Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #1

We are relatively new owners of our Alpine MH. We have owned MH's for over 25 years, but the Alpine is so much more technically advanced to anything we owned before. We put our MH in storage for anything from 1 to 6 weeks at a time. The questions I have are:
1) should I disconnect house and auto batteries for storage or just turn off the inverter? Will my solar panel (100 watt) still charge the batteries when the disconnect switch is in the off position? I found that the inverter does not get turned off just because I switch off the batteries.
2) I read in other threads about people refering to their Alpine "owners manual". When I received my Alpine I received two large folders full of information on the various systems (HWH, Hydro-hot, King dome, etc etc) but did not receive what I would consider an owners manual that speaks specifically to the coach itself. Should I be going back to the dealer asking for mine or are others talking about the folders I already have?

I have learned sooooo much about my Alpine from this forum and really appreciate all the input everyone puts into it. Now lets just hope the change at WRV ownership and management improves some of the service issues
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #2

We are relatively new owners of our Alpine MH. We have owned MH's for over 25 years, but the Alpine is so much more technically advanced to anything we owned before. We put our MH in storage for anything from 1 to 6 weeks at a time. The questions I have are:
1) should I disconnect house and auto batteries for storage or just turn off the inverter? Will my solar panel (100 watt) still charge the batteries when the disconnect switch is in the off position? I found that the inverter does not get turned off just because I switch off the batteries.
2) I read in other threads about people refering to their Alpine "owners manual". When I received my Alpine I received two large folders full of information on the various systems (HWH, Hydro-hot, King dome, etc etc) but did not receive what I would consider an owners manual that speaks specifically to the coach itself. Should I be going back to the dealer asking for mine or are others talking about the folders I already have?

I have learned sooooo much about my Alpine from this forum and really appreciate all the input everyone puts into it. Now lets just hope the change at WRV ownership and management improves some of the service issues
Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hrhuggie:.........
The questions I have are:
2) I read in other threads about people refering to their Alpine "owners manual". When I received my Alpine I received two large folders full of information on the various systems (HWH, Hydro-hot, King dome, etc etc) but did not receive what I would consider an owners manual that speaks specifically to the coach itself. Should I be going back to the dealer asking for mine or are others talking about the folders I already have? ........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since your coach is a 2007, you should be able to leave the Coach plugged into shore power 24/7 for as long as you want, but you need to check the battery water every 3 to 4 weeks while the coach is "in-storage". Your Solar Panel should charge the batteries all the time, even if the main disconnect is off. If you do not have 120 volt AC shore power available in your storage location, and you intend to store for more than two or three weeks, then you should disconnect the house and chasis batteries with their respective main disconnect switches. Some owners will remove their chasis battery (or batteries) to their homes (or a location with 120 volt AC) and attach a Battery Minder Pro or similar 4 stage charger to the chassis batteries until they are ready to take the coach out of long term storage. You should also treat your fuel if you are going to be in storage for over two months.
Most coach manufacturers provide a large "Binder" type manual that usually gives step by step instructions on using all the systems included with the coach as well as maintenance and winterizing , etc., etc., in addition to all the individual suppliers literature. I would ask your dealer about the "OWNERS MANUAL". Sometimes the "OWNERS MANUAL" is delayed for a few months if there is a substancial number of changes from the previous year model. Some Coach Manufacturers will even give you a previous years manual to use until the new manuals are available from the printers.

Good luck with your new coach! Glenn
Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome - Hugh & Cyndi!

We just had dinner in Banning at "Grammas" on our way home from AZ. It was a "ritual" of ours for almost 50 years (since we were kids)to eat at San Gorgonio Inn when passing through Banning - but now that it has closed - "Grammas" is pretty good!

There is definitely an Alpine Owners Manual that goes with your rig! Go back to your Dealer and ask for it. I would also guess that you might be missing alot of the booklets about the various components. At least we had that experience when we picked up our '07 at the factory. There were at least 12 that were missing that WRV eventually mailed to us. I would first go to your Dealer tho' and try to get any missing paperwork from him.

I hope that you have joined ACA and the Southern California Chapter - (you can get applications from WRV website) - and do plan on joining us at Quartzsite in January! Look forward to meeting you.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #5

Thanks Glenn,
our storage location does not have 120 available to us and we rarely leave the coach out of service more than a couple of weeks, but with all of the different threads that I had read about battery drain when not on shore power I thought I would ask about my 100 watt solar and if I should disconnect the batteries. I had always disconnected before on previous motorhomes and my solar had always kept the batteries up but I wasnt sure on the Alpine.

The Swans,
next time through give us a call and we will join you at Grammas. We have only lived in Banning a couple of years but love the area. Our daughter and Son in law live in HB harbor on one of the Islands so we are down that way fairly oftenn also. I will go back to the dealer for the owners manual... my last coach didnt have one either so thats why I asked. Many threads made it sound like I should have one. I have gone through most of the systems booklets and think I have almost everything that I should have except the Owners Manual

We have joined FMCA, the dealer said that they would get us ACA membership the first year, so we are waiting on that so we can also join the so cal chapter. Planning on being at the DRR in January and Las Vegas in Feb (I think) and of course Hemet is so close, we will be there too baring any problems between now and then.

Hugh and Cyndi Reed