Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #15

That sounds different than my install.

My injector was installed in the intercooler.

And, every MAP sensor I've seen is a "transducer", measuring and converting pressure to a 0-5vdc signal. I don't recall my Powershot System (may be variations?) accepted a 0-5vdc signal.

It's been a while, but I think the system measures boost "mechanically" to adjust the rate of propane infusion.

BTW, Stretch, MAP sensors are very sensitive. A good source I know for injection systems on older V8s is in Anaheim. It's Turbo City at 714-639-4933. Tom's the owner and very knowledgeable. He sells complete systems or components.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a picture of us burning rubber at the drag strip . 1/4 mile ET about 21 seconds if I remember correctly, and the sign reads 55.95 MPH.

Four point harnesss and roll cage not required . Now, how about some propane, a larger turbo charger, and more pressure.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #17

That's pretty funny. I gotta get up there for one of the rallies.

Seems like the shorter/lighter coaches with the ISL would have the advantage. ANd, perhaps, those that emptied there tanks and storage areas before the race??
Old 01-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #18

We didn't race our own coaches. We raced 4 new coaches that WRV brought out for the occasion. All were the same length and nothing in the compartments or holding tanks as far as I know. (Although the green coaches like I raced were the slow ones!)

Also, I would like to point out that the 55.95 top speed appears to be for the losing coach in that round. From what I remember, most of the top speeds were in the 60-62 mph range. Let's take credit where credit is due!!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,
You are correct, I do remember seeing low 60's on the postings. That may work out to 21 seconds???
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #20

The ET's don't necessarily relate to the top speeds. I think they were in the 20-22 second range. I will have to look at some of my pictures from there, and see if I caught a picture of the top speeds and ET's.

And for those who have not been there/done that, even though it looks like a lot of fun, it is EVEN MORE FUN than it looks!!! And there were nice trophies awarded at the end of the day.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry, Stretch...it looks like I diverted your thread with my comments about the Alpine drag races. But, everyone has to get to Homecoming in Toppenish at least once to participate in those races!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Me too!!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #23

Boost is probably monitored separately for the propane systems. Otherwise you'd have to rely on ECU data which, if changed via some new OEM flash could create "issues," or wlse you'd need to double-tap the ECU's sensor sources which raises resistance and feedback questions the propane system vendor would have to answer for.
I've never done this myself tho toyed w/the idea for my GM-diesel Trek. Everything I read led me to conclude there would be limited economy gain since the propane bill goes up as the diesel bill goes down (basically a matter of price per BTU). If propane remained permanently cheaper than diesel then maybe.
I doublt Cat sanctions any propane injection systems they don't sell (likewise Cummins). That'd create some interesting confusion w/the EPA as to who all to cite when somebody failed a smog, not to mention warranty issues of over-amping the block build.
In order to do this really well, you'd need to re-rig the air/fuel tables in the ECU programming to account for the extra air requirement of the propane burn. The above discussion implies the fuel/air mix is ~20% or more air-rich than necessary for the diesel burn; that might be true, but if it is I suspect it is deliberate in order to produce acceptable smog outputs. An overly rich fuel mix could do some interesting things to the cataclysmic converter. The diesel pickup hotrodder's fumble around w/their air/fuel tables fairly regularly, and some even do smog checks on their reprogramming. For me, if my ISL gives me trouble free service, I'll keep paying for the diesel I put in the rig and be happy Cummins did a good job of bullet-proofing.

BTW, just back from a month in Mexico; left the coach there & going back in a coupla weeks. Diesel there is pegged @ ~$1.86/gallon at current exchange rates, so take a near empty tank, and come back full
Old 01-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome back . We have been missing your conversations.
Even if I have to read them twice, with a dictionary by my side
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #25

Just twice Tom? I need to go back again and again... WITH dictionary

Nice to have ya back Mike.... bet weather down there is warmer than here (always loved Mulege and Loreto)

hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote