Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Possible cutting board?

In our kitchen, above the top drawer stack of 4 drawers, there looks to be a recessed board??? It seems to be loose but I can't seem to move it. Even tried taking the drawer out. Is this just the top of the cabinet or is it supposed to be a cutting board? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283614_1153968594632593_7568831190327056223_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	109660  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're talking about the area at the right end of the cabinets, next to the sofa, it does look like a slide out board or counter extension. It most likely has a latch or 'hold back' so it doesn't fly out on left turns. Try lifting the front edge to see if it has a notch to hold it in. If that doesn't work, feel inside the top drawer for a latch or lever to release it.

Next time you might get a little closer when you take a photo!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

I know. It was the only picture I had with me.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure someone with an Alpine will be along shortly to share the secret!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

I thought I posted this in the Alpine Coach Owners Forum?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

In our '05 it is a cutting board. If I remember right ours has Velcro on the inside end. You should be able to remove the top drawer and feel around the back edge and get a better idea of how it's held in the stow position. There is something back there that keeps it from sliding out while you drive.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
I thought I posted this in the Alpine Coach Owners Forum?
You did.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Thank you!!!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

YUP--its a cutting board but the velcro holds it in pretty tight. Not sure how many owners actually ever use it--being made of wood and stored where it is--keeping it clean and sanitary is not really handy/useful.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Dreamacre,

Yes, that is a cutting board, the problem is most likely humidity. WRV didn't leave a lot of play and most likely the board has swollen due to humidity. Wait 2-3 months, when the humidity drops in the winter you should be able to get it out. Also wipe the board, do not soak it or it will swell again.

There is a strip of Velcro on the back of the board, but it will let go. Once you get the board out sand the sides so that when it swells the board will still be able to be pulled out, the Velcro will hold it in place.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Possible cutting board?

This post reminded me that the last time we were out my wife told me she could not get the cutting board to extend (we live on Cape Cod so I know a little bit about humidity). By the way, this might be worth your time even if your cutting board is not YET stuck closed, it could be getting close, we did not have problems when we were in North Carolina, but we do here.

A little about how wood works. The cutting board is made of maple with a finger hold a each end. WRV made them pretty much universal, one end (finger hold) is maple the other is cherry so they could use it for either a dark or light interior, they would just stick the Velcro on the end that did not match the coach interior finish. The main part of the board is made of maple (a very hard wood, excellent for cutting boards). The end piece (finger hold) runs perpendicular to the main boards and has a rabbit cut into it (that small groove you see on the side of the board). It is meant to do 2 things, 1 as a finger hold and 2 to keep the main boards from warping. Wood moves with the seasons, as the humidity goes up the wood absorbs moisture and swells. A cutting board get wider (it does not get significantly longer, due to the alignment of the boards) with moisture. When WRV put the opening in the cabinet for the cutting board they did not allow enough space for the cutting board and the cabinet to swell with moisture.

The cure is remove the cutting board and sand the sides. This has a complication, getting the cutting board out is not going to be easy, it is swollen the full length of the board. I used a 4' wood clamp to force it out, but I would not recommend that unless you are comfortable working wood. Best to put a dehumidifier in the coach, or go to the desert for the winter, it will take some time for the wood to dry out.

Once you get it out sand the sides (I took about 1/8" off each side of the cutting board) so they are flush with the finger hold. While you have the cutting board out you could also put a little butchers (bowling alley) wax on the rails in the cabinet, this will not keep the cutting board from swelling, but it will let it move on the wooden rails in the cabinet a little smoother. Also be sure you only wipe your cutting board clean, do not soak it or submerge it in water.

Below is a picture of the cutting board after I got it out, you can see the board itself is a little proud of the finger hold across the front of the board.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445196829.428359.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	109861

Here is the board after I sanded it flush. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445196887.414223.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	109862

Here you can see the cherry end and the rabbit and the Velcro that I mentioned above (we have natural maple cabinets).Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445196945.432270.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	109863

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote