Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Question Parking Brake Issue

I have an intermittent issue with the parking brake indicator/light on the Silverleaf monitor drive screen. The parking brake seems to be working as it should regarding holding the coach OK when activated and releasing OK when deactivated with the push/pull handle on the dash. However, the problem happens when parked for a while like in a campground or in my building at home. The indicator on the Silverleaf shows that it is no longer in park and keeps me from deploying jacks, slides, and Smart Beds. To fix the problem, I turn the key on and pull out on the push/pull handle on the dash. Starting the engine also fixes it. The whole time this is happening, the parking brake is holding the coach just fine until I release it with the push/pull switch. To me it seems to be the handle on the dash not staying put. Or could it be an air leak somewhere? If it were an air leak it looks like the parking brake would not be holding/releasing properly. I have a chassis repairman coming to take a look at it in the morning but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem. My searches on this forum did not reveal any other problems like this one. Thanks for your help on this.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chuck, the parking brake on the Alpine operates on the lack of air. Air pressure releases the brake.

There must be a sensor that talks to the Silverleaf in the switch or in the air line to the parking brake. If sensor is not operating properly the Silverleaf is receiving the wrong info.

This is only a guess, but the Silverleaf must get its information from somewhere about the parking brake.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck & Marca View Post
I have an intermittent issue with the parking brake indicator/light on the Silverleaf monitor drive screen. The parking brake seems to be working as it should regarding holding the coach OK when activated and releasing OK when deactivated with the push/pull handle on the dash. However, the problem happens when parked for a while like in a campground or in my building at home. The indicator on the Silverleaf shows that it is no longer in park and keeps me from deploying jacks, slides, and Smart Beds. To fix the problem, I turn the key on and pull out on the push/pull handle on the dash. Starting the engine also fixes it. The whole time this is happening, the parking brake is holding the coach just fine until I release it with the push/pull switch. To me it seems to be the handle on the dash not staying put. Or could it be an air leak somewhere? If it were an air leak it looks like the parking brake would not be holding/releasing properly. I have a chassis repairman coming to take a look at it in the morning but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem. My searches on this forum did not reveal any other problems like this one. Thanks for your help on this.
I might be 100% wrong. But try this.
Look under the dash at the back of the switch. There are two posts with wires and nuts holding them on. One is loose.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #4

This probably won't solve your problem, but WRV did not use a dash air gauge only low air warning light buzzer. You have no idea how much air pressure you have except it keeps the light off.

I installed a truck air pressure gauge on the dash. It is pretty simple to run 1/4" plastic air hose from the air tank to the dash. I did have low air pressure problems twice. Once there was a check valve in the air compressor stuck and the other time going down the freeway, I air leak in the sewer hose retract valve. I was worried about the parking brake coming on from low air pressure. With a gauge I know what I have for air pressure.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Parking Brake Issue

If the park brake is holding, and the Silverleaf is showing the brake is not engaged you need to check the wires on the back of the parking switch. Even if they are loose (if not completely disconnected) the higher resistance would appear to the Silverleaf as not engaged. Although I do not have the Silverleaf on my '05, I have had the parking brake light not going on and it was the wires being loose.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

Sorry that it has taken so long for me to respond but I wanted to make sure the problem was fixed. You all know how those intermittent problems are. You think they are fixed and they aren't. Anyway, Chuck's cousin, checked under the dash where the parking brake switch is and for sure both of the posts' nuts were loose. One was almost ready to fall off. He tightened both of them up and the problem went away.

I believe this has plagued this coach for several years as there were times when the slides, smart beds, etc. just wouldn't deploy. Finally, after checking everything we could think of and messing with numerous things, they suddenly started working again. Never could explain it. The safeties built into the system were keeping things from working. If it ain't in park you can't do those things. Anyway, thanks again.

Prior to Chuck's passing, I promised him I would give solo RV'ing a try and this is my first season alone. I think I am doing OK and thank all of you for your help, support, and encouragement. Without IRV2 I wouldn't even have attempted it. Safe travels to all!

Still living our dream!
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

Hope to see you at a rally soon Marca
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Marca,

We are down in Indy if you ever want some company at a local or not so local campground. Not sure you will recall, but we met you and Chuck at Indy Lakes in Indianapolis a few years back.

Travel safe!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Engineer Mike. I hope to get to a rally this summer but don't know if it will be west of the Mississippi at least this year. Still in Florida but getting ready to head home for the summer.

Tom and Patty, Yes, I sure do remember you folks from Indy Lakes and will sure look you up when I go through Indy. Thanks!

Tags
brake