Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Perfect Storm

Hi All,

When it rains, it pours! I went in for battery service and discovered that the 8 year old batteries (all 8 of them) were bulging and needed replacement. After the new batteries were installed, I asked the service group to check all functions to make sure my electrical systems were ok. Later that day, I got a call that my Xantrex RS 3000 inverter was dead. It was replaced with a Magnum 2800. As I went in to assess the installation progress (due for the Alpine SoCal Rally that day), a white Mercedes Sprinter pulled up and parked next to my coach. I watched in horror as the Sprinter customer reversed his passenger front end into the side of my coach. Cost--$2700 damage to my Alpine! Fortunately, their insurance covered the cost. We made it to the rally although I was a bit frazzled!

sdcyclist
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Sorry--but I am really suspicious that your inverter "failed" at exactly the same time as you were having your batteries replaced. I am familiar with the saying about the rain and pouring; I am also familiar with the saying "what a coincidence????" Perhaps the battery replacement didnt go as well as it should have----hummmmm?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry about you problems It is easy to fry an inverter/charger if the batteries are shorted and the charger is working itself to death trying to charge the batteries. Not fun and the Sprinter is worse.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

OH my,my hear goes out to you at what an expense!!
Rich & Rhonda Duppman
snowbell55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Same thing happened to us, when the MH sat unplugged in for 8 months while they were fixing it. Believe the repair place plugged in the MH incorrectly, and took out the unit first thing, was not discovered until "I was informed the coach was ready", when in fact it was not, 6 weeks later it was. Magnum is TOL inverter and field repairable, love ours.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Old RV'r

I agree--the remote is much simpler so that even my technology challenged co-pilot can operate it now. The RS 3000 had to many screens to navigate before you got to the inverter on entry.

sdcyclist
Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

I can empathise, took my coach in for an alternator and chassis battery issue and wound up also doing the dreaded radiator replacement!! Amazing how fast the charges can pile up.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote