Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

PulseTech

Has anyone used PulseTech products? They make a line of battery chargers/maintainers/desulfators. A Teamster buddy of mine swears by them and says he has 10 year old chassis batteries on some of his rigs that are as strong as new.

It is difficult to determine from the information on their website whether they could be used in conjunction with our charging systems or as a stand alone system. The double edged sword of the equalization process is that it is necessary to remove the sulfation build up from the battery plates but each time it is performed it eats away at those plates a bit.

Could this product eliminate the equalization process as we know it and maintain proper battery performance without shortening the life of the battery? If so, how do we best utilize this equipment?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
This product is very interesting. It only uses a low power "pulsing" technology to break down lead sulfate deposits. It's NOT a powered charger and does NOT charge or maintain battery voltage levels. It works WITH the charger to "rob" small amount of current in creating the "pulse" effect.

I plan to contact the company on Monday and ask some pertinent questions:

1. Does the PulseTech device eliminate the need for battery equalization?

2. Does it work in a multiple battery configuration such as our house batteries where 6V batteries create a 12V system using 6 - deep cycle batteries?

3. Do I need 2 - PulseTech devices to support the house battery bank & the chassis battery bank?

If you have more questions, post them here and I'll ask them for you.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Follow-up

I called PulseTech and talked with a Customer Support representative. Here is information I've obtained:

1. Over time their product should eliminate the need for equalization. However, he mentioned that certain conditions can exist where equalization may still be necessary. I'm not sure what specific conditions are being referenced. My last Interstate wet cell batteries lasted 6 - years and were changed for preventative reasons only. I never performed an equalization on those batteries.

2. Yes, the PowerPulse device can be used in multiplte battery configurations such as our motorhomes. See the answer to 3.

3. The PulseTech product should handle a maximum of 3 - batteries. My 6 - house battery configuration would require 2 - PowerPulse devices. The chassis batteries (2) would require their own PowerPulse device.

I'm still contemplating employing this device. Having to add 3 - changes the dynamics considering the cost would be $135 for the entire configuration. I feel a little more research into the expected benefits is required. It does look promising.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
https://www.pulsetech.net/amfile/fil...duct_id/15096/

This drawing shows that one unit can be used with up to 8 house batteries with one unit.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

Bob,

Thanks for jumping in and starting the research. Our house batteries are a bank of 6, or in some cases 8, 6V batteries wired in a combination of series and parallel to create what is essentially a large capacity 12V battery. I'm unclear on how 2 units would work on our 6 battery set up. Did the customer support representative provide an explanation?

Janet and Todd,

The drawing you provided a link to shows an 8 battery set up with 8, 6V batteries wired in series creating a 48V system. The Pulse Tech unit would work on such a system which is common in golf carts as well as the one we have at our house as part of our solar system. At the bottom of page 2 the brochure explains how their device can work on 12V batteries wired in parallel, which is the case for our chassis batteries, and for all practical purposes our house batteries, by removing them and charging them separately.

This would be a tremendous inconvenience. Battery disconnect switches installed where necessary would simplify things a bit, however 12VDC or inverted 120VAC would not be available in the coach during the process.

I agree that batteries often last 6 or more years with little or no maintenance. This mostly depends on the conditions they are subject to, continuously kept at full charge, frequently discharged and recharged, discharged over long periods of time and left uncharged, extreme temperatures, etc.

It may be beneficial for a select group of owners under certain circumstances, frequent boondocking for instance, who are willing to incur an additional expense and some extra effort to extend the life of their batteries.

I'll give them a call as well and pass along any additional information.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
RVP,

The more I think about it the more I think that the PulseTech representative identifying a 3 - battery limit might equate to having separating our 6 - house batteries into separate configurations which would also require 3 - 12V pairs (2 - 6V Batteries per pair). This would then require 3 - chargers & 3 - PowerPulse devices which obviously doesn't work for traveling.

I also think that this product is intended more for storage and not necessarily for active usage as in our motorhomes. Much of their application descriptions either states or infers that battery "management" is the intended use.

I'll be very interested to hear what information you can obtain from the company.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

I spoke with a technician at Pulse Tech today. He explained that two Power Pulse units would work on a bank of 6, 6v batteries by connecting one unit to the "first" two batteries, which are wired in series to create a 12v battery, and the other unit to the "last"two batteries. Together they would send the pulse to the middle two batteries. I did not ask what would be required for an 8 battery system. One additional unit would work on the chassis batteries.

The Power Pulse units operate off of the 12v provided by the batteries themselves. The good news is that a 120v AC power supply is not required. No need to run a circuit to the battery compartment. The bad news is the batteries need to be charged monthly if no power source is available to the coach. If the coach is plugged in, they can be left to do their thing.

I ordered 3 because it is the season to give and the coach needs some new toys. The company claims their devices can triple the life of a battery. If it adds just one or two years to a six year life cycle it will have easily justified the cost. Only time will tell and without a control group of batteries under similar conditions it will be difficult to determine the effectiveness of this technology.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

I am currently waiting for my Pulse Tech order, the fire has the mail screwed up.

I ordered the charger and the Quad Link set up. The Quad Link will maintain my 6 house and two chassis batts and keep them all charged and do whatever other kind of magic it performs.

Supposed to be the hot ticket, plug and play, leads stay in place on the batts. I don't mind having the charger plugged in all the time at home if it does what it says it will do.

Ill let you know when I get it and hook it up.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote