Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Passenger Seat

I have lost all electricity to the passenger seat on our 2005 34 ft. Alpine. None of the functions at the switch work. I can not find any fuses that might supply power to the seat. (Fuse panel in front of seat, Battery Bay and Main Fuse panel in area by bathroom). I can not find where the wires that are feeding the switches go to other than down and thru the floor under the seat. All the connections seem to be tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. --Tom--

TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did it just happen or has any work been done on your unit lately?? The reason I mention this is the fact if any work has been done most often something was compromised during that work. Having spent 35 years in the classroom teaching this stuff that's always a good place to start.

I'm not familiar with your unit but I'm sure there will be somebody who will chime in soon and probably even have schematics so you can trouble shoot your issue.

TeJay

Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJames View Post
I have lost all electricity to the passenger seat on our 2005 34 ft. Alpine. None of the functions at the switch work. I can not find any fuses that might supply power to the seat. (Fuse panel in front of seat, Battery Bay and Main Fuse panel in area by bathroom). I can not find where the wires that are feeding the switches go to other than down and thru the floor under the seat. All the connections seem to be tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. --Tom--
That happened to us. I unplugged the connector under the seat and cleaned up the contacts and added a light film of dielectric grease and it has not acted up since and that was 3 years ago.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Did it just happen or has any work been done on your unit lately?? The reason I mention this is the fact if any work has been done most often something was compromised during that work. Having spent 35 years in the classroom teaching this stuff that's always a good place to start.

I'm not familiar with your unit but I'm sure there will be somebody who will chime in soon and probably even have schematics so you can trouble shoot your issue.

TeJay
From another ret auto shop teacher i always looked at any modifications
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Check the fuse in the ceiling of the battery box.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
stink,
You're a retired auto shop teacher and your wife is a retired nurse. That's scary.
We ought to work at getting together. We would have a lot in common and so do the DW's.

TeJay
Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

If the above doesn't cure the situation, cycle the batteries of them on & retry the seat.
If that doesn't work check the wiring that is more or less stapled to the ceiling of the wheel well below the seat. Could be some road debris knicked the wiring
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Mike - After reading Tjay's reply to my electrical problem I remembered that I had to have the speedometer head sent back to Actic's for repair. I do not have a wiring diagram for my coach but do you think it is possible that there was a wire in the instrument panel that at was undone and not hooked back up? --Tom--
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

TomJames,

This happened to my coach as well. The problem was traced to WRV making the wires too short for full seat travel. The wires pulled out of the connector. Check it out.

sdcyclist
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
TomJames,
I believe the seat power is on all the time which means n=that it is not switched by the ignition switch. A lot of things are. So even if they didn't fool around with wires at the ignition switch it's VERY possible that they screwed with something accidentally. When working in and around the dash often time stuff is so hard to get to one has to stretch, lean, push, tug etc and things can and will become dislodged.

You should be able to get a schematic either from these forums, or on-line. I bought an old (probably 60's or earlier) Delta drill press and found a complete manual with pictures on-line.

I know in our MH all the wires are marked with ways to identify what they do and if they are a ground, hot lead or a control. Our 1999 Dutch Star did and so does the WBGO that we now have.

Best of luck

TeJay
Old 04-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Tom- both Driver's & Passenger's seats are powered off the same circuit in the chassis wire loom appropriately called SEAT_x, with the 'x' being the leg of the circuit in question (and with the x's stated here all on chassis side of firewall). PS seat is SEAT_B, ends in a female spade terminal and is accompanied by a black #14 labeled 1435 (ground). SEAT_C is the DS, & SEAT_A is the power to the circuit out of the large front "cannon" plug thru firewall. Circuit is powered on the cab side of firewall from pins 23 & 35 of the J3 plug on front Vansco VMM, which #18 wires are spliced to a #14 wire to the cab side of cannon plug. On the gen side of firewall, a #12 wire leaves the large cannon plug as SEAT_A, then splices to two #14 wires- SEAT_B & SEAT_C.
I'm taking all that off the Dash Wire Loom schematic I have for 2005 Ltd Vansco coaches.

In short, if either seat is working, the other not, then the trouble is in the leg of the circuit to the inop seat and not at its voltage source. If both are not working, reboot Vansco's & recheck, if still not working, trouble is in the A leg from Vansco VMM at front thru the large "cannon" plug in firewall, to the the subsequent splice just before the wire loom turns out under the floor branching to the seats, gen slide actuator & fuel sending unit.
And that's all I know.