Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Parking Brake

Just a heads up ! I parked our Alpine in the RV garage it's 20'x40' so close front to back with about 4" from mirror to rollup door went in garage 4 days later and mirror was up against door so I thought I had a brain fart when I parked I backed up 4" a left , came back the next day and was doing some work on MH and heard a lite groanning sound looked at tires and MH moved a inch or two.I chocked MH and got under two see what was going on looked at parking brake "spring brake" and engaged and disengaged a few times.Knowing that spring brake work reverse of stoping brakes air pressure keeps parking brakes from engaging and the spring engages when theres a lack of air.The threaded clevis that adjust the throw on brake arm had only about 1/4 of the threads Installed,so when parking brake was engaged it ran out of throw and would barely engage remove cotter pin put aprox.1/2" more threads in clevis and it now fully engages. look at pic. you can see that the rod has a clean spot where it comes thru landing bracket.Makes you shiver to think if parked on steep hill what might Happen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #2

Here is photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150516_073902.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	94398  

Old 05-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

What is the proper adjustment on that threaded rod? That could of been a disaster if parked on a hill.Thanks for posting the photo Ron.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

I could not find any info.in my books or inline pretty strait foreword by eye you can see that amount of travel when engaging and disengaging that there was not enough throw to fully engage after adjusting a few times and looking that there would be enough clearance between brake shoe and drum when disengaged as to not have it drag,but enough to fully engage.Loking back it seems that when MH was warm or driven the parking brake held my thoughts are that heat expansion and when cooled down and being so close to edge of engage/disengage it would let it creep
Old 05-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

Brake is spring applied, so adjustment is till brake shoes are fully engaged by actuator spring. Any good heavy truck brake outfit can do adjustment, if they say they need some sort of manual or tech advice, go somewhere that knows what its doing.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

You should run the cable up until it hits the lock nut and lock it tight. That where it started.

Since the clevis can't turn, I would be looking at the other end of that cable, to see why its unscrewing. Most times, they have some kind of lock nut on both ends.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

My point was that it was installed incorrectly it did not move as I said the clevis was only threaded about 1/4 the way in, so that it made a very little contact the jam nut was tight and cotter key in place.with the littlest of wear it was losing contact, people have change it is how fast can a job get done not how well can I do my job, its always better to do the job right the 1st time than to do it 2 or3 times

Tags
brake