Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Reminds me of the Christmas I got my wife a new lawn mower. What a memory

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #16
Wow! I didn't know my Hughes Autoformer goes both ways!

I always thought that the Autoformer was a step-up transformer. I'll have to check my documentation. The two boost lights come on when it is boosting power.

I really don't think it can reduce voltage at all. Unless, of course, they have been totally redesigned since I bought mine.

My Progressive Industries EMS takes care of all line issues BEFORE power gets to the Autoformer.

Anyway, an Autoformer would be a gift that "keeps on giving" as it would automatically boost low voltage and therefore help prevent low voltage damage to electrical systems.

Get 'r done!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #17
I installed the Progressive Industries in my 2003. PI seems to work as advertised except for a DuoTherm A/C compatibility issue--circa 2004 "mother boards" did not accommodate the high amp draw from stating the DuoTherm compressors--PI shipped me a new board.
I have also noticed some RV parks wont allow the use of autoformer. Since there are no "free lunches," using an autoformer to raise yr voltage increases yr amp draw--which in turn--makes the voltage problem worse for everyone else in the park.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #18
Old Scout,

I believe the "free lunch" assumption made by campground owners regarding autoformers is incorrect.

An autoformer is just a step-up transformer with a circuit to sense the incoming voltage. An autoformer simply takes the incoming voltage, if low (say, 100 volts) and through the step-up windings, increases the voltage by 10%. So, 110 volts leaves the autoformer.

That 10% boost was created internally. It was not taken from the incoming line. Therefore, no one in the campground suffers power reductions due to the autoformer.

Campgrounds lose line voltage when too many RVs draw power - like around dinner time - by using too many appliances at the same time.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
In reference to the comments about the Autoformer and no "free lunches":

Volts = Current(Amps) X Resistance(Ohms)

When the Autoformer raises Volts, it does so by raising Amps in its variable transformer. According to the above formula, where Resistance remains constant, Volts must go up.

Raising Amps can only be raised to the level of the circuit breaker in the pedestal that you are connected to. Any current draw beyond what that breaker allows, will trip the breaker. Therefore, you are not "stealing" from your campground neighbors. You are using current up to that breaker rating, regardless of use of an Autoformer or not.

However, some RV park operators may still rightfully disagree with some campers using more current than they would otherwise to boost voltage. That additional current draw could be perceived to be at the expense of the other campers. This issue of Autoformer use is not entirely clear cut, since everyone's use of electricity is use of a SHARED resource, in which current and voltage are inter-related.
Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #20

Thanks for that technical explanation. I have no electrical or engineering background. But, I understood what you wrote.

Anyway, my Autoformer is in my electrical compartment. No one knows it's there.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
Old RV'er:

Thousand Trails is exactly why I bought an Autoformer for my Alpine and my last coach. We had so-oo many problems with the power in their parks. Since I added the Autoformer I've never had a single problem. I wired mine into the coach. Search the forum for my previous post about this, and the ability to bypass. Just buy the parts from Home Depot/Lowes.

The Autoformer does not work well as a surge protector, only as a line booster. It may be okay with lightning strikes, but over-voltage just passes on through.

I had a Power Master previously and really prefer it, except that I got my last Autoformer at half price on eBay. The Power Master is a bit more robust.

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote