Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Pull out Dash drawer on Alpine Coach

Hello,
I have a 2003 Alpine Coach 38FD. The Dash drawer just moves in or out. Before I take it apart does it have some type of lock so when you open it all the way it stays there? I can tell it rolls good so what locks it in place. This will give me something to look for.

Thanks
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FD 350 ISC
Boston Ky
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Pull the panel on the passenger side which will provide you access to the back of the drawer. You can align/repair the drawer locks without removing the drawer.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

My drawer doesn't have anything to hold it open...just closed. I had to replace the latches behind the drawer so it would be held closed. Pull the panel to the left of the panel directly in front of the passenger panel to gain access to the rear of the drawer and realign the drawer latches or replace as necessary. Once you get the panel off it will be obvious what you need to do to get the drawer to stay closed.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
This is my solution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	95957  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Simple fix. Go to any hardware store and ask for the stainless steel pressure strips that you attach to the slide area of an old style wooden double hung window. Pull your drawer all the way out, and screw one pressure strip to the bottom of the base cabinet with an extension on your screw gun. Now, drawer will hold firm at any location. Works great!!

Frank
03 36' 400hp
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
This is my solution
You can end a lot of electrical problems behind the dash by tossing that drawer thing. I did the same thing Jerry did.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
You can end a lot of electrical problems behind the dash by tossing that drawer thing. I did the same thing Jerry did.

beagle
As a follow up on my previous post. The drawer going in and out pulling on the wiring harness caused to many problems with HWH controls. Since securing the harness as it should have been and deleting the drawer, all the problems have stopped.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, I took the side off and I have it where it will lock shut. What holds it half way or all the way open. I tried to see and could not come up with the answer. As it rolls out does the bearing go in a groove. This is smooth all the way out. I'm not wanting to change the design yet. I can see what your talking about the moving of the wires in and out. I like the cup holder there but may have to change all this. The drawer moves to freely. If we were working on the a/c I would half way know what I was doing. I never was a carpenter.
Thanks
Larry and Tammy Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FD 350 ISC
Boston Ky
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #9

Hi Larry, I had the exact same issues with my drawer. If I closed the drawer all the way in, it was so tight, I had to use too much force to release the stops in the lower rear. After release, it was too loose and just moved in and out as I drove. If you pull your drawer out and put a mirror to the front bottom of the drawer, you will see that there are standard drawer slides that make the movement operate. On the front lower portion of both drawer slides is a little lever. Push them both to the side simultaneously, and your drawer will continue to move forward, allowing you access to the bottom of the cabinet. Do not pull out too far, as your wire harness is attached. Screw one of the window slides (mentioned in above post) to the bottom and close your drawer. I promise you this works great. No more jerking to release drawer from stops, and it will stay wherever you want it too. I think I had to move the window slide all the way forward (front of drawer) to get the right pressure.

Frank

03 36' 400hp
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #10

I just found out that there is more than one style of pressure spring mentioned above.

You can find the correct spring by doing a Google search for the following:

Prime line F2538 wood window sash spring

Cost: $2.33

Cheaper than a cup of coffee.

Frank
Old 06-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

On the 08+ rigs, they redid the console w/out the drawer and it looks more or less like Jerry's, which I think is an improvement. On mine, there is a swing-out cup holder that I use all the time, looks like this one. Solves the problem of a handy drink, and that of sliding electrical connections.
On mine, the HWH control was relocated to the overhead above the driver, tho you could relocate that to either overhead or the updated console face by simple wiring.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #12

Thanks everyone,for now I would like to make it work until this winter and that will give a project. I don't really like the drawer but there are times i think they had there reasons for that. I'm a cockpit kind,I like all the gauges and switches. I really don't like them hid. When someone looks at it I want a wow. I have several more things to add. Silver Leaf and GPS to add.
Thanks Again
Larry and Tammy Pate
Boston Ky
03 Alpine 38FD 350 ISC
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I think I read some WRV literature that said the reason for the drawer was to keep the grandkids from operating the HWH since it was down low in their reach. Good idea in theory anyway.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash