Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Ping 4 wire

OK all you electrical geniuses, I need your help. I have an 03 Alpine Coach. My Cruise Control & Variable speed wiper buttons on the Smart Wheel quit working. I called VIP (makers of the Smart Wheel) and they say that I have lost power to the PING 4 wire that goes into the J2 plug on the Controller. This wire (PING 4) only receives power when the ignition switch is on. I have tested the PING 4 wire at the J2 plug and sure enough, no power. I am trying to find where the other end of PING 4 attaches to. Does anyone have any information that can help me? It"s a Spaghetti factory under here.

Frank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

Intersting--the CC on my 03 just started to act up. Think I'd look at the "switched" 12v fuse box behind the panel in front of the passengers seat [under dash]. If "no joy" then think I'd just run a minimum fused wire from the switched box to the PING 4 wire and not worry about finding the source.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

How bout that thing in your steering wheel called a "clock spring". That sends power to a relay that controls your wipers etc. I've had that fail twice once on our 2003 Alpine and on our current machine an 05 Navigator.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's. My wheel has the 2 wire feed, no clock spring. I just called vip back to ask another question. I got a different guy who had a different answer than I was given the first time. He says the p i g n 4 bypass will fix the intermittent wiper button but not the cruise control. Now I don't know what to believe. I had a water leak at that end of the windshield, so I don't know if the controller got wet or not. I opened it up, no burn out marks. I decided to order a new controller, original being sm209, replaced by sm210.
$180.00. I will post when I install it next week.

Opinions are always appreciated.

Frank
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #5

UPDATE: Installed new controller, no change. I called VIP back and got the original technical support person. He insisted that his diagnosis was correct, and it was. I installed a bypass feed to the "switched" terminal like Old Scout suggested, and it fixed all my problems.

Thanks, Old Scout.

Frank
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Good news--hope mine turns out to be as easy to fix. Havent had a chance yet to look into what is going on--appreciate your efforts with the initial diagnostics.....
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Frank--thought you be interested to know--as stated above, the Cruise Control [CC] on my 03 stopped working on last trip. Based on your experience, I started investigating--turned out the entire left-hand keypad on the smartwheel had stopped working--eg, no CC controls, no bright light "flash" button. So removed the four screws from below that hold the keypad in place, removed the keypad from the wheel, removed/reseated the multi-plug on the keypad a couple times, and bingo, all CC and flash functions returned. Not enough data points [ie just a short trip around the block] but so far, left-hand smartwheel keypad is working......
PS--Have to wonder now if "ping 4" is a direct feed from switched power box or from the CC on/off button on the smartwheel?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #8

If you have returning issues, call vip and ask for Dan. Avoid Victor, he seems to be a little nervous sounding on the phone, which makes me think he is fairly new and unsure of himself. Dan really knows his stuff. I did a lot of research on smart wheel issues, and most were caused by pinched wires, dirty or bad plug inns, or clock spring. I first thought that my wheel was pre clock spring, but I found it when I opened everything up. If it were me, I would open up the column, (2 part plastic housing just snaps off) cut all zip ties and unplug all connections. Spray connections with electrical cleaner, let dry, and plug back in. Re attach zip ties a little looser than factory install.

Frank