Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:02 AM   #1

Recently my parking brake light stayed on when I disengaged the parking brake. I looked at the parking brake assembly and searched for the correct adjustment procedure in all my manuals but found nothing. I adjusted the cable about 1/4 inch and the light went out but I would like to know the correct procedure. Also, the diaphram assembly that actuates the cable to the brake passes some air (like a small bypass valve) with the brake disengaged. Is this normal? Thanks.

shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:02 AM   #2

Recently my parking brake light stayed on when I disengaged the parking brake. I looked at the parking brake assembly and searched for the correct adjustment procedure in all my manuals but found nothing. I adjusted the cable about 1/4 inch and the light went out but I would like to know the correct procedure. Also, the diaphram assembly that actuates the cable to the brake passes some air (like a small bypass valve) with the brake disengaged. Is this normal? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Steve and Marsha:

The parking brake is air actuated. When you pull on the parking brake knob it will release air and set the brake. When you push on the knob it inflated the parking brake and releases the brake. If you have low air pressure the brake will not release. I would first check to make sure you have sufficient air pressure, a then I would check for proper operation of the parking brake. I hope this will give you some help on where to look.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I know I have good air pressure at the service panel in the rear of the motorhome. Does it also need to be checked at the diaphram assembly? I was under the coach and had someone operate the parking brake and the cable moved about two inches when the brake was released (air on).
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Steve and Marsha:

From what you describe it sounds like the parking brake is releasing but the dash light stays on. The parking brake light is probably actuated by an air pressure switch so when no air pressure is present the light will come on and when it detects air pressure it will turn off the light. Sounds like the pressure switch has gone south and is in need of replacement. Although I have not looked at mine the switch is probably combined with the parking brake control on the dash.

I do not think it is an on/off electrical type switch because I have tried to release the parking brake before air pressure had build up and the light stayed on until enough pressure been build up.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #6

The parking brake light sending unit is in the air line by the diaphram assembly under the coach. It would be easy to replace if I knew that was the problem. I'm more concerned about the air coming out of the diaphram assembly when the parking brake is off. I don't know if this is normal or not. I've can convince myself both ways.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #7

We just got back from a five week trip around the western US. We have a beautiful country and a lot of neat things to see. Saw this post and thought it was a good place to relate a problem we had. As we were leaving the campground at Arches National Monument in Moab, Utah, my emergency brake locked in the ON position. I pulled over into the parking lot and tried to science out how it worked. As in the above comments, it takes air pressure to release. I could hear the leak. To be able to continue our trip and to get it repaired, I had to figure out how to release it. What I did was to use a jack to push on the brake release arm to be able to remove the pin that attaches the actuator to the brake arm. Then the arm was able to relax and let off on the emergency brake. My emergency brake until we were able to get the actuator replaced was my wife. She would get out and put blocks under the tires when we stopped. We got the actuator replaced in Longmont, Colorado. The part and air freight were about $500 and another $400 in labor and shop costs.

Hopefully this helps someone else should this problem happen to them.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

Thanks Rich and Cork! It sounds exactly like my problem. I have contacted WRV service but they have not been able to tell me one way or another whether the actuator has a bypass valve. It sure sounds like it doesn't. Do you have a manufacturer and part number? I tried to find a label but couldn't. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #9

The receipt shows that one xxx 62648 Air Spring Brake was installed. I am pretty sure they got the part from WRV. Good luck.

By the way, the facility that did the work for us I would recommend. They handle big rig and RV repair. Also sell trailers and toterhome type of RVs. They had a total of 22 bays and stayed open til midnight. They were always really busy. They had a number of spots in their lot where they allowed RVs to stay (and also a dump station). Another couple had been there three weeks. They had an issue with their 45 footer between the manufacturer of the coach (not Alpine) and the chassis. They were not really unhappy, just another adventure in their full-timing experience.

The facility if Transwest Truck and Trailer and they are right next to the 25 just out of Longmont (actually the town of Frederick).
Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #10

My parking brake is finally fixed. Doing a search on this forum I realized I am not the first person who has had their parking brake go out. We were able to continue driving the coach by removing the spring brake and plugging the air supply line so there was no leaking air. We went 3000 miles with my wife as the brakewoman setting two 4X4's every time we stopped.

The parking brake actuator is an air controlled spring brake manufactured by Haldex. The problem with mine was it leaked air. If you hear any air leaking with the parking brake off there is a problem. The air pressure releases the brake. The Haldex part is a Maxibrake-HR2PT03A,04. The WRV part is KSHR2PT03A00018. Haldex no longer manufactures this particular brake so you need to go to WRV for it.

WRV continues to come through for me. They were very helpful once I figured out what the problem was and I am very grateful they had the part in stock.

The installation of the spring brake is pretty easy and only takes a few minutes. I had disconnected the parking brake light sensor because it always stayed on. When I installed the new spring brake it still stayed on. I removed it and found the end corroded. I cleaned it and tapped it to remove some debris inside and it now works. I am not sure why the end was corroded but I will check my air dryer to make sure it is removing moisture. I rarely get any moisture when I bleed the air so I have not worried about it until now.

I will install an air guage on my dash. I don't know how long I have had this problem but the dash guage would have revealed this problem long before the idiot lights did. I have noticed for some time that occasionally the travel light in the sliding tray would go on and off intermittently when driving. Since I did not get a low air light or park brake light I didn't think too much of it. I rarely see the light since the drawer is usually closed when I'm driving. Once I stopped the air leak the light stays on consistantly. I should have known! Again an air guage would have revealed the problem long ago.

With the air leak stopped my coach handles better and rides better. Since I had a wheel alignment a while back I probably need to check my ride height. The air leak might have changed the height if it was leaking when it was aligned.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #11

That's a very happy ending. As you read through your article with your emergency brake issue it gave the impression that your wife(presumably referred to as Cork) was lying under the wheels as the emergency brake. Even someone like Oregon Coyote I don't think would do that. Thank you for clearing up that messy concern for your wife.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #12

Steve, see that your problem turned out to be the same as ours. Just told my wife that your wife did the e-brake thing for 3000 miles. She said "3000 miles", but all in big letters and with a surprise sound!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #13

The saga of my parking brake goes on. I had mentioned my parking brake light was now staying on whether the brake was on or off. I got under the coach to check the pressure sensor and heard an air leak again. After some checking I discovered it was coming from the pressure sensor itself. Apparently it couldn't handle the air pressure after installing the new parking spring brake. I will call WRV in the morning and order one. Hopefully this will be the end of the problem.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #14

This story continues to live a life of its own. I still do not have the sensor (parking brake air swith) from WRV and will not be getting one. In the email dated Oct 4th they said "the part is obsolete and no longer available". It has been two months since I first contacted WRV about this part. Today I went to a local truck dealer and picked up a sensor they use on semis. I called WRV technical support to make sure I wasn't missing something and they acknowledged that this part should work. I recommended they do an engineering change and specifiy a new part to replace the obsolete one. There was silence, no response. The part I purchased was $20. I will install it tomorrow and hopefully this saga will end. This sort of thing is one of the pitfalls of buying a custom product, i.e. an Alpine. I will not buy a custom chassis again. It is fine for the other RV things but the chassis is a safety issue.

I will let everyone know if this part works. If it does I will post the manufacturer and part number.