Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
TGF

WE have done negotiationes with Lazy Days and seeveral others and they seem to be more than fair>TGF

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Heard about WRV on the Seattle TV station KOMO. They were doing a Motorhome safety investigation, and WRV was interviewed. They closed the story with "WRV has closed their doors". So the next day we went to Uhlmann RV in Chehalis, and darn if we did not buy a 2007 APEX, which we are supposed to pickup on the 10 May. And the dealer was pretty good about telling us abour WRV, and that the individual components are handled by the manfacturers warranty, but we purchased an extended one for 8 years/80K miles anyway. They got upset though when we went home and beat the interest on their loan by 1/2% through my Credit Union. They also have not paid of my trade in yet, so I am going to do some calling tomorrow, and we may have issues on that. Looking forward to our new MH. New Horizons Trailers/5th wheels does not use dealer network, good construction, but wood frame.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #17

Old RV'er,

It's likley the reason they "got upset" was they were making points on their financing and you "imbalanced" their
sales price/trade-in/finance points profit equation.

Stick to your guns...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #18

We decided a year ago we wanted to downsize to a class B or C because we want to spend more time in Forest Service type cgs, and we won't be full-timing as we thought we would when we bought the Alpine. (Moral here - should have traded then instead of spending a year doing our homework )
We just tried to trade with LazyDays on an '08 Itasca Cambria 29H, list $96+K. On our '02 38FDDS with all new tires, batteries, muffler, Konis, + 375 watts Solar panels, in excellent shape, no pets/smoke, (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosegramma/sets/72157604723519472/ ). NADA retail value when options are plugged in is between $125-149K. We were hoping for $115-125K trade against the LIST price of Cambria. Best they would do was even trade at List price. Thats calculates at about $75K when considering actual value of Cambria. They've got a '99 (Buddy& Bev's ??) listed for $101K. I had a friend call, they said best deal they could sell it for without a trade was $76K. Guess they gotta pay for those free lunches somehow.

Looks like we'll keep loving our Alpine and have to stay out the forests for a few more years .
Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #19

Rosegramma: I looked at the pictures of your coach and was impressed. In any other market, I would think that it would sell quickly. It would be hard for me to trade straight across for a Cambria!!! I don't know about you, but when diesel was $250 a gallon, I did not like it but it didn't keep me from driving. Now that it is $4.50 a gallon, and you drive 12,000 miles annually, the monthly fuel bill is about $600 vs. about $333. On a marginal income basis, that's a bunch but not catastrophic. With the Cambria, you will probably stay in more motels and that would reduce the difference!!!! By the way, we have thought about down sizing, too, but this is how I rationalized. With the exception of the most primitive campgrounds, I have found, although carefully, ways to get my 36 in most of them. My daughter has a tent trailer and likes to rough it more than we do but we get alone fine. Besides, you will miss the 100+ plus gallons of water and holding tanks which my kids like to use when they're out! With the '08's and the raised roof line, that poses another problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #20

Our Alpine is a 2006 36'model. We won't be taking it to Florida until our Allegro Bus is ready. If WRV hadn't closed we might could have bargained for another $3 - $5 K difference less, but were not in the position to be able to. However, the other dealer wanted $10 K MORE than we were paying Lazy Days, so we thought we made a decent trade. As I said, other dealers did not want the Alpine at all except for the one who wanted us to bring the coach in now. He was unwilling to take it two months from now when our Bus should be ready.

There are, of course, different ways to figure, but I like to use NADA book wholesale without any options and go from there. Using that method, we got 18% off List price of the new coach and book wholesale for our coach. I think the best we could have done would have been 20% off List if WRV hadn't closed. Some coaches have higher % markup than others. We traded an '06 for an '09--a higher end coach for a more mid-line coach, not the best senario for trades--to look good on paper. Probably for a deal with no trades, we could do better than 20%, but that wasn't the position we were in. We thought about selling our coach privately, but after looking at an ad for a 2005 40' Alpine in AZ that had hydrohot, 3 TV's, four slides, etc. etc., and starting price of $169,000, then in two months, $159,000, then two months, $149,000 or best offer--which was below wholesale with no options-- (and ALL BEFORE WRV closed), I told Buddy there was no point in even listing our coach for sale privately. So, we decided to bite the bullet and trade it.

TGF, did you go to Florida and make the trade? What size and year model is your Alpine?

