Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #1

The track bar on the front suspension of my 2000 Alpine makes a knocking noise every time I hit a bump. When I crawl under the motorhome I can wiggle the bar and feel play between item 12 and 25 on page 6 of the Suspension Manual.

http://www.hollandhitch.com/NR/rdonlyres/6A2F722D-3C33-...XLAK38501RevBweb.pdf

Does anyone have any experience on how to remedy this issue?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #2

The track bar on the front suspension of my 2000 Alpine makes a knocking noise every time I hit a bump. When I crawl under the motorhome I can wiggle the bar and feel play between item 12 and 25 on page 6 of the Suspension Manual.

http://www.hollandhitch.com/NR/rdonlyres/6A2F722D-3C33-...XLAK38501RevBweb.pdf

Does anyone have any experience on how to remedy this issue?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Similar situation on my 2003--the bolts that fasten the track bar ends to the frame/axle havent compressed the flanges sufficiently to trap the steel bushing between the flanges. End result--I suspect the steel bushings rattle/knock on the bolts Vs having the rubber mountings take the shock. Solution--use a 3/4" drive and a long handle to add some shims or squeeze the flanges against the steel bushing. Did I mention the need for some muscles.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
Linda and i had a 2000 coach with the exact same thing. I spoke with Gary Jones, the chassis designer, and he advised me that the mounting brackets were 1/4 inch wider than the track bar ends resulting in slack and the noise we all hear. Corrective Action: Torque teh very large bolts down tight enough to bent the brackets for a tight fit. Note: torque up around 500 Ft Pounds. I had Freightliner in Yakama do mine while they were doing the brake caliper fix in about 2002. Once tight, all is quite in teh Western front. He He!
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

I would think adding appropriate washers on each side of the bushing would be a better solution than bending the bracket with 500 ft. pounds of torque.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

We did have a rattle (heavy) and it was a loose track bar bracket. But we still have another rattle up front.

You may have just found my rattle .

Now those 500 ft/lbs, do I use a 3/8 drive or the 1/4 drive ? I hate to snap bolts .
Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #7

I have what I suspect to be the same noise issue. I'm no lightweight but 500 #' of Torque is a bit beyond my reach. Even with a 1/4" drive.

I'll try the shim route.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #8

Well if the track bar is the same as others have called the "steering drag link" then I had the problem which no on could find for a few months after I got the coach last April. Finally, someone spotted that the bearings at both ends were "shot" - a technical term for "pretty much gone." Tried to get the end pieces from WRV and their supplier wouldn't supply them so had to buy the whole bar. It did cure the problem - just a little more expensive than if I had been able to get just the end pieces with the bearings.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #9

Whoops... just looked at the exploded parts diagram and the track bar is a different part than my steering drag link. Oh well, what do you expect from a retired accountant.....
Now you know about my steering drag link bearing problem.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #10

If there is end play between the bracket holding the track bar end piece and the track bar, I would have thought it would have been taken up by rubber washers rather than metal. It appears that there would be some relative motion between the bracket and bar and since there is no lube point, two rubber washers seem to be appropriate to go on between the bar and bracket.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #11

Steve has it about right--normally, the rubber bushings would absorb all the shock on the ends of the track bar. However, since the mounting flanges are too wide, the steel spacers [inside the rubber bushings], move around between the flanges, bypassing the dampening that would be provided by the rubber bushings.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote