 4 rears, wait a year or two, then two fronts, or visa versa in order to spread out the expense.

Tire manufacturers (or rather tire store salesmen) will make wild claims about how the ride may be better with their tires all around but since ride quality is so subjective, and depends on the drivers methods, who's to know if it really makes a difference?

The brand of tire you choose depends on your RV'ing style. If you are a once/twice a year RVer, then get a RV tire. They are softer and have special chemical additives to allow the tire to sit for months at a time but still give a relatively long life. Full timers often opt for a truck tire, Toyo, Bridgestone, etc. that age well and give lots of mileage but don't have some of the protections RV tires might have, like UV protection. But since they're run more often, it's not usually a problem for a full timer. And they cost less too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I recently needed new tires for my MH and did some shopping around. While I have always liked Les Schwab, they could not give me the best price on any tires, and wanted a lot justs to mount and balance. What bothered me most was that they refused to mount and balance tires that I did not buy from them (i.e., tires purchased at COSTCO). Costco had the best price on Michelins and Les Schwab would not match or even come close. Ended up buying Hancook tires the The Tire Factory in The Dalles, OR.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
so how did you get from Michelins to Hancook? And the Tire Factory? Did you check with others about mounting tires like a truck stop or other placeses?
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
All - I was sitting in the Dr's office the other day reading a Car & Driver magazine, while waiting, and they did testing on tires, lots of tires.

The number one rated brand is: Michelin,
Goodyear I think placed 4-5, toyo's was 5-6, and there were some I have never heard of but Purrille came in dead last. FWIW - since my life and my GF's life is riding on the 6 black things attached to the axles, i'm going with Michelin tires, a few hundred dollars to get a deal, is not worth my life. I am finished with this thread.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Three good stories. Dead battery (9 years old) at a grocery parking lot. Les Schwab came and gave me a jump (free). New battery and on my way. 30 minutes later.

This year, bought a used motorhome. Les Schwab battery 30 months old. (past the free exchange date and I was not the original buyer). New battery installed. Free.

Out of state brother bought a set of rims and tires from a private party. Les Schwab mounted and rebalanced. No charge.

Free flat repairs regardless of where you bought it, and they rotate the tires on my new vehicles for free even before I buy their tires.

They are a bit more expensive than I would like for brake work, but competitive otherwise. I've gone other places for service. Not even close.

Customer for life. Only wish that they also repaired RVs.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Out of State Brother got a great deal. I have used them lots of times, great service, but when I took in tires which needed to be put on other wheels, it was 40 a wheel/tire.
Did get one battery for Lawn Mower from then it was fine. Fixed every flat tire I took in for free. No question, they have great service, and use them for various things when I near one or if what I need fits their shop work.

For our coach, the Shop in Junction City is the only one which has the new tire pressure sensors which interface with the silverleaf system we have, so for those parts I will have to go there.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Les Schwab will deal on prices

I just replaced all four rear tires at the local Schwab tire here in Placerville California. I matched the Toyo M-127 295/75R-22.5 tires the previous owner had put on the front last year. Total installed was $1985.

The Quoted price was higher than I expected based on the receipt from the previous year--at another Schwab tire store in Auburn, California. I pointed this out and the manager who happened to be waiting on me lowered the price. Can't remember the original price and I've already thrown away my notes.

Interestingly, based on the tire date codes, three of the four rear tires were the originally installed Toyo tires. They were being replaced due to sidewall checking and the fact one had already had an on highway blow out (previous owner). I chose to match up all four rears as the replacement Goodyear tire appeared to be slightly taller that it's adjacent Toyo mate.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote