Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Propane leak near tank

There is a propane leak in the brass fittings between the propane tank connection and the regulator. (See attached photo). I unscrewed the joint, cleaned the threads and the tapered bull-nose type fitting, and reinstalled. I tightened it (left-handed thread) as much as I thought reasonable without risking cracking the joint, then turned the gas on and tested with soapy water. It blew me a little bubble.

I didn't see any joint compound or tape in the joint, and there was no rubber o-ring seal evident. Should there be? So before I call in the mobile RV service to come and fix it, does anyone have any advice?

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane leak IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	112111  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #2

OK--this is not a Std Alpine OEM propane configuration--someone has added an after-market tee. Looks like the adaptor/connection they sell at Camping World [called a Stay-awhile/Extended-stay??????]. Might have to dis-assemble a std propane connection for parts or go back to CW and get a new adaptor--not cheap--$70-80.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Or, if you are not going to use the extend-a-stay adapter, remove it and go from POL (screws into tank) to short piece of pipe (called a close) and into the regulator.

Use yellow Teflon tape or Rectorseal #5 on the pipe threads, NOTHING on the POL fitting.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #4

Thank you Old Scout & Brett. I didn't realize that this was non-standard, and I have no need for the add-on Stay A While, which I looked up and verified on CW. Also I noticed that the rubber hose leading from the regulator into the coach is rubbing up against the rear compartment wall, making it apparent that the added Stay A While pushed the hose further to the right. So I won't need the short piece of pipe - I'll simply remove the Stay-A-While and reconnect the POL to the tank connection.

Just so that I am clear on your suggestions, I have labeled on the photo the parts that I will remove and reconnect, and a separate picture of a POL valve showing where you suggested I put Teflon tape. Please verify that I've got it right.

Thanks, you may save me a $200 service call!

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remove StayAWhile IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	112142   Click image for larger version

Name:	POL valve teflon tape.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	112143  

Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

YUP--thats the add-on tee/extension. The POL connector is a very common "quick-disconnect" part in the world of propane, residential, BBQ, etc--usually doesnt require tape to seal it. Believe there is a rubber seal/o-ring in the female end of the connection that seals to rounded male end. Short of a gouge in the brass or the o-ring, the connection should seal. Unless the short rubber hose is severely worn thru one or more layers of the rubber, thing I'd just split some slightly larger rubber hose or flex electrical conduit and cover the existing hose at the wear point......
PSS--the "stay awhile" is a male to female connector--it designed that way--so all you need do is remove it and the remaining male end on the regulator screws back into the female end on the main tank--just the way it came from the factory--no need for a "close" or for tape........
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Michael,

NO, you do not use anything on the "rounded end" that goes to the propane tank.

You only use tape or sealant on the pipe threads on the other end that threads into the regulator.

BTW, since this is very likely the original regulator and therefore more than 14 years old, I would just replace it with a new one with POL fitting already on it:Two Stage Propane Pressure Regulator on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Be sure to get the regulator for HORIZONTAL installation. The vent has to face down, so the nickel sized screen area has to be perpendicular to the long axis of the regulator. Were your regulator installed vertically, the vent would have to be on the long axis of the regulator. Price should be the same, but they are NOT interchangeable.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbweitz View Post
Thank you Old Scout & Brett. I didn't realize that this was non-standard, and I have no need for the add-on Stay A While, which I looked up and verified on CW. Also I noticed that the rubber hose leading from the regulator into the coach is rubbing up against the rear compartment wall, making it apparent that the added Stay A While pushed the hose further to the right. So I won't need the short piece of pipe - I'll simply remove the Stay-A-While and reconnect the POL to the tank connection.

Just so that I am clear on your suggestions, I have labeled on the photo the parts that I will remove and reconnect, and a separate picture of a POL valve showing where you suggested I put Teflon tape. Please verify that I've got it right.

Thanks, you may save me a $200 service call!

Michael
2001 Alpine 36FDDS
mbweitz
Inspect the POL fitting.
If the mating surface is damaged/scratched you may have to replace it.
If you do I recommend one with an O-ring:

BTW, I only use pipe sealant or Teflon pipe sealing tape on the pipe threads....(never on the POL threads).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Michael, if you need to replace hoses or the POL, any Suburban Propane or NW Propane can make up what you need at the proper length while you wait.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

A word of caution / warning on installing those adapters....
I put one on the winter we were in CO. A few years later we stopped in a Wallmart to get some sleep. When I got out to check the toad could smell LP gas. I started to get back in the RV then figured the smell could be from my tank. I opened the door to find my LP tank almost empty and frosted over with ice. Temps were in the high 80's. IMO what happened was the addition of the adapter placed the regulator +-5" from where it started out and it was unsupported. The normal road vibrations eventually worked the fitting loose. I removed the adapter till I find a way to support the regulator or am at a fixed location when I will install it just for the stay.
So I leaked about 90% of my storage tank out while driving down I-95.
Things could have really gone bad if something had ignited the LP
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

Success! Thanks to all your good information, it was easy & obvious once I knew what I was doing. I removed the Stay-A-While adapter and screwed the regulator POL directly into the tank. Tightened, tested with soapy water, ran the furnace, tested again, and no bubbles. The rubber hose from the regulator into the coach is now properly positioned between the tank and the rear compartment wall, not touching anything. I have ordered a new 2-stage regulator w POL (thanks Brett), and will install when it arrives. All was good except the weather - flood warnings, high winds, and constant rain here in the Seattle area today made the simple task a bit more challenging.

I think my problem arose from the same situation Ronnie mentioned. The weight of the 5" long Stay A While adapter + the regulator, all supported at only the tank end, eventually shakes the connections loose from road vibrations.

RV service call cancelled, $200 saved. Thanks all.

Michael
2001 Alpine 36 FDDS
Old 11-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Michael,

When you install it, make sure the vent (small screen) points DOWN.

Brett
2003 Alpine FDDS
Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbweitz View Post
Success! Thanks to all your good information, it was easy & obvious once I knew what I was doing. I removed the Stay-A-While adapter and screwed the regulator POL directly into the tank. Tightened, tested with soapy water, ran the furnace, tested again, and no bubbles. The rubber hose from the regulator into the coach is now properly positioned between the tank and the rear compartment wall, not touching anything. I have ordered a new 2-stage regulator w POL (thanks Brett), and will install when it arrives. All was good except the weather - flood warnings, high winds, and constant rain here in the Seattle area today made the simple task a bit more challenging.
I think my problem arose from the same situation Ronnie mentioned. The weight of the 5" long Stay A While adapter + the regulator, all supported at only the tank end, eventually shakes the connections loose from road vibrations.
RV service call cancelled, $200 saved. Thanks all.
Michael
2001 Alpine 36 FDDS
Michael
Thanks for the update.
(Not many posters are as considerate).
Mel

Tags
leak, propane, tank