Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Power surge protection

Does anyone know the first year that WRV offered power surge protection on their MH's?
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Twas included as an option on my '03
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride - Since it was an option, how would I know if I have it?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Bob:

The best way is to crawl into the bays and look for the transfer switch which will be located on the ceiling of the bay you should be able to see if a surge protector is installed on your coach. The transfer switch is usually located in the bay just forward of the bay containing the holding tanks. Most surge protectors will have a label of some sort identifying it as a surge protector. Some surge protectors are incorporated into the transfer switch or a voltage Booster like Hughes Autoformer manufactures.

Since the coach was owned by someone else they may have installed an aftermarket surge protector like I did or if the factory installed surge protector went bad they could have removed it and not replaced it.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Bob:

If you have the OEM installation, you will have a little screen for the Surge Guard readout under your sink, likely on the lower right side. This is the "optional" display screen that WRV was using. It is attached to the Surge Guard below by a (telephone-type) cable.

If it was added later and without the readout, you'll need to find the actual Surge Guard near the transfer switch as Dave describes above. It will be mid-line, between the rails, behind the fresh water tanks in the second bin behind the front wheels.

As Dave also mentions, if you have a buck booster (Hughes Autoformer, Power Master, etc.), you'll have yet another surge protector. Never hurts to have some redundancy in spike protection.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks gentlemen!!!

I haven't had an opportunity to look as yet because the MH is being serviced before I hit the road.

One question though ... I noticed that there are 30 Amp & 50 Amp inline surge protectors available via Camping World & such. I assume that you can add a surge protector that works regardless of the source amperage, correct? Or, does a 50 Amp surge protector handle lower current loads as well?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #7

BC: The 50 amp will cover all your needs. You don't need an inline unit if time is an issue. I purchased the portable unit along with the lock for it. It became so burdensome that I finally hardwired it in the basement by the transfer switch. You could purchase that unit for your trip then do what I did. Good luck and have fun.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Most definitely get the 50 amp, and hardwire it in when you get a chance. You'll just need a 50 amp stove cord and an outlet. Save by buying it at Home Depot or Lowes, not from the booster company.

Having used Hughes, Power Master and Frank's, I'd buy the Power Master again. Too many customer service and quality issues with the other two. Also rated a bit higher. After talking directly to the designer and to his manufacturer, I feel good about the product and customer service. The manufacturer even offered to rebuild it after a lightning strike (like Frank's).