Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
After many tries at a fix and pump replacements, by WRV, Shurflo tech and engineer and myself. These included checking all and re-doing some plumbing, installing larger strainer and upgrading wiring with a relay. I then added an accumulator that I got from Lowes. This worked fine, but I was told Shurflo had a new pump set up with a accumulator built in. Since I had so much trouble, they sent me the new setup. The new unit was actually the ShurFlo Aqua King™ Premium 4.0, a combo unit of standard pump and accumulator together. I had increased the pressure setting about 5-10 PSI, to facilitate coach cleaning with a pressure nozzle on the hose. I had found that the standard pump (set off/on point) allowed for an unpleasant variance in water flow. I then re-installed the last 5.7 Smart Sensor pump that I had, leaving the Shurflo accumulator tank installed. I find that this combination works very well for me. The tank handles any low flow cycling problems and the Smart Sensor pump turns on when the tank pressure drops a bit and then stays on for long use, like for showers. This has been working now for over a year.

My recommendation for anyone, that can not get a 5.7 Smart Sensor pump to work right, add an accumulator tank. This would be after upgrading the wiring. Shurflo will say that it is not required, but their personnel from engineering and service have told me that it is OK to do.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Ingrid McIntosh View Post
ernieh,

We have had at least two 5.7's with October and November 2009 dates fail in less than two days. Pump #9 (since Dec 2009) is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. We've given up on the 5.7's and are going w/the 3.5 (no sensor) and an accumulator tank. Will keep our progress posted.
Thanks for the info. Shurflo told me that the newer ones were supposed to be better. My original lasted 6 years. My last 3 have lasted no longer than 6 weeks.

ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My MH came with an accumulator tank ... I quit maintaining the air pressure in it somewhere along the line as it is a bit difficult to get to ...guess I could try that again. I had to adjust the screw on my 5.7 a couple of days ago as the pump was not totally shutting down. Now it is slow on the uptake, as others have described...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Latest pump (3.5 w/accumulator also) has failed. New techs looking at situation. They think the latching relay may be the problem but can't find one. Anyone know where it is located in our coach?

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #47

Hmm, I don't believe there is one. Another good reason to run heavy gauge wire to a relay at the pump . This way the pump switch only activates a relay. For us full timers a normally closed relay would make sense.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #48

Jim- the OEM wiring is a 3-way switch direct to the pump, no relay. If you have a relay, latching or regular, it was added later. If you have one, it is probably either in close proximity to the pump or close proximity to the 12V source for the pump. You can follow the hot wire from the pump to find it. If you have white 12V to the pump disappearing into a split loom then I'm fairly sure that's the OEM hot from the 3-way switch setup.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #49

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Jim- the OEM wiring is a 3-way switch direct to the pump, no relay. .
I posted on this subject once before. The pump switches in my Apex are MOMENTARY (not 3 way) which suggests a latching relay, press once to latch on, again to unlatch. Jim & Ingred, are your pump switches momentary? I doubt this wiring would be peculiar to Apex.

I ran a dedicated #10 wire with a 30 amp fuse to the pump and plan to add a relay to control it from the switches, whatever type they are.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the comments. We came to the same conclusion. It looks as though a real rookie problem existed...the ground wire was loose - working sometimes, not others. Jim's herniated discs in his neck have prevented him from looking at it himself and we were relying on Camping World to know enough to check this out. He asked them to check the wiring and they said it was OK. Guess they didn't actually look at it. Anyway, we had a tech come to the campground this morning and he found the loose connection and the pump has worked fine since. Time will tell.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

The coaches other than Apexs do not come from the factory with any relay in the pump circuit. A relay should be added to any Alpine that uses the 5.7 pump, as the stock wiring is not sufficient for that pump. The problem we have, is that to add a latching relay we have to change the pump switches to momentary and the wiring to accommodate the new switches.
I am sure that you have a latching relay somewhere, the problem is just where. Have you tried contacting Mark?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #52

Well, I joined the Shurflo failure club. I replaced my original 5.7 in late March with one dated July 09. It started acting up the same day. It finally failed 2 days ago. I exchanged it for a new one dated march 2010. I decided to buy the in store replacement insurance, based on the history of these pumps.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #53

I had the a surging issue since replacing my OEM pump about a year ago, or maybe more accurately a delay. I'd open a faucet and the pressure would drain out of the lines to a trickle, then the pump would spin up. I added the Shurflo plastic accumulator off a tee (rather than in line) and screwed it to the basement ceiling where I could check the pressure conveniently. Didn't stop the delay, but the small football shaped pressure vessel contains enough rebound that faucet flow barely changes while the lines empty and the pump spins up.

Had a customer pull off Hwy80 and stop by for a coupla hours to discuss the more classic surging of pressure up, down, up, down. He has a Dutch Star. Installed the same accumulator for him, again putting it on a dead end rather than inline. Evened things out, but again, it seems the pump still reacts the same, while the accumulator takes up the slack between surges. I set the pre-charge to 30psi in both cases, 50% higher than the 20psi Shurflow says they pre-charge and 10psi below max pre-charge; I figured most of their pumps are 40-45psi, and the 5.7 is about 50% higher than that if its working to specs; the actual pre-charge is probably inconsequential.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,
If you own a Shurflo your either in the club (Wayne,"Well I joined the Shurflo Failure club.) or about to be.

How long did your original 5.7 you replaced in late March last? What was the cause of death?

"in late March with one dated July 09. It started acting up the same day. It finally failed 2 days ago." Explain what you mean by acting up and then what was the failure?

"I exchanged it for a new one dated March 2010. I decided to buy the in store replacement insurance, based on the history of these pumps." What store offers the replacement insurance on these pumps and what does it cost? Is it replacement for 'life of the pump' or is there a time limit? You have 3 year warranty from Shurflo as dated on pump or you need a receipt from the retail store for date purposes.

Since I went to the 5.7 I have gone thru three (3) pumps with two coaches. Can't remember what happened to the first, but the last two have been leaks. I changed out #2 pump Dec 2008 which would leak (spray) when tap on only between pump housing and motor case. Put on spare 5.7. (Shurflo sent me a new pump dated 12/08 as a replacement.) #3 pump died (15 months) this March 2010 with the same problem but not as bad. Small leak between the housing and the motor. Put one of my spares in service as I care two. Called Shurflo about returning the leaker (dated April 2007) under 3 yr warranty. Shurflo rep asked the Model and date of pump. This pump was marked 5900-0201, 04/07. Rep said that is an OEM pump and only warrantied for 1 year I said while I can't remember where I bought it, I know it can not be an OEM pump as WRV didn't use these pumps on this year coach. So for the interesting part! The pump with the 3 year warranty is Model 5900-0211. I said the pumps look identical, rep said they are the same pump. One is for OEM's & 1 year warranty and the other is after market with 3 year warranty. This tells me Shurflo does expect these pumps to make it past warranty and must build them so cheap they can replace at will.

I do work the pumps as I have an RO system and also wash the outside with the RO water. But I also do not full time either. Pump needs a rest!!!!

Not sure what the answer is except to care a spare or two. Maybe will look into what the Prevost builders use. I recall looking at one and I think it's 110V pump, and they are huge. Bet the price is huge also.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #55

Dan R.,

Camping World offers a 2 year extended warranty (2 years beyond the 3 year Shurflo warranty from date of purchase) on the Shurflo 5.7 pump for $15. This was according to the clerk at the San Antonio, TX store when I bought a pump about 2 weeks ago.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #56

Dan R , My first pump lasted 5 1/2 years. So far the pump dated March 2010 is working great, unlike the one dated July 2009.