Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Have any of you Alpiners added one of these? My coach has the WRV surge protector, but from what I've read on other threads in Product Evaluations this would be a worthwhile addition to protect from reverse polarity, open neutral, and open grounds. Is it better to just check the pedestal at a campground for these conditions before you hookup, or is it a good idea anyway. Would you hardwire or use a portable unit?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #2

Have any of you Alpiners added one of these? My coach has the WRV surge protector, but from what I've read on other threads in Product Evaluations this would be a worthwhile addition to protect from reverse polarity, open neutral, and open grounds. Is it better to just check the pedestal at a campground for these conditions before you hookup, or is it a good idea anyway. Would you hardwire or use a portable unit?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Progressive EMS is definitely a worthwhile addition.

Not only will it prevent miswired or defective pedestal power from damaging your coach, it is on duty 24 hours a day and can react instantly if a power problem arises.

I recommend the hard wired unit as the indoor display enables you to easily see what's going on.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

How tough is the install? I have one of the power cord winders.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you're comfortable with electrical work, it's relatively easy.

The hardest part is bending and connecting the #6 wire, as it's so stiff.

The instructions are on Progressive's web site.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #6

Our 2006 has the SurgeGuard system protector. What advantage does this Progressive system add? Ours tells us about open grounds, for example. I'm just curious since the SurgeGuard seems to be working well.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If the Surge Guard has these features, then there is little to be gained by the Progressive unit.

Voltage Protection:

Whenever source power falls below 104 Volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.

Time Delay for A/C Compressor:

Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS due to a fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS; one is 136 seconds, and the other is 15 seconds. Consult you Air Conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If yes, use the 15-second delay. If no, use the 136-second delay.

Five(5)-Mode Surge Protection:

This feature provides full surge protection: L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3560, response time of <1 nano second.

Surge Indicator:

If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.

Reverse Polarity Protection:

If source power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.

Open Neutral Protection:

If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not appear, and will not allow power to the RV.

Open Ground Protection:

If source power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.

AC Frequency Protection:

If source power frequency deviates by (+/-) 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.

Accidental 220V Protection:

If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. In either case the display will read the voltage and E3 or E5 will be displayed depending on the error code.

Remote Display:

Scrolls continuously through all of the power source information: voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds.

Previous Error Code:

This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted power to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs, and resets when power is disconnected to the EMS.
Bypass Switch:

This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing source power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS.

Modular Design:

Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.

Microprocessor Controlled:

The computer and remote display are driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS. Should ever this software be changed, EMS owners can receive a free upgrade processor with the return of the old.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I had a SurgeGuard on my '04 Bus but went with the Progressive EMS 50HW-C on my '07 Bus.

Yes, they both work but there is a big difference between them. The SurgeGuard has tight terminal connections and it's really toiugh to cram those #6 wires into the lugs. Progressive has bigger lugs and it's much easierto install.

Also, the Progressive unit has that remote LED display which is priceless. It'll tell you the voltage and amperage draw on each pole as well as the frequency in hertz. Progressive does make a less expensive "LC" version which features a liquid crystal display built right into the unit. However, this display is not as easy to read as the bright red LED display that comes with the other unit. Also, you can mount the EMS 50HW-C wherever it's handy and then mount the remote where it's easy to see. With the "LC" version you'll probably have to stick your head into the bay to try to read it.

As I said, all three of these will do the job but the EMS 50HW-C is easily the best of the bunch.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #9

I have had the 50 amp hardwired Progressive EMS for 4 years now. A male 50 amp connector runs from the EMS to my 50 amp Hughes Autoformer. The 50 amp male connector from the Autoformer plugs into the female recepticle I added to the power switch. With this setup I can take the Autoformer out of the loop, although I don't.

I have been in campgrounds where the EMS has shut down power due to low voltage and other reasons. All my electrical systems are operating wonderfully while some of my RV neighbors over the years have suffered damage to a/c motherboards, TVs, refridgerators, etc.

Between the Autoformer and the EMS the one-time cost (under $900 for both) was the best single premium insurance plan I ever paid!

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #10

So let me get this straight...Is the EMS a unit that is added in addition to the factory-installed surge-guard, or is it in lieu of it? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #11

I'm not familiar with your rig's factory installed surge-guard. It sounds like it will perform a FEW of the duties performed by an EMS.

I would consult your surge-guard literature and compare the features to those of the Progressive Industries EMS unit. Go to Progressive Industries and compare.

Anyway, to answer your question I think you use one or the other, not both.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

If your coach came with SurgeGuard, you'll find its features here. In short it has the majority of features of the EMS, tho not the hertz readout (SG shows voltage + amps by line).

Product info says-
Protects against:
" Excessive voltage, Low (<102V)
and High (>132V)
" Miswired pedestal
" Open neutral
" Open ground
" High/low frequency
" Reverse polarity
with 3350 Joules of power surge protection.

If you have SG, EMS would be superfluous. If not, it would be a good idea IMO (and consider opinions above as to which unit, SG or EMS). It replaces your auto-transfer switch, and can usually mount on the basement ceiling where the old xfer switch is now.

The one feature I wish they had is a smart delay. I park in Baja where voltage wanders above & below 132 at night, sometimes for hours. After 3 or 4 bumps of the switch relay, you'd think they would have circuit logic that would increase the delay, but apparently the smart delay is me- I go out & shut off the service.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #13

Mike- That's the one my coach came with. Thanks, you saved me some money. And thanks to all of you for your input.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
All, what is wrong with the Huges Autoformer, as (if memory serves) it checks for line issues, and won't let power through if it's incorrect, and boosts or reduces voltage as necessary. That is if my memory serves. We are seriously thinking about the autoformer as a gift to each other for christmas, since TT campgrounds have power issues.