Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Power Steering Reservoir Location

We have a 36FDDS with a 400 ISL.

In checking things out in the last several days, I have looked high and low for the power steering reservoir, but the only one I can find is the HWH reservoir for the jacks/slide.

Is it possible the HWH reservoir is also the reservoir for the fan/power steering pump? The manual says Dextron III/Nelson filter for the power steering system, which is why I ask, since the jacks/slide take transmission fluid. (There is a tag on the reservoir specifying Rycon, which is apparently Chevron's transmission fluid.)

In all the time that the coach has been serviced, the power steering level was never questioned or mentioned, which now I find strange.

If someone can tell me where this reservoir is, I will be more than very grateful.

G'ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Hello Fred: the power steering reservoir you are looking for is on the Passenger side of the engine. It should be a large round black hydraulic tank with a short chrome cover dip stick on the top which unscrews. The cover can also be removed to replace the filters and or add fluid. Depending on what year of your Alpine determines the type of fluid it takes. The power steering/brakes and hydraulic fan are fed from this tank and a pump is attached to the engine. It is totally separate from the HWH system.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Dave - thank you for your very quick reply. I went out the door armed.

Big confession. I thought that was the oil filter since apparently the oil filter holds several quarts. And if anybody ever told me, I most certainly forgot. What you said made immediate sense. Especially since the oil filter is on the other side of the block.

We've been 'not traveling' for the past four years because of family/economy. Now we're able to get back in the rig a little more.

Again, thank you for your help.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
If the rig has been parked that long I'd recommend changing brake fluid, hydraulic fluid (in the tank just described), & engine oil. Might check tire age & search "tire age" here on iRV2 for more info (especially if the tires sat in same position for extended periods). Check the air bags for cracks.
Best of luck back on the road, & hope to see you at a rally soon.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
E Mike - thank you for the good advice.

In July we had the brake fluid flushed (one side of the reservoir was ok but the other was getting pretty close to honey), belts changed, oil changed, front bearings replaced and the dash air conditioner charged and the seals at compressor replaced.

The tires are Toyo 147s with close to five years on them. I know, getting close. I'll check the forum for tire info and opinions.

We made a trip to Iowa & Wisconsin with no problems. Well, we thought there were no problems until we got back into Jackpot, NV and found the front air conditioner had quit working. Turns out it has lost its freon and will be replaced tomorrow, as a matter of fact.

We believe it was a couple of unseen asphalt road joints on Mn 70 that hit pretty hard caused a crack/leak in the front unit. The back is ok.

I'm going to ask a question concerning GVCR on a separate thread.

Thanks again for the advise.

power, steering