Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
My generator quit working a couple of days ago and yesterday I found a place that could "squeeze" me in. They were very busy with the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

The short version is, the main cable that connects the gen to the coach drops down behind the gen when you slide the gen in and it pulls the electrical conduit and wires out of the box where it attaches to the underside of the coach.

To try to clarify this to maybe help others, it is about a one inch diameter conduit that comes out of the passengers side front corner on top of the gen and then goes into a box attached to the underside of the coach.

These wires were pulled apart and there was some burnt wiring inside the box. I guess I missed my chance to have a fire and total loss.

Three hours and $300 later I learn that this is not an Onan problem but it is the way WRV installed the system. I wonder how much more I will have to pour into this coach.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #2

My generator quit working a couple of days ago and yesterday I found a place that could "squeeze" me in. They were very busy with the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

The short version is, the main cable that connects the gen to the coach drops down behind the gen when you slide the gen in and it pulls the electrical conduit and wires out of the box where it attaches to the underside of the coach.

To try to clarify this to maybe help others, it is about a one inch diameter conduit that comes out of the passengers side front corner on top of the gen and then goes into a box attached to the underside of the coach.

These wires were pulled apart and there was some burnt wiring inside the box. I guess I missed my chance to have a fire and total loss.

Three hours and $300 later I learn that this is not an Onan problem but it is the way WRV installed the system. I wonder how much more I will have to pour into this coach.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #3

We have the same situation with our 07 Apex. Our generator still runs okay but the conduit is kinked at the J-box. We brought this to WRV's attention but they refused to acknowledge there was any problem to be corrected. We had this same issue on our previous 99 Alpine. What did Onan do to correct this issue on your coach?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #4

I relocated the cable on top of the generator where the electrical clamp was to a place that allowed the cable to fold back properly and not pull when you open the generator slide.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed & Diane:
We have the same situation with our 07 Apex. Our generator still runs okay but the conduit is kinked at the J-box. We brought this to WRV's attention but they refused to acknowledge there was any problem to be corrected. We had this same issue on our previous 99 Alpine. What did Onan do to correct this issue on your coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The place where I had the repairs done said, "If it outside of the green box, it is not an Onan issue" The service guy said it is an Alpine coach issue and as we all know, we are screwed from that aspect.

I have been receiving e mails from a guy named Rick Barna telling me about a bunch of Alpines back east that are being sold about 50% off. I e mailed him and asked him why I would want to buy another set of problems, when I already owned an Alpine Apex. I got no response from him.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
My 2003 had the same problem right off the bat. The wiring was disconnected, a pigtail added to extend it and then re-clamped. New off the line with this problem. Repaired under warranty. You'd think it would have been solved over the years. Seems simple, longer wiring, better routing. Talk about undermining yourself!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

I suppose blaming WRV might make us all feel better but it wont solve our current or future problems with these coaches. This forum and the people who contribute to it are about the only lifelines we have now. Fact is, there was an extensive thread in the forum just a fews week ago that pleaded with owners to check for loose wires in this junction box. Guess its time for all of us to "cowboy-up" --there is no one left to blame or to help us take care of our toys.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #8

Old Scout,

Maybe if I were not on the road, had wi fi acess every day, and had nothing better to do than read this forum every day, I might have seen the "extensive thread" you are referring to.

I don't know who else to put the blame on since WRV built this coach and did the wiring job.

When they built the Apex, I think that is when they went in way over their heads. Most of the many problems I have had have been electrical. Some of them have been as simple as a terminal that never got tightened. Simple yes, but when you don't know where every terminal is located, they are hard to locate.

Maybe someone can let me know where to find that thread.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
hax

big jimbo: I crawled under my coach and found a square electrical box hanging by the elctrical cable from the coach and the generator. Was yours secured to the top of the compartment? If so where? I'm wondering if this is what is rattling under the front of the coach, I thought my steps where rattling but everything is tight there.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #10

Hax,

Yes it was attached to the bottom of the coach, about center line from side to side, and towards the rear of the generator area.

I would think you would be able to see some holes where it was, if WRV even bothered to attach it in the first place.

Engineer Mike is correct, the Alpine Coach is the ultimate do it yourself project, but I did not buy a motor home to work on it.

I would have just about as well off if they had just sold me a box of parts and let me put it together myself.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

Maybe I'ts just me, but a box of parts seems a wee bit more trouble than no factory. Course then QC would be all my fault. Hmmm...

Not that no factory is the sweetest thing ever
Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #12

From reading all the post I believe Alpine owners are much better educated on the problems with there coach. When you get right down to it all coaches are made about the same (value considered). PM or issues should is very easy to identify if you do your research and most problems are consistant coach to coach. Most of all the problems I have read about (same ones you have) or encountered are adressed before the become an issue.

Jim
06 Apex
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't know who else to put the blame on since WRV built this coach and did the wiring job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of this because you had to spend $300? I'm sorry, but if $300 bothers you then you are in for a lot of worry. Budget so much per month for repairs/service/upgrades and get on with life. Yes, WRV died. A lot of people were hoping they could hang on because we really do love our coaches, warts and all. But it doesn't do any good to fuss about it now. Now is the time to work with others to get a good handle on your coach, what can/could be a problem, do PM and get on with life. Or sell it - that is always an option for you.

I realize I sound harsh, but life is to short to get so vexed over things that you can not change.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #14

The $300 is not the point, although it is aggrivating.

The point is, if the coach had been built properly and had a decent QC inspection at the factory, this kind of stuff would not and should not happen.

I am not new to the RV scene, have RV'd on and off since the mid sixties, and no I was not part of the drug culture.

I have owned the best. My last coach was a 1997 Prevost/Marathon with no slides. My wife was taken by the four slide Apex.

I realize that selling it is an option, but the value of my coach, which was brand new last Sept., is greatly reduced by the closure of the factory.