Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Propane Compartment Door Struts-2 Stage

I have had two propane refuelers tell me they won't fill the propane in my tank any more (with the slide in or out) because it doesn't open farther than horizontal so it won't be caught by the front slide on our '06 36 MDDS.

Their argument is that if they are on their hands and knees filling the propane and there's an issue they can't get out from under the door in time. I don't know if that's the real issue or they just don't like to get down on their hands and knees.

I usually fill the tank with the slides in, because it's usually when I'm refueling with diesel.

My question is whether anybody has replaced the struts on the propane compartment door with 2-stage struts -- ones that open to horizontal at first but can then be raised to a more vertical-like position, such as we have on the sanitary compartment door.

If anybody has found that kind of a strut and made that change, please let me know the part number and where you found that strut.

Thanks in advance-

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

I am not sure they make such an animal and I don’t think it would be in your best interests even if you found them. Just once if that door happened to be open when you pull the slide in and you are looking at a huge repair job. If you really want to help your poor overweight propane guy you might think about taking the gas strut off and installing a hanger with clip on the side of the motorhome and the put another clip on the slide to use when the slide is out.
Camping World has them for a few bucks.
Single Door Holders give you an easy way to keep your RV door open.

3 1/2 Inch Plastic T Entry Door Holder - Black
</SPAN>Internet Sale $4.49 Reg $4.99

Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

I my got tired of being on my knees and ducking under the 3 compartment doors under the slide. What I did is reposition the existing struts so the door open as much as possible like all other compartments, I then restricted the open position with a small chain when the slide is out. (Doors won't hit top of slide-out.) When slide is in, just unhook chain and doors open fully. Much better.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Old:

Newmar has those on some of their coaches, specifically the 2003 Scottsdale. They will do the same thing as Nick's (great idea). Either way, if you accidentally open your slide with the door completely open, it will be your doing, not the design's.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #5

I installed a solution similar to that described by Sidewinder on all the doors under the slide. I also installed a microswitch on each door and wired it to a bright warning light I placed on the HWH control panel. If a door is open when I go to deploy the slideout, the red warning light reminds me not to do so.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
National had two stage cylinders on their coaches. I did the unthinkable once, but it only scratched part of a decal. I thought it should have taken the door off but it just pushed it down. I would also like to find some two stage cylinders.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Escamilla View Post
I my got tired of being on my knees and ducking under the 3 compartment doors under the slide. What I did is reposition the existing struts so the door open as much as possible like all other compartments, I then restricted the open position with a small chain when the slide is out. (Doors won't hit top of slide-out.) When slide is in, just unhook chain and doors open fully. Much better.
Got any pictures of this - would like to 'see' what you did.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My 2004 Monaco Camelot has adjustable slides on the cylinders that can be set any place from full open to anyplace in between. May be worth your time to take a look at using these. So far I have had no problems.
Rebel
Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #9

Barb: I get pictures next week for you. MH is not available till then.

Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, propane