Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Previous Surge Protecter Post

I am looking for an older post which had photos of a hard wired Surge protecter but I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
Sid
Janet&Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
There's a small picture at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/powe...tors-3943.html.

I installed one but didn't take any pictures. It looked like the installation in the picture above utilized a 50-amp type plugs with 2 - pigtails to "plug" the surge protector into the transfer switch box whereas I chose a direct approach. I also purchased some 6 AWG spice connectors & rubber tape to have on hand for bypassing the surge protector if it should ever fail while camping.

Let me know if you need some close up pictures of my installation.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Bob:
The post I saw had pictures of a members install that he posted in his Alpine.
Sid
Janet&Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine isn't in an Alpine but here are the pictures of my install.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Sid - the installation is very straight forward as depicted in Wayne's post even though it's not an Alpine. My coach is in the shop until Monday or Tuesday at which point I could take pictures if you need it.

Here's the basic procedures:

1. Mount the Surge Guard Protector next to the transfer switch box as depicted in Wayne's picture. It looks like Wayne used a small piece of plywood on the ceiling whereas I mopunted mine directly. You need to observe the "IN" and "OUT" orientation to make the cabling direct and simple. I placed the "OUT" or "LOAD" end towards the end of the transfer switch box to allow as short of pigtail cable as possible.

2. MAKE SURE THAT ALL A/C POWER SOURCES ARE TURNED OFF &/OR DISCONNECTED!!!

3. Remove the cover on the transfer switch box.

4. Loosen the connectors inside the transfer switch box, the clamp holding the cable on the box, and remove the cable.

5. Connect this cable to the "IN" side of the surge protector.

6. Here's where Wayne & I differ in our approach based upon his pix. I used a 3 - 4' 6 AWG 4- conductor open ended pigtail cable purchased from a local electrical store. Connect one end to the "LOAD" side of the surge protector and the other end to the transfer switch box while observing wire color code (red, green, white, black).

That's basically it. Everytime you connect to shore power the surge protector will take approximately 2 - minutes before actually passing the "LOAD" at which point you'll here the transfer switch "click".

If you want to use Wayne's method of employing plugable pigtails, I'll let him describe what he did.

Again, let me know if you want close-up pictures which I can take early next week.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had read some posts where people said the surge guard buzzed or vibrated. I chose to place a piece of 1/2" plywood between the thin sheet metal and the surge guard in order to cut down on noise in case it did vibrate.

The reason I used a plug and receptacle is to facilitate removal if the surge guard ever fails. If it dose fail, I can remove the surge guard and plug the circuit back together while waiting for a replacement.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Sid - one more thought about Wayne's method that just occurred to me.

There was a previous thread in which someone experienced a surge protector failure while camping and had to get the surge protector bypassed. This posisble failure can be easily mitigated with a little planning.

My method would require the use of 4 - 6 AWG wire splices and rubber tape which I keep on board at all times. Wayne's method would allow you to unplug the pigtails and the use a 50 - amp extension cord to connect directly with shore power although it eliminates the use of your power reel cable. You would have to use my plan of splicing to continue using the reel power cable with Wayne's arrangement.

Something worth planning for in my opinion!? It's relatively cheap to avoid the possible inconvenience.