Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 AM   #1

I have a 1999 40' and once I get about 3/4 full, it is almost impossible to get any more fuel into the tank. So much bubbles and foam coming back that shuts off the nozzel. What a pain in the A.. to try and top off the tank!!! Click, click, click and so on.
Has anyone had and solved this problem?
thanks
Dennis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 AM   #2

I have a 1999 40' and once I get about 3/4 full, it is almost impossible to get any more fuel into the tank. So much bubbles and foam coming back that shuts off the nozzel. What a pain in the A.. to try and top off the tank!!! Click, click, click and so on.
Has anyone had and solved this problem?
thanks
Dennis

Old 04-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #3

denwhit,

There is another thread about fueling issues:
fueling

Dale
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #4

Fueling the older coach has always been a problem. The fuel inlet is in the middle of the tanks. The only way to resolve the problem is to upgrade the tank to a newer model. This is not the reasonable for most owners whose coaches are out of warranty. Before I had my tank replaced my fueling routine involved raising the front jacks and airing down the bags before putting the generator slide out. It worked very well but got some strange looks from passersby.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
JRP

This problem isn't unique to Alpine. Many DP have this same issue, to varying degrees. Partly due to the tendency of diesel to foam up, partly due to the chassis mfg using too small fuel fill tube, poor position/routing of the fill tube, poorly designed fill tube venting, etc.
If your chassis has dual fill points, its helps to open the 2nd one while filling via the 1st. just dont let anyone stand in front of it, or they may get a diesel shower when it gets full.

Jim
Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #6

The jury is still out on whether & how much the 06's have the same issue; I don't think I'm getting the full 115 gallon capacity out of mine. However, that's just a guess so far based on fuel gauge not coming up to full, and # of gallons taken on in the U.S. fill-ups over 5800 miles (can't trust the pumps in Mexico; fueling there doesn't compute when you pay for but don't get ~15% of the liters).
Without running it dry or doggone close (not a clever trick), its hard to say exactly. The evidence points to ~10 gallons or so that I can't use out of the 115 advertised so far.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Mike - Do you have a front entry or mid-door? I think only the mid-doors have 2 fuel fills. Tris says our '03 can't use 15 gallons in the tank - but we fill from both sides and don't have a problem. We forgot to look to make sure our new Apex will have 2 fuel fills! We will have 143 gallons - hate to think of filling it with just one fill tube! We still haven't received an expected date of delivery - hopefully this week we will find out for sure! (?)

(I still can't figure out how to do the picture!)
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #8

TO, Diesel Fuelers;

I have an 02 with fill on both sides.

I have tried taking the cap off on the opposite side to speed up filling 10 gallon tank, no difference.

Because of the foaming, it takes a long time, if you open nozzle too much ,it takes longer.

What I do now is to not go below half and take time and let fuel flow SLOWLY, I have DW hold nozzle while I do windshield, check toad, make a pit stop, almost anything to forget how long it takes to fill up.

If someone comes up with a solution, let us know.

I know this info doesn't help, but at least you know if we're at the same place we can have a cook-out while waiting.

Thanks Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #9

Should have read " 150" gallon,

Aime
Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #10

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
SWANSNEST WROTE:
0<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We forgot to look to make sure our new Apex will have 2 fuel fills! We will have 143 gallons - hate to think of filling it with just one fill tube! We still haven't received an expected date of delivery - hopefully this week we will find out for sure! (?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, there is only one fuel fill tube on the current 40' front door Apex. I assume some future mid-door model will have two.

Filling 143 gallons into the Apex is no problem except the heart attack when you pay the bill. Multiply 143 times the current price of fuel. ARRRRRRRGH!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Basil & Sue! They introduced the new models of the Apex (40' FDTS & 40'MDTS) at the Aguanga Pre-Rally last month and we have the MD on order! (Tris is pretty sure that it has 2 fill tubes.) Hopefully it will be done late May for us to p/u at the factory and make our trade of our '03 40'MDTS. Lowell & Sandy have ordered one also! We hope to drive it to the Rally in NC in August. Are you coming?
Carolyn
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #12

Swans- I've got only one fill (front door), and have filled w/high-flo and lo-flo nozzles. Same experience w/both as to the guess on can't-get-the-full-gallonage-capacity. Maybe its like that old Volkswagon I had in high school- gotta fill till the nozzle clicks off, then shake the vehicle back & forth to burp the tank, then put in the last gallon?
I'm having Apex-tray-envy.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #13

Hey denwhit, I have a 99 Alpine 40' had problems filling tank like you and here is what I did where the vent tube goes into the tank I connected another vet hose 1-1/8" on the opposite side thru the frame behind the step frame and thru the false fill housing mounted a fill frame and attached the hose. Before I fillup I remove the vent cap and fill from the driver side. The pase 4years I haven't had any problems no matter what size nozzle. Good Luck
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '98 FDS, and when I go to fill up, usually at a Flying J, I can only get the needle up to about half way between the full and 3/4 mark. However, when I fill up at a local fuel stop that has a large nozzle dispenser, it fills it up all the way. It must have something to do with blocking off all the air going into the tank, and just allowing fuel in. And it's fast!

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote