Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #1

Been giving this subject a lot of thought. As I said before, we have an SUV (toad) that has the same basic brake system. That is, it has a hydroboost system with a 12volt electric motor that backs up the power steering pump if the engine fails. and the foundation brakes are hydraulic disc (all around). The brakes are so powerful that it is easier to push on the brake pedal than the throttle. Actually it is a bit too severe.
with regard to the Alpine problem: what if we installed a new master cylinder (hydroboost) that had a somewhat smaller (in diameter) piston. I think this would make pushing the brake pedal easier, but would require a longer stroke to make the coach stop. I did see on hydroboost's website that they have a mastercylinder with a smaller diameter piston.
What do you think of this idea?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #2

Been giving this subject a lot of thought. As I said before, we have an SUV (toad) that has the same basic brake system. That is, it has a hydroboost system with a 12volt electric motor that backs up the power steering pump if the engine fails. and the foundation brakes are hydraulic disc (all around). The brakes are so powerful that it is easier to push on the brake pedal than the throttle. Actually it is a bit too severe.
with regard to the Alpine problem: what if we installed a new master cylinder (hydroboost) that had a somewhat smaller (in diameter) piston. I think this would make pushing the brake pedal easier, but would require a longer stroke to make the coach stop. I did see on hydroboost's website that they have a mastercylinder with a smaller diameter piston.
What do you think of this idea?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Stretch,

I build a VW based dune buggy once, used a bus master cylinder with sedan brakes. It required too much pedal pressure to stop. The bus master cylinder had a larger diameter piston that the sedan's, I changed to the sedan's smaller cylinder and all was well.

A question for the engineers. My complaint with the new brakes is that it requires too much pedal pressure to bring the coach to a complete stop at slow speeds as in traffic or at an off ramp. It is like you have to keep adding pressure until a dead stop. I notice that in all of my cars it requires that you reduce the pressure on the brake pedal to come to a smooth stop under the same conditions. What's up with this?

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #4

I've watched my hot-rodder buddies swap master cylinders and/or boost packages to fine tune braking to the needs of a new-from-junk project car. They are resolving the brake design by trial & error. That isn't the problem here.
This is an issue of coach driver experiences not matching the norm for the design rather than the design exhibiting problems for all drivers. So its either an out of spec driver, or an out of spec system. The system specs can be checked objectively, tho its a bit of a project.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #5

Mike:

got lots of windshield time in many types of vehicles, including 9 motor homes some of which have had air brakes. Lots of time in cars, suvs, and trucks all the way up to 10 wheelers with air brakes. I do know how to apply brakes. The brakes on my 03 40fdts are too hard to apply. Alpine advertises that the coach has car like controls. It does not.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #6

Stretch- just keeping the scientific focus. I wasn't trying to imply... Really, I didn't mean it.

I'm scum.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I am with Stretch. I too have driven MANY RVs, trucks, vans, race cars, dune buggys, etc. The only vehicle that I can remember requiring this much pedal pressure was one with out power brakes. If I had been smart enough to test drive the newer coaches I might not have "upgraded". My 2002 was a pleasure to drive.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote