Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dan; I also changed the dryer cartridge on my Alpine in the back yard and I think the AD9 Cartridge was about $35.00. The cartridges are all remanufactured since they only change/replace the desiccant and the have no moving parts. I know the core charge was more than the replacement cartridge. It was an easy service/change for the first time.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #30

OH MY!!!, looks like I've been taken. My cartridge cost me $160.00 and they did not want the core from the old one. This price was supposedly cheap. The diesel shop here in town wanted $194.00 and the core. I went 120 miles to save $34.00, go figure. Although I had other appointments so it worked out. The actual replacement job itself was a snap.

Today, I replaced the Ice Maker water line on my Dometic NDA 1402 double door fridge, what a joy that turned out to be. Replacing the line was not hard at all to do. Just getting that big fridge out of the cabinet. Gotter Done! Probably would have been smarter to buy a stand alone Ice Maker. I guess I have a problem with things that don't work right.

Also replaced the defrost heater tape in the freezer drain tray which drains to the fridge then outside. The fridge was giving me the Call 13 code, defrost drain tray error, and found the old heat tape warn out in the drain tube between the freezer and the fridge and was shorting out. Easy job.

Thanks for the feed back. Dan

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #31

Hi guys, I'm back. The parking brake issue has become much worse and it doesn't matter what the temperature is now, the issue persists. I just resently took my coach 75563, ( 2006 ), to a small shop here where the owner has worked on other vehicles of mine. I ran into him in a restaurant when I returned from snow birding and he said he would be glad to look at my coach, not knowing he would actually work on coachs.

I understand that this thread is old but I have been testing and inspecting as best I could for all this time. Well, my mechanic has finally proven it to be a problem with roto-chamber, very similar to what Old Forester suspected back in May 2012. He is having a problem finding a part number to order a new one.

Old Forester, if you are still available, can you give me more information on where you found another one. Do you possibly have a part number, or do you suggest sending it to Colton Truck Supply as you suggested earlier.

Thanks, Dan
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #32

Jacobs Canyon,

I'm still getting emails and still get responses to my threads. Currently camping in Eastern Washington in our Arctic Fox trailer and enjoying it. Rebuilding the roto-chamber was simple and quick with Colton Truck Supply, and you may have somebody closer to you that does the same work. If you send me a private message with your phone number I will give you a call and discuss the options I can think of.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #33

I know this isn't problem now, but could it could have some bearing what caused it. All Alpines do not have air pressure gauges, but after have an air compressor problem, I installed one by the dash. On mine the low suspension light shuts off at about 60 psi. I know mine runs between 90-120 and I know I have plenty of air pressure.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #34

Hi guys thanks for the feed back.

Old Forester, the problem has definitely been identified as the roto-chamber. You guys were correct all along. It is leaking and hard to find. It takes at least two people to find it. It was leaking on top which made it even harder to find. You my find this interesting. Just by chance I went on line to find Colton Truck Supply, Colton CA, where you had yours rebuilt. Well guess what, I found that there is a Colton Truck Supply not more than a tenth of a mile, just below my house. I new they were there but never put two and two together. It is A branch off from the CA business. He moved here to Montrose CO from San Diego after branching out from the Colton CA branch which he says is now in San Diego. They are not related. No problem getting it either rebuilt and/or replaced with the newer style brake/spring chamber used on the new trucks. All depends on the diameter of the canister and the distance center to center of the attachment bolts. I gave the information to my mechanic and he was extremely surprised also, because he has done business with them for years. After learning more about how the Park Brake works, I am extremely surprised that I hadn't been standed somewhere. I did find out too that if in fact the air pressure failed on the Park Brake you can pulll the connector pin to disable the Park Brake until it could be repaired, but it is very dangerous without the transmission having Park as you well know. I will send you a private message because I would like to thank you personally.

Kraig, as one of my many projects, I am going to install an air pressure gage on the dash as you suggest. I have always wanted that and hope to do it when I get the coach back. I do not like not knowing the condition of system on my coach and I plan to keep this coach for a long time. Thanks for your feed back.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #35

Do you have a name and part number of the the newer style brake spring chamber?
Thanks
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #36

Dan- OldForester accepts Thanks in the form of Beefeaters 24
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #37

This from an earlier thread or email:
[I]When parked on a hill coach wanted to continue down the hill- repair shop replaced all the parts they could and had to rebuild the can, i.e. the actuator, a.k.a. Roto-Chamber. *Replaced The Rockwell strut assy A3787N14, replaced Rockwell camshaft 2710U151, Replaced emergency brake shoe kit PB2085-LS, and rebuilt/turned the drum/rotor. *Total bill 5/2012 $1587
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Just finished my rebuild after the parking brake refused to release.

For 2002 to 2006 the parking brake is made by Haldex and is called a Spring Brake (not Roto Chamber)

Full name is Haldex Maxibrake - Spring Brake, HR Series

The Haldex rebuild kit (service kit) is MQ15708 (price runs about $50). There were none in stock at Haldex 2 months ago and I had to wait 6 weeks for the kit. The rebuild is easy but you have to be very carful as the spring in under 850 lbs of pressure so you have to use a press. The kit comes with new O-ring, piston bearing, rod bearing with felt wiper and synthetic grease.

Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #39

Gary,

Interesting. When I talked to the people repairing my part, and to Haldex, they referred to it as the roto-chamber, not spring brake. Guess they have changed their nomenclature or I just talked to different people at the time.

JacobsCanyon,

I took pictures of my spring brake/rotochamber and had the following part numbers on it: HR2PT03A and 323A4K. I am assuming the first number is the correct number, but don't know since I no longer own the coach or have the spare part. Glad you found Colton Truck Supply in Montrose. I seem to remember they had a branch there but didn't associate you living so close.

EngineerMike: I still like BeefEaters 24. Hope to catch up with you some day and share a Martini with it!
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Roto-chamber is the name Bendix uses for there product line.

I found the piston would kick to the side when air was applied, causing the air leak. When I disassembled the spring brake the first time. I fount the O-ring and piston bearing worn. So… as a temporary fix until the service kit came in. On line I found the exact size O-ring (4.5”ID x 5”OD x ”) and synthetic grease from Tacoma Screw. Reassembled as a temporary fix so I could use the coach.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #41

Kraig, sorry haven't gotten back sooner. I have not heard back from my mechanic so I'm not sure if he is having mine rebuilt or that he went with the new one. What I do know is that the suggested newer spriing chamber has two air connections. One for use as standard air brakes and the other as the spring chamber for the park brake application. What the parts man, (Brian), at Colton Truck Supply here in Montrose CO, needed was the outside diameter of the roto-chamber/spring-chamber and the distance between the center of the two mounting studs. I did not remove it myself, which I wish I could have, but my mechanic knew Brian and he was going to work it out with him. As I promised Old Forester, when everything is fixed I will drop a note on what exactly was done.

Engineer Mike, in my old age I think I'm loosing some memory and was sort off dumfounded on what you ment by Beefeaters 24. Well, I obviously just figured out what you ment, I quict drinking alcohol in 1990 so go figure. Please leave me a personal message on how to get it to him. We talked on the phone but I know little else. Incidently, thank you again for your help now and in the past. Didn't you use to own 75562.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #42

I've only enjoyed two bottles of B24 myself, Bill gave me both of them. So I don't even know where to buy it.
And yes, 75662 was mine before we traded for 75780.

Tags
brake