Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #1

We had a power outage in the campground the other day. People were running their generators. I was uncomfortable being hooked to shore power and running our generator, so I turned the power breaker off at the hookups pedestal.

Is this something not to worry about? I just didn't understand what might happen if the power came back on and our generator was running. Didn't know if the coach power management system could handle this scenario.

(Plus, who knows what kind of spurious power behavior might be at the campground just before power was restored).

What do you do?

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #2

We had a power outage in the campground the other day. People were running their generators. I was uncomfortable being hooked to shore power and running our generator, so I turned the power breaker off at the hookups pedestal.

Is this something not to worry about? I just didn't understand what might happen if the power came back on and our generator was running. Didn't know if the coach power management system could handle this scenario.

(Plus, who knows what kind of spurious power behavior might be at the campground just before power was restored).

What do you do?

Audrey
Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #3

Audrey, I "think" the electrical system is smart enough to allow only one source of AC power into the coach at a time. There is a transfer switch that accomplishes this.
However. I would certainly turn off the breakers at the pedestal for the reason you mentioned. As the park power returns it could be low on voltage or whatever. A few years back I was in a park in the high sierras and the power went off. we were asleep at the time. It came back on, but was not providing the proper voltage. Turns out they had a park generator providing all the power. When the generator came back on line it somehow burned out my inverter. I had to buy a replacemnt inverter........So I share your concern. However it wont happen again with our coach, cause I installed a system that checks the incomming power and shuts down if it suspect poor power.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #4

We have the surge guard system which shuts off if something is wrong with the shore power. It seems to work pretty well - we've had low voltage or other issues that have caused it to shut down.

But I don't know if the surge guard system distinguishes between power from the generator or from the 50Amp plug. The surge guard display is the same in either case.

What if the campground power came on while the generator was running? What would happen? Would our system detect this and shut down the generator?

Audrey
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Audrey:

The transfer switch will only allow one source to operate even if both are powered. I have on more than one occasion been running the generator both A/C going because of the outside heat and pulled into a campground plug into electric power and than shut down the generator and the A/C's continue to run. I have also preformed the procedure in the opposite way when I am getting ready to leave a campground. I have also installed a unit (Transfer Switch) that will shut down power to the Coach if the voltage is high or low, to prevent damage to the Coach.

Transfer Switch
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #6

The surge guard is wired after the gen or shore power. so it would protect from gen problems and shore power problems.
If shore power came on while gen was running I think the gen would take precedence cause it was already running. Or like I said before un plug from shore power when running gen. Your safe then
Old 04-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #7

The surge protector/transfer switch is controlled by the generator. Win the Motorhome, is pluged in to shore power and the genortor is running at the same time, the currrent will flow from the genertor. Turn the generator off and the transfer switch will return to normal position, witch is shore power.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #8

Aud- FYI- the SurgeGuard unit used on our coaches is also the transfer switch, so it has to choose gen or shore power.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:43 AM   #9

OK Thanks! I didn't know which "shore" power source took precedence.

Audrey
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I find this topic very interesting. I had problems with my last MH (lost the microwave)at a campground when the power dropped. We now have a 2005 Alpine 40FDQS.

I am confused, does the coach have surge, high and low voltage protection from the factory. Do I need the AEC product or similar that Dave has installed?
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #11

My understanding is if you got the Surge Guard option, you have high/low voltage protection as well as open neutral or neutral/hot cross-wiring protection.
If you don't have the option, the above troubles could be issues, as w/plugging any appliance into any unknown outlet.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #12

Well, we have an 03, 40fdts. Our coach did not come with low or high voltage protection. After the problems we had with our first Alpine, where park low voltage burned out our Freedom 2000 Inverter, we purchased and installed a EMS Model EMS-HW50B power protection device. The cost is about $350.00, (not cheap), but the new inverter was a lot more, $1200.00. This device installes permanently on the basement roof. If you are electrically handy and not afraid of the job. It is easy (relatively) do-it-yourself project.
After it is installed, the system is completely automatic. Each time you plug into shore power the EMS device goes thru a series of tests. It checks for proper voltage, cycles, and open neutral and open ground. This test takes two minutes. Then it allows the power into your coach. If something is wrong it will tell yo on a panel that you install near the inverter and generator controls. That's it Now you safe.
Stretch
Old 04-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Mike and Stretch for the response.

I checked the build on the coach. It does not have Sure Guard. Will check out the EMS-HW50C and the AECS M10040A.

Does anyone use somthing else?
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #14

some folks use a Hughes Autoformer which doesn't need to be hard wired, but takes up space & becomes part of your setup process.