Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Power Steering Update Again

I got the MH back today and the steering is finally fixed. I can turn lock to lock at idle at a dead stop. While they were replacing the hydraulic pump I had them flush the whole hyd. system and install new filters even though the old ones only had about 2000 miles on them.

I finally ended up getting the pump from England, White House Products, WHP. They had 3 on the shelf. They had it Fedexed on Friday and at the shop on Monday morning. NOT CHEAP! The pump was about $525 converted from pounds.

I tried Berendsen Fluid Power and they said there were none in stock anywhere and gave me a 12-14 week time frame.

Every company I called quoted the same 12-14 weeks.

I e-mailed Sauer Danfoss and they hooked me up with a guy at Turrola who said they had pump in stock that would work, but wouldn't be a direct bolt on. The fluid ports weren't in the same places as the original, but he thought it would work. I decided to pass.

I do have some interchangeable part numbers for future reference:

Sauer Danfoss C45.OL 35765160160

Dynamatic 550135765160160

WHP 5S1/41449PUS

FWIW, I called Redlands Truck and RV and they checked and couldn't find one. I asked them about having mine rebuilt and it was their opinion that it would run almost as much as new.

Now I can address some of the little DIY projects that have been waiting. Today I installed the drag link bungee and lubed the entry handle and lock. Works perfectly now. I also looked at the door prop at the top of the door and have decided it needs to be replaced. It's too beat up to ever work right.
Always something!!

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #2

Thanks for the update, Terry. Glad you are back on in the driver's seat.

Any idea how far back they used the same hydraulic pump-- good info for us "older" owners.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS

Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Sorry Brett, I have no idea how long they used this pump. I recall a couple posts about pump issues and I seem to remember them being around the '05 year model. Maybe somebody with earlier models, or later for that matter, will jump in here.

Based on the small number of posts on the subject and on the fact that they aren't readily available, I would guess that they are pretty reliable.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

I did a search on hyd pumps and found a post from July of last year. The post was about a hyd fluid leak, but the pump in question was the same Dynamatic that I have listed. The poster listed a price of $1030 and 8 weeks. The price is pretty close to what I paid including shipping, but I had mine in 4 days.

8-14 weeks isn't a huge deal if you are at home and don't have plans. If you're out on the road or just very impatient, yours truly, the 4 days shipping is nice. Again I ordered through WHP.

The poster has a 2002 36' so they used this pump that far back.

It is odd to me that there weren't any to be had in the US, at least through major companies. There are probably a couple of them sitting in somebody's inventory, but who's and where?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #5

Thanks, Terry.

Brett
Old 11-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Terry W,
This information came at a most opportune time. I've got my coach in for service on a different issue and the tech found the power steering unit was leaking pretty badly. The shop looked around and was not going to be able to get the pump for 12 to 14 weeks and they were quoting a price of around $1600. I sent them your post and they confirmed the part # you had, is the same part # that the pump on the early '99's have.
I got hold of White House Products and ordered the pump earlier today. With the 8 hour time difference the part would not be going out today, but tomorrow it should be in transit.
Thank-you for the work you did in tracking down this part. This will be a great help to others over time.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

Jeff,

There isn't a lot of info on here about the pumps so I'm assuming it's not a very common problem. It's also good to know that the pumps date back to at least the 99 MY. Please keep us posted on how things go.

I am also curious about your dealings with WHP. I felt like I was dealing with a Robo Rep. I didn't get the feeling of dealing with a live person even though he said his name is Stewart Brown. I never received a receipt and I wasn't offered any shipping options, they just shipped it priority freight with Fed Ex and told me it was shipped.

I paid 341 part and 390 shipping in pounds, which I converted to about $1150 total. I believe they shipped it on Thurs afternoon and it was in So Cal at the shop by 10:00am Monday.

Good luck, Terry
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Terry,
When I started the ordering process it was 2am in Great Britain. From their website, I registered then ordered. When reviewing payment info, noticed that the billing address and shipping address were the same. I've got a different billing address so attempted to fix. It did not appear to work, so tried again. Eventually got kicked out of the system. Got up at 6am the next morning and tried again, long story short, I wound up calling White House Products (this was an adventure too). First person I spoke to I could not understand. He transferred me to Susan McIntire who corrected the info in the address sections and I was able to order that way.
In British Pounds I paid 437.24 for the pump and 56.29 for the shipping. I thing I got a deal on the shipping!
I checked the credit card for charges and the total comes to $774 including the transaction fee. They shipped Thursday and Fed Ex tracking indicates delivery on Monday by noon. We shall see.
Ms. McIntire was quite helpful. It felt like she was taking pity on me for all the unsuccessful attempts to properly use their website. I will say that after spending so much time on it, it would have worked better if I had slowed down and CAREFULLY read everything on one page before going onto the next page.
To restate the parts numbers:
Original Part #: C45.0L 35765-160-160
White House Products #: 5S1/41449PUS
Terry, thanks again for doing the legwork. This is not a part that fails too often but when replacement is needed nobody wants to wait 13 or more weeks.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Jeff,

My card statement came yesterday afternoon and I have a charge to WHP for $616. So I apparently misunderstood the e-mail reply I received about the transaction. I had a hard time getting information out of Stewart Brown which led me to believe it was a robo type transaction.

I probably should have called, but having dealt with English relatives on the phone over the years I know how hard it can be to communicate. Not only the accents but the differences in terminology. I recently had some confusion with a CHAP on a car forum regarding windscreen and windshield.

I went back through my e-mail thread with WHP and I misstated the pump price earlier. The actual price was 341 pounds which I must have converted to dollars and rounded up. So the total for part and delivery came to 390.57 pounds. It never occurred to me that 50 pounds, $75, would cover shipping from the UK to CA. I seem to remember paying more for similar shipping here in the states.

I'm with you on the shipping charges, I personally didn't think $500+ was totally out of line, or should I say unexpected, for a 4 day delivery. The whole thing was very confusing.

Oh well, I'm back up and running, so I'm once more, fat dumb and happy!

Terry

Tags
power, steering