Beverly
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #21
TGF

Beverly: Traded in my 2007 36ft slide Alpine for a 2006 4 slide Dynasty. Lazy Days was decent and I pick up my Dynasty Next Week,. I will keep you posted. Gurranty was 35K more for a similar coach.> TGF tgfettig@milpc.com
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #22

TGF,
All the best with your new Dynasty. They are really nice motor homes. Glad your experience with Lazy Days was positive. Ours has been so far. Wish we could have traded for something on the lot, but we wanted a 36', so will have to wait on it. One would have thought that with Alpines being their speciality, Guaranty would have given the best deal. Last year at the Redmond Rally, they wanted approx. 100K difference between our '06 and a '08 of the same length, floor plan, etc. Can you imagine (guess it would have been 150K for an '09)! Sure glad we didn't trade.
Beverly bbiggs@bellsouth.net
Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #23
TGF

Beverly: We received royal treatment at Lazy days RV in Tampa, FL on the trade in of our 2007 Alpine on a Dynasty. They were very couteous, sincere, dedicated and professional in all of our time spent there. Anyone can email with any quesstions>TGF tgfettig@milwpc.com
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #24

TGF,

Thanks for the current post. Several days ago I tried emailing you at tgfettig@milwpc.com, and my post was returned saying incorrect email address. I'll try again. If you will email me at bbiggs@bellsouth.net, I'll add the address to my contacts; and maybe it will go thru.

We are to go next week to Red Bay to watch our Bus being built. Buddy wants to pay close attention to the wiring, etc. etc. In fact, I'm buying a camcorder to record some of it. I'm surprised, but Bob Tiffin lets one right on the floor with their coach as it's being built. Even lets you "help" if you want to.

Beverly
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
TGF

My email addresss is tgfettig@milwpc.com. The man to talk to at Lazy Dsys RV is Joe Rivard>TGF
Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #26

TGF,

I'll email you and see if this goes thru.

Alpinerver,

I tried to answer your private message, and my emails were returned with the message that the irv2 site wasn't accepting emails. If you will email me at briderbiggs@yahoo.com, I will answer any questions. I seem to be having a lot trouble with my internet at the moment. I have Verizon wireless, which has worked well for me in the past, but now seems as slow as Christmas. Same with my dial-up Bellsouth. Maybe that's why the private message emails to irv2 aren't working--they don't go fast enough.

Beverly
Old 05-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #27

I feel most people under value their coaches when a manufacturer closes its doors. My 2003 Alpine didn't decrease in value, I sold it today for what I paid for it last year. Not only do I believe in the value of this great coach, I just bought the last Alpine Coach out of the factory today, what a great coach (and a great deal).
Old 07-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #28

We moved into our Allegro Bus Monday. I can now praise BOTH Lazy Days, the Fl dealer and Lazy Daze, the class C manufacturer in CA.

Lazy Days was excellent to deal with. We had wondered if they would try to nit-pick our MH and raise prices on us. They did not. We were treated with the best of care. I recommend them highly.

We were there a couple days extra because the windshield had gotten a rock nic while being delivered and had to be replaced. Also, I took the driving school offered, which has given me more confidence in driving (especially turning).

There were two '07 Alpines there, a 40' and a 36', along with four older models (99-00 range), if anyone is looking.

If anyone is interested in trading and wants to keep the wonderful ride and drive (which, of course, we wanted), Gary Jones must have tweaked the chassis, because both Buddy and I think our 36' 4-slide Bus drives BETTER than the Alpine! I know that is hard to believe, but after just a few miles into the 630 we have put on it, we came to that conclusion. We truly did not expect that, even though we had test driven a Bus in Red Bay on some rough roads. Also, the Bus is so stable I do not have nearly the trouble walking to the rear of the coach that I did in the Alpine. And our Alpine rode and drove really well! We had no complaint on that end of things. We don't see how the better ride and drive was accomplished with four slides, but it was. The coach is 36' 8" (4" shorter than the Alpine). Wheelbase is 238" (4" shorter than the '07 and up Alpines (our '06 was 252").

Wheel cut is wonderful!!!

Other things we especially appreciate is NO WIND NOISE around the door, etc. We have a sealed burner cooktop, so no rattles there either. We didn't know coaches could be this quiet. We think the side cameras along the coach feeding into the monitor are a real safety feature. There are many other features that I truly believe the Alpine should have had at its price point, but didn't. As you can tell, the honeymoon isn't over.

Beverly and Buddy