Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #29

Dave,

Let us know which model Safety Clip works on your Alpine Coach, so that the rest of us can order the correct one.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #30

Its amazing, 800 hits and 28 responses to define a "problem" that only occurs when the suspension is air-ed up and the engine is/was running. I have a Michigan friend who believes in both "belts AND suspenders" but this one is a bit over the edge--rambunctious grand-kids and/or puppies notwithstanding.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #31

Old Scout,

Why would you ridicule viewing and responding to such a "problem"? Especially, when the "solution" is so cheap? I say, "Live and let live".
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
As the 32nd responder (LOL!), I think Scout is pointing out that most people park, level and put out the slides, and that the air is automatically dumped. Once dumped, the parking brake cannot be defeated accidentally. Push it all you want. The coach isn't gonna move.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #33

Never gave this any thought "till I read this, but after reading it and checking some of "stuff" for sale, and being the ultimate cheapskate, I started thinking. I looked around my workbench and spotted a length of 1" wall foam pipe insulation. I cut a 1" piece, then cut a small notch and found that it does the job.
My motto is KISS.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #34

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction!" My luck--I'd find myself in a situation where I needed to quickly move the coach from a parked position and in my panic, I wouldn't remember how to disconnect the "emergency lock" so I could release the emergency brake. Dale, I am very sorry if I "pushed your button" on this issue--it was not my intention.......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
As the 32nd responder (LOL!), I think Scout is pointing out that most people park, level and put out the slides, and that the air is automatically dumped. Once dumped, the parking brake cannot be defeated accidentally. Push it all you want. The coach isn't gonna move.
I don't believe this holds true for my coach or any that has a leveling system based on the use of the air suspension. I could be wrong--it did happen once --but the auxiliary electric air compressor supplies air to the air bags when ever the air leveling system is on. I'm pretty sure the braking system is also aired up.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #36

Except that we Alpiners dont have "auxiliary electric air compressors"--wow, sounds like a neat system though. Once the air bags are dumped, there is no compressed air for parking brakes [regular brakes dont apply--they are hydraulic disc], horns, or bicycle tires [I think this is true for bike tires????]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #37

Old Scout - This tipic came up (possibly on another forum) a two or three years ago. I thought like you but ignored the tipic completely once I saw what it was about...never read any more posts on it. That being said, last year I had my windshield replaced. The guy came to my house and I had to pull the RV to the edge of the driveway to get close to his pickup, where the new windshield was positioned. My driveway has a slight incline. While removing the old windshield, he accidently pushed the parking brake and the RV rolled into his pickup and put a dent in its side. Luckily it did nothing noticeable to the Alpine. Moral --- stuff happens and I was lucky this time.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Note - I have not tried to release the emergency brake when engine is off and air bags are dumped. I will do it tomorrow since I got to know if what is being said is true. However, today the coach had been leveled and I had just stored the jacks and had just started the engine, put in the yellow handle, and it released the brakes. So, if the emergency brake needs to have XX amount of air to release, and the consciences here is "dumping the air bags" releases the air, I believe on my APEX there is enough air left in the system to release the emergency brake, even though the bags have not even started to pump up. I got the low air suspension warning, but the yellow brake handle released the emergency brake.

Now if I am camping and have stayed a few days, the yellow handle won’t go in until XX amount of air pressure has been placed into the system. If I remember my CDL training, it’s got to be at least 60PSI for the brake to let go. And correct me if I’m wrong, but when you dump the air bags, you are doing just that, dumping out the air in the bags, you are not purging the compressor system of its air. My guess each of us has an air chuck in the area aft of the battery compartment, with a valve on it. Next time you stop for a while, and have the coach all settled down, air bags dumped, leveled, etc. Open up that air valve and put in a fitting into the chuck, my guess is some air comes out, enough to depress that yellow handle, and release the brakes at least one time. If I’m wrong, let me know here on this thread. I will also report my findings.

For me and my gang I am going to get the clip, just to be sure and safe. Now, we don’t have dogs, or grandkids, so it’s just me who might hit the button doing something under the TV or messing around up on the dash area. The clip is also a great reminder the brake is set, you all know those senior moments.

Another note - I have a gauge in the tank bay, and it shows some air pressure unless I open up the air port and drain it out. This also might be indigenous to the APEX models because we (well I do anyway) have air pressure operated sewer hose. I must have a small tank someplace which holds some air.

For safety sake, try it so you know for sure. Wish I owned the clip patient.

Don’t be like the fellow a few years ago on the Oregon coast, he forgot to set the emergency brake and the coach rolled down into the rocks, must have totaled the unit. So before you “think you know” try the experiment unless you already have, oh heck, try it again.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
I can release my parking brake immediately after starting. There is air in the system even after the bags are dumped. When I bleed the air dryer, a great amount of air is stored somewhere (I really don't care where it is until I have a problem). This air must release the brake.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Well, Lord knows I've accidentally sounded the air horns accidentally while camping. It's only a matter of time until I release the parking brake, too.

Let me know how the experiment goes. Give me empirical evidence! LOL!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #41

Gosh--I hate it when "facts" get in the way of being right!!! Seems, at least on my 03, there is some residual compressed air left in the air tank after dropping the air bags. Immediately upon dumping the bags, you can release the parking brake with the remaining air, and you can probably pump up a bike tire [maybe], but you cant honk the horn.

Anyway, my failing memory suggested that early on in my ownership experience, I tried inflating a float tube after having dumped the bags and couldnt do it. More recently, it seems that after being stopped over night or several nights, I couldnt release the parking brake until the engine was running and the rear bags were full. I am going to let the coach set with the bags dumped for a day or so just to see if any of this is true--ie, the residual air eventually leaks out. In the meantime, I may have to join the hunt for a parking brake "override clip." [keep smiling--I am].

PS--I think this is the 41th comment on this subject.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
True you cannot honk the horn. Thank God!! Some nights when I lean over the wheel I hit the horn button. Imagine that next door at midnight!