Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
Old and Tom:

I myself have honked the horn accidentally and scared the bejesus out of myself and the neighbors... several times..... recently. Not to mention my dog doing it to me when I was standing in front of the coach. So there must be enough air left behind to do it. This was after I was parked, jacked and slid out. So, obviously post-auto-dump. Not sure if it was Day 1, Day 2 or when.

Of course, then the conversation moves to, will it roll off its jacks if the parking brake is released? I suppose given enough incline and enough impetus, it could.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
No motor home with straight fixed jacks will "roll off the jacks". Nor would you get very far if you tried to drive with the jacks down. That story goes back to the old hinged jacks that stored horizontally. There was a small cylinder on each jack that swung it down vertically and then the jack extended. This allowed them to use a much shorter main cylinder. The jacks were all hinged to fold backward so if you drove forward with the jacks down, they would swing partially up and not be damaged. Also you were warned to never lift the rear wheels off the ground because if the ground sloped down and forward, the coach could, and would, roll forward "off the jacks". I imagine that this happened often enough that the hinged jacks are not used much now, if at all.

Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #45

Alpine Owners Club
Rick, I don't know about yours but my owner’s manual says no wheel on any axel should hang out in the air without support. This would hold true for the rear wheels especially since the brake holds that axel. Now I am not a great math wizard, but my feeling is, if the downward gravitational pull was strong enough, the coach could move by bending the jack shaft itself, and away we go. I know people have reported bending the jack by trying to drive off before storing them. Not necessarily Alpine owners, but I have heard of it happening.

EM says you should always put a chock in front of and behind the rear wheels to keep the coach from moving in case the emergency brake is not adjusted correctly, and I do that. The coach will let you put it in gear and drive off with the jacks down, all kinds of buzzers and noise makers will be going off, but it can be done.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Since this thread about the parking brake has gone all directions....Kayla was our automatic axillary parking brake until Oct 2008. Placing these heavy chocks in front of the rear wheels. I never do trust that brake on an incline. Now I get the duty.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
OK, went to the coach today, and check my parking brake operation. Since it had been sitting with the bags pumped up I tried it and it would release each time. Then I deflated the bags and it worked one time then you could push in the botton, but the brakes would not release.

Started it up, let the bags fill, and the low air warning go out, and turned off the engine dumped the air bags, and again it would work one time, maybe two at the most. Pumped up the coach again and left it set.

So I'm going to order the clip, and since I did not check the picture correctly, I am going to assume the 7/8" height is the correct one, but before I order I will measure it. I will report what I find, but it's going to be awhile, if someone else has there coach at home please measure the height of the shaft and let us know so we get the correct thing.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #48

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Guys
Dave here with the results of my 'Parking Brake' question. I really do appreciate all of your inputs and some very good advise.

I called Dorene at Smith On Safety, www.SmithOnSafety.com 847 344-8338 last week and she sent me one each of both models of their Safety Clip for Air Brakes, along with a storage post and a brochure. There is 7/8 inch stem lenght and a 1 1/4 inch stem lenght model. Depending on the lenght of your stem.

My problem is that even though I have a 1 1/4 inch long stem, it is mounted on the dashboard in an indentation. I spent the majority of this past weekend trying to get one of them to fit. The 1 1/4 could not be fitted under the yellow knob anyway. The 7/8 inch would fit under the yellow knob, but I could still push the yellow knob down some and hear the air pressure bleeding off.

After trying several attempts to put something around the bottom of the stem, so I could still install the 7/8 inch model, it was to no avail. The RED safety clip is supposed to be installed with the slanted edge on top to ease it's installation.

Eventually, this old retired pilot found out that if I turned the safety clip upside down and then installed it pointing up [ arms pointing down ] from the bottom of the dashboard, it would slip in nicely all by it's self. It would not go all the way in, but it makes it immpossibe to push the Air Brake knob in. Problem solved...

I mailed the 1 1/4 inch model back to Dorene along with a 'thank you' note. The best part is I now have an Air Brake Safety Clip that works, it is bright RED, it has two arms for ease of installation and removal and I have a post to hold it when not in use so I won't lose it. All for $ 18.90 delivered.

Can not help but recommend Dorene if you are interested. Thanks again guys...

Dave Stanley
2005 38TP
Vacaville, CA
Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #49

Alpine Owners Club
Dave, thank you for the info, will order mine today. Whom did you fly for?

Dave, we will try to look you up once we get down that way this fall. One of our favorite campgrounds is the Thousand Trails at Morgan Hill, CA
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #50

Old RVer and Dave Stanley,

Thanks to you both (and Old Scout) for clarifying this safety issue. I just completed ordering my Air Brake Safety Clip; now I will have a belt and suspenders.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
Yep - I just did mine as well. Someone should get them to a rally.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #52

Alpine Owners Club
USAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Dave, thank you for the info, will order mine today. Whom did you fly for?

Dave, we will try to look you up once we get down that way this fall. One of our favorite campgrounds is the Thousand Trails at Morgan Hill, CA
Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
Dave, your installation was the way I had to do mine. Since I could not find a lot of metal in the dash, there is one metal stud on the steering column so that is where the holder will sit. When not using it, the clip goes on it and it's not in my way.

Dave thank you for your service. I did 10 in the USN.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
In all of this discussion regarding setting the "Parking Brake", I did not see any reference to the spring-loaded brake which performs the function of keeping the brakes applied when there is no air pressure... or during a loss of air pressure while underway. That is why your coach will not roll until you "air-up" the pressure, releasing the Spring Brake and giving you pressure to apply the air service brakes.

The air brake system has two operating tanks and a small reserve tank with enough pressure to apply the brakes one or two time... then the Spring Brake takes over.

There is a test which is performed while on level ground with plenty of clearance whereby you purposefully pump down all of your service brake pressure by repeatedly applying the brakes and allow the Spring Brake to deploy. Read this procedure and follow it precisely.

Adjusting the "S-Links" is a critical part of maintaining air brakes. Please read your chassis maintenance information and be sure that your S-Links are adjusted properly.

Keeping your coach from rolling is a critical function... having the Spring Brake to apply the brakes in the event that BOTH of your operating air pressure systems (Tank One and Tank Two) AND your Emergency Tank fails is even more critical.
Please be safe,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #55

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, this would be perfectly correct if alpines had air brakes. Alpines have hydraulic brakes, the only thing we have operated by air is the Parking (Emergency) brake, and this (if I'm correct) only locks the drive shaft via a disc being compressed by an air actuated device.

Engineer Mike can explain it better, but that is sort of how it works. Since Alpines have hydraulic brakes to stop the coach under driving conditions, we don't have air tanks and all that other stuff. We do have a PTO operated compressor (Again I think it the PTO) which inflates up the air bags and a small reservoir of air for the parking brake. Once you dump the air in the suspension, and pull the parking brake, most if not all of your air reserve is gone. This then will keep the parking brake from disengaging if the knob is pushed. However, in late 06 WRV built coaches called APEX’s, (and later still Limited SE's) and those models could have other devices operated by air pressure so the reserve is higher, and consequently, someone inadvertently could push in the yellow handle and cause the coach to roll if it was parked on a steep enough incline. Those model coaches have about two or three brake knob operations then the system is out of extra air. I know this because I tested my APEX to see what happens.

We alpine owners appreciate you thoughtfulness in responding to this thread, but, alpine coaches are really their own breed of cat, and lots of the systems are different from all the other coaches out there. Don’t get us wrong, we wish we had air brakes, a much improved system to what was installed on ours, at least I do.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Yikes Old Rv'er !!
I've managed to step into it again !!
Thanks for pointing out the difference in Alpines' systems. ...And I really appreciate your politeness in the way you did so.
I gotta learn to look up at the top of the thread to see what the reference is... although in this instance I would have still been in the dark about the way Alpine's are set up.
Thanks again... be safe!
Jim

Good man is offline   Reply With Quote