Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Oregon Les Schwab question

Intending to buy tires for the MH in Oregon later this summer. Any suggestions on any particular Les Schwab location for good prices and good service?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

We had good luck with the one in Junction City
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Les Schwab in Junction City is an excellent choice; we just had new Bridgestones installed along with replacing all the SmarTire sensors. We were in by 0930 and out at 1230. Paul and his crew do an excellent job, very efficient.

The only thing I could criticize would be that they do not use a torque wrench when doing the installation. We’re on the road now, but when we get home in August I intend to loosen the lug nuts and use my torque multiplier to get an accurate torque. I just don’t think much of those calibrated, oh yeah, impact guns.

Oh, here’s another item. Paul said that they always use new valve stem bushing kits when installing tires and recommended turning the rear-outer dual stems 180 degrees, pointing outboard, so as to make checking the pressure easier. That sounded good at the time, but now I wonder whether having the stem pointing outboard might present a potential for the stem getting bumped around and possibly loosening. I’m going to be very careful when washing and polishing the wheels. Since then I’ve been looking at other coaches’ rear-outboard valve stems and was surprised to see all sorts of configurations from the standard stem pointing inboard, to a 90 degree position pointing either fore or aft, to my 180 degrees pointing outboard. Any ideas out there on this subject?
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If your an FMCA member, there is a special price on Michelin's through them, so beforee you go to LS check out that program, you might save a bundle. In the Past LS did/was not an authorized Michelin dealer, they can get them but don't believe they can offer the special pricing through a normal dealer. Superior Tire is one, they are located in Portland, in several locations throughout the area. Do a search on the michelin site. If you can wiat a couple more months, tire prices might go down some because the price of oil has dropped, that may be a factor, I would also get more than one dealer working on you pricing (authozed M's dealers for sure) you might save enough through that and the rebate deal to make it worthwhile buying them someplace else. Good Luck.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably the same price at all of them except for state and local taxes. OR has no sales/use tax.

I got my Michelins at Superior Tire in Portland. And that was before the FMCA or Monaco deals. The still beat Les Schwab, not by much though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
laj

Superior tire has various locations throughout ore. There are some in Eugene as well as coburg right off the freeway.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dick:

I had all my stems turned out, and prefer it. Much easier.

I read in a forum post and then heard from a mechanic that they are traditionally turned inward to make it easier for the tire changing guy and only for that reason.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
If the difference is only slight between Les Schwab and a Michelin dealer, I'd choose Les Schwab because they have stores in all of the states we expect to be in and it's hard to beat their service. We've been doing business with them for over 35 years and have never been disappointed.

I could cite many examples of service above and beyond to us and other family members. But won't <g> unless by request, PM.

Usual disclaimer, I have no vested interest in Les Schwab beyond being a very pleased customer.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Superior tire has various locations throughout ore. There are some in Eugene as well as coburg right off the freeway.
Also in WA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - If you choose Michelins tires, any authorized dealer for them can take care of any tire issues you have. Les Schwalb is a great service organization, but they are not an authorized michelin dealer. The company and Michelin could never agree on the prices and how many units per month. LS tried but could never get a deal together. A buck in your pocket is a buck not in someone elses pocket, so if the FMCA deal is better, you win.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Dick:

I had all my stems turned out, and prefer it. Much easier.

I read in a forum post and then heard from a mechanic that they are traditionally turned inward to make it easier for the tire changing guy and only for that reason.
Yup on the above; makes checking your tire pressure a 3 minute type of job.

As for Les Swab, I've never been in one where I wasn't treated with the greatest of curtousy. (sp?) First time was in (southern end) of Ashland, Oregon. I had a problem, and I do mean a problem!

Hour later, a bag of popcorn and fresh coffee, I was on my way. Ended up living a quarter mile away form that location (no kidding). Bill? Less than $75.00.

Years later (lived there and could see their location from my home) stopped by with a 'question.' Fellow behind the counter said 'I really don't know, no one's ever asked that question (to him) before; let me get one of the fellows who works on truck tires. Can you wait a couple of minutes?' Question was tire rotation on the MH.

Less than two minutes later I was getting a real education .... and 'when can you do that?' (MH is stored less than a mile away.)

'Time wise we're in good shape but this will take a couple of hours, want to bring her in now?' I'd walked over there (3 minutes sort of thing from the front door) and one of the crew drove me down to the storage yard to pick up/drive to their location, and I'm back there in less than 15 minutes.

Lord only knows what it took to do that job but the 'bill,' and they did some other things they found (Mr Evans, we'd like to install valve stem extenders so checking ... etc) was well under $250.00.

Save for an 'emergency,' and this was a really 'one off' never purchased a tire anyplace else.
Just my .o2 cents.
fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Excellent service earns loyalty. They sent a service truck to our house when our new-to-us diesel pickup battery was dying and even with jumper from another vehicle and hd batt charger, we could not start it. (No charge)

Replaced a full set of tires on our then teenage sons' car, though the wear appeared to be from 'aggressive' driving. *a-hem* (Tires had less than 5,000 miles on them.) Again, no charge.

Okay, so I fibbed. I said I would not cite examples. But those are two of the more memorable incidents of why a few bucks will not lure me away from Les Schwab. A few of my bucks in their pocket is just fine.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #13

Just had LS replace all 6 tires with the same Toyo's. $3300.00 with spin balance all 6.
Quote from LS was $4200.00 for Michelins.
Difference was Toyo was 16 ply. Michelins were 14 ply.
Done in Milpitas CA.

Also, I found a local trucker that wanted my old tires @ $100.00 ea.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mule - What tire model did LS quote you for the Michelins? There are several ones which can be used on MH's, so you need to make sure they offered you the correct one based on weight/load range.
LS is NOT a Michelin Dealer, so their pricing is going to be higher, than an authroized dealer with the FMCA discount program.
Hope you like your Toyo's! I know a lot of Truckers use them. Our Goodyears up until our accident had never given us a moments trouble. We are due for new tires late this year early next and will start doing the research after 1st of the year unless, we can lock down a wonderful deal prior to that date. Oil Pirces are coming down, so tire prices might also.