Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Possible purchase of 05 Limited 40FDQS

Possible purchase of 05 40fdqs, I know the Alpines are a great RV and was hoping people with 05 quad slide could comment on pro's and con's of the quad slide. I have been reading and lurking about the Alpines forum hoping to learn about them. Purchase process will take some time but DW and I are excited to get the Alpine.
Thanks
Ralph
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

We really like the quad slide coaches as there is quite a bit more room when they are out. One thing to watch out for is how accessible is everything when the slides are in. We actually have our 05 Allegro bus for sale and one thing we always liked about it was the ability to use two slides on either side to give you extra room when in tight places. Either bedroom slide out gives you room to walk around the bed. Or both will give you lots of room. We actually have that one for sale as we have moved into a bigger tag axle bus. Check it out in the classifieds. 20005 Allegro Bus 40' QDP Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Ralph Welcome to the Alpine Coach Forum. I think you will like the 40ft, FDQS. I know many of the owners of the 40ft FDQS and they like it. If I were to ever purchase another Motorhome it would be an Alpine 40ft FDQS.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

I'm not an owner, but had Alpine on my short list when shopping. Especially if we had gone a few feet shorter, as they had mid entry doors that my wife likes. Good handling, good quality.

We at the Grand Canyon about a month ago, and talked to a nice couple from Oregon with a 40' Limited. The wife liked the interior, the husband liked the mechanical parts of the coach - they ordered it new, and have never looked back. He was towing a full size GMC 1500 4X4, and still said he had plenty of power. I know it was at least a 2005, but it could have been a 2006 (if they made 2006's?) - believe he said he had the ISL425, but may have been the 400 version. He knew it was for sure the VGT version.

Good looking, well cared for coach. And they had over 78K on it, and were planning another large 'loop of the states' in 2015!

Sorry I don't no more specifics on the coach you asked about, but wanted to share I feel Alpines are a good coach, and that this husband and wife really liked what they had. Sure, all coaches will have problems along the way, but a good foundation, and solid engineering - can make a difference!

Best to you on your hunt, and hope other Alpine Limited owners will update you with any concern areas to check out closely.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Thanks for all the comments. We are making plans to go and do a test drive and then do a PDI after the holidays! Can't go before then but we are excited about the trip and looking forward checking the Alpine over.

Ralph
Old 12-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
We have an 07 APEX 40FDQS and really like our coach. It has plenty of room, drives well and has been very reliable. This is our second Alpine and we would buy another if we were in the market for a motor home.
Good luck with your test drive.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #7

Thanks, Rusty Bear for the positive response.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #8

Hello Steved44, found it. Great job on the pictures and a fair workable price. Good luck.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
ralph0808, please be aware that there are a few issues related to an '05 Alpine Coach. All issues have to be identified and resolved by owners. The steering bracket is one example. I think the rear "huck bolts (sp?)" is another. Hopefully, the previous owner has resolved those issues.

I'm personally not familiar with all the possible issues but you can peruse this specific forum for related discussions. Or, perhaps someone with direct experience will chime in on this thread. Just trying to give you a heads up. The issues are very fixable.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Thanks Bob, this coach has about 64k miles on it and from looking at photos it appears to be very clean on the inside. Would you think with that many miles it would have had most of the issues repaired by now? The generator has about 2700 hours on it. So the systems have been used quite abit. But this is the type of responses that I need to see.
Thanks
Ralph
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Possible purchase of 05 Limited 40FDQS

Ralph, it true some of the 05's had issues, it depended upon when they were built. My coach was actually assembled in late 04, but it is a 38' FDTS and only has 3 slides, it has not had the problem with the steering bracket (although the I keep checking) or the huck bolts (which I checked). Both issues have extensive posts so if you have them it is easy to find the fixes. I do have the residential refrigerator and have replaced the control board resistor (problem is only with a modified sine wave inverter, which was used by WRV) so that problem is fixed. If you buy the coach and have this PM me and I can tell you what is needed. The other problem with some later build 05's is the slide hoses. WRV/HWH tried to reduce the costs by going to a different hose. If the coach has hoses that shine you are good to go, if they are a dull black they are the ones that have issues with the connectors.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #12

I just put my 2006 Alpine Apex on the market. Check it out if interested.
Alpine Apex - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
Tom
tomaryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #13

Thanks Dave & Tom, I will do a search on the issues that you guys have mentioned, I have read about some of the problems but need to go back and read them again. I am the type that can read about it but I also need to go physically look and see the RV. The RV is in Mesa, Az and I can't go until after the holidays, but I will and have been searching and reading about the Alpines.
Thanks guys, this is exactly what this diesel pusher newbie needs to see!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We purchased an 05 36'FDDS new in Feburary of 05 and truly love and enjoy the coach. It has 50k on it now.
We have had several of the issues mentioned including the failure of the HWH slide hydraulic hoses, and the steering box mount repair. At 30k we had the radiator leak problem that many coaches (including non Alpine units) had which required replacement of the radiator.
Other than that, we have had just the usual small items that always need attention when you have a house on wheels. We have never regretted our purchase and would certainly do it again.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase