Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Chuck and Marca, I think I might have a problem similar to the one you did, but my fan is always running--even on cold start-up. The blades are a blur, so it's not just turning slowly, but it's not at full speed either. With the new controller, does your fan now stay off until your engine is warmed up?

My engine's working temps are usually in the 175 to 185 range, unless pulling a grade. The other symptom you mentioned is lower fuel mileage--what do you get now vs. the 2mpg less you were getting before? I'm trying to figure out if this adds up to a fan controller issue. You mentioned temperature sensors so I guess that would be the first thing to check. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
I think that the fan will run on high speed on cold start up if the dash air conditioner is on. Make sure the a/c is off when checking.

JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Jim--Thanks. A/C was not on, and the fan was not running full-speed on start-up.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
My fan comes on as soon as I cold start the engine even with the a/c off. So I think its always running but at different speeds depending on temp. My running temp are 185 to 195 when not pulling a big hill.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #33

Fan speed at idle is supposed to be ~850 rpm per a discussion I had w/WRV when my 06 fan was turning 0 rpm on idle, and in 1st gear, and overheating in traffic. You should be able to see blades but barely.
If you're in the neighborhood I could put the non-contact rpm meter on it and check.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Mike--I think the fan speed at idle is about what you say it should be. The blades are a blur but you can almost see them. The next suspect I guess would be the coolant thermostat. I'm changing the coolant next week, so I can check the thermostat opening temp. That would be a much easier fix that a fan controller.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #35

For the price of a T-stat, If I was opening the t-stat housing I'd order two gaskets and one t-stat, put in the new stat and keep the old one + extra gasket for a spare. But that's me.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
John and Lori,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. When we had the problem, the fan was not on high initially upon engine start up but it seemed that as soon as an event triggered it, it never shut off. Wiggling the wires after initial start up caused it to go to high immediately. Since we have had the new controller, we are fairly sure it is not on high at engine start up and know that the fan is kicking in and out. The constant high pitched noise especially at lower engine speeds is gone.

We will be traveling the next few days, severe weather here permitting, and will be a little more observant as to if it comes on high or not upon startup. We will try it with and without the air conditioner on to check the actual operation.

We haven't had a chance to verify the increase in fuel mileage but hope to do so soon. The Silverleaf indicates that it has improved. Exactly how much we don't know.

Hope this helps. Will keep you posted.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Since all this talk about temp. I had noticed at hwy speed the temp is below 175. So maybe I also have a problem. I have not noticed any excessive fan noise but the blades are a blur. What to check first? I tried moving the wires on the controller but no change in speed.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #38

Hello Twomed. sent an earlier request for offline contact. Could not determine if that attempt work, thought I would try again. my eMail is bcbc5@att.net. regards Cummin's fan control module and your research.
thanks
bruce
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Question

Hi Bunnz, Were you needing some information from TwoMed or Chuck & Marca? I sent a response to your offline request this morning. Thanks, Marca

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote