Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #1

Hi Folks!

I don't know if someone else has identified this product, but this week we bought a MasterFlow "Tsunami" 1050 Portable Air Compressor. It runs off 12 volts - clip it to a battery.
http://www.dv-innovations.com/products/mf_50.htm

Pepboys carries this product for $60.

We were able to air up our rear tires to 110 psi and front to 120 psi. No problem! Worked like a champ. Not that slow either.

It is quite compact. It has an air gauge on it. You actually screw the air hose into the tire and then you can watch the gauge on the compressor and turn it off there.

We hooked it to the coach chassis battery to air the rear tires, and ran it off our jeep to air the front.

We actually never tried to use the coach's air compressor to air up our tires. It's kind of a pain to have to run the engine, etc. We are either setup with slides out or packing to move - the coach never sits around "parked".

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #2

Hi Folks!

I don't know if someone else has identified this product, but this week we bought a MasterFlow "Tsunami" 1050 Portable Air Compressor. It runs off 12 volts - clip it to a battery.
http://www.dv-innovations.com/products/mf_50.htm

Pepboys carries this product for $60.

We were able to air up our rear tires to 110 psi and front to 120 psi. No problem! Worked like a champ. Not that slow either.

It is quite compact. It has an air gauge on it. You actually screw the air hose into the tire and then you can watch the gauge on the compressor and turn it off there.

We hooked it to the coach chassis battery to air the rear tires, and ran it off our jeep to air the front.

We actually never tried to use the coach's air compressor to air up our tires. It's kind of a pain to have to run the engine, etc. We are either setup with slides out or packing to move - the coach never sits around "parked".

Audrey

Old 03-10-2006, 05:22 AM   #3

I had an aunt visit for Thanksgiving one year. We noticed she had a low tire. She had one of these, well, maybe not this exact model, but similar, so we hooked it to her tire on her car. I figured it would take awhile so we went back in. About 15 minutes later we came back to check on it. The tire had about 80 psi in it. Why it didn't blow was beyond me.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #4

Audrey & John,
I am really surprised that that little air pump has the (CFM)volume of air to fill the tires on the motorhome, but per you it does. I need to go to 120# so it would be interesting if it will do 120#. App. how long did it take you to pump a tire from whatever to 110#? I just purchased the Bendix check valve to go on the Cummins Air Compressor 400ISL-115-135PSI, P/N 283657D-2. This will let your compressor put out 135 lbs. of air but if you can use the little portable unit relatively quickly then that is the way to go.
Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
2006PT Cruiser CT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #5

Ted,

Where did you go to purchase the Bendix check valve? The Cummins rep at the Homecoming rally mentioned it, but the local Coach Care couldn't tell me anything about it.

Is it a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ted III:
Audrey & John,
I am really surprised that that little air pump has the (CFM)volume of air to fill the tires on the motorhome, but per you it does. I need to go to 120# so it would be interesting if it will do 120#. App. how long did it take you to pump a tire from whatever to 110#? I just purchased the Bendix check valve to go on the Cummins Air Compressor 400ISL-115-135PSI, P/N 283657D-2. This will let your compressor put out 135 lbs. of air but if you can use the little portable unit relatively quickly then that is the way to go.
Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
2006PT Cruiser CT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It took just a few mins - maybe 5 mins at the most to bring each tire up 8 to 10 lbs.

The air compressor says something like it's rated to 150 PSI but has a working pressure of 120 PSI? Whatever that means. We just wanted something that would go up to 120 PSI and this little puppy did the job. We got our front tires up to 120 PSI - no problem.

FWIW John checked the tires after filling them and the gauge on the air compressor matched his hand pressure gauge pretty well.

Audrey
Old 03-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #7

Adrey, I really am impressed, I would never have dreamed that little thing would do it. By far it is easier. I will get one tomorrow. It better work or I am going to send it to you. You are certain you werent doing the wheelbarrow tires after a party?
Thanks I appreciate it
Ted
2005 Alpine you all know the rest
Old 03-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #8

Hey - John spent a whole day doing web research on portable air compressors to find this thing! We didn't just stumble on it.

Good luck!

Audrey
Old 03-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #9

Thanks, Audrey & John! That little compressor really does the job! And it is small enough to carry in our jeep when we need to air-up after off-roading. A great find!

Elinor Aderton & Bob McIntosh
2002 36FDDS
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv2bike:
Thanks, Audrey & John! That little compressor really does the job! And it is small enough to carry in our jeep when we need to air-up after off-roading. A great find!

Elinor Aderton & Bob McIntosh
2002 36FDDS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great! Believe me we were thrilled to find it! John actually found it by reading some Off-road Enthusiast web-sites.

Audrey
Old 03-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #11

Jim A, I may have responded sooner through regular e mail, but if not I got it hrought WRV's store. Either Mike or Dave gave me the numbers and the gal in the store called me and asked if I wanted to order it. I do not know there number anymore but I just went throught the WRV switchboard.If you have any problem at all please call me.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
2006 Chrysler PT GT