Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
Was told by ShurFlo tech support to turn the center phillips head screw all the way in (CW looking at it) then back off 1/4 turn. This sets the sensitivity to its highest (or maybe it was the lowest) for the pressure sensing, and supposedly gave ShurFlo some cured complaints. Didn't work for me, but its an easy attempt at a cure, and not all that expensive. Hope it helps.

EM - I just replaced the pump, with a sure flo smart sensor 5.7 pump, and I cannot find the screw adjustment you mention above. I have a cover on the front of the pump (pump flat on surface facing you) and under the cover there is a electrical connection and cannot see any adjustment screw. Please send me personal e-mail with a picture, sorry to be so dumb.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #58

Monty- if you hold the pump w/the label facing you and motor up, then tilt the label away to see the bottom surface of the pump head (bottom side of assembly, opposite end from the motor), bottom side has either 4 Phillips screws (old pump for this model and the "born on date" on the label will be 3 or more years old) or 5 screws w/one in the center. If you have 4, there is no adjustment as that was added later.

Another possibility is you have a verrrry recent pump and they jettisoned the center adjustment screw in favor of some other hocus pocus. I've seen a Jan, 2010 pump that had 5, so would have to be more recent than that.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #59

My March 2010 pump has 5 screws.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
Well I guess I had better look again. Will let all know. I was looking on my old pump which would be a 2006, guess I will have to look at the new pump which we purchased last year.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #61

Alpine Owners Club
My pump does not have any of the screws you mentioned. It's a 5.7 Sensor pump, and I don't see them anywhere, my old one does not have them, and the new pump looks the same. I am going to call Surflow tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Strange ... I've had five 5.7 pumps from 2005 thru 2009 and ALL of them had the 5 screws on the pump head, with center one being the adjustment screw...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #63

Why don't you look at the sheet that came with the pump. It is pretty cut & dry. Shows you adjustment if yours has it or not. Location of screws will be identified in the breakdown.

Ted ulmer
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
All - Here is the link to Shur-Flo 5.7 Extreme Series Pump I put into my MH. It's a retail replacement of the OEM one which was installed. I checked the installation instructions and don't see anywhere you can adjust the pressure switch. Maybe I am blind. See this link: Extreme Series

I kept the old one, so I am just going to buy a new head assembly for it and put it back into the coach and see it that fixes my problem.

I could be blind as well, but don't see the screws everyone is talking about unless it's the cover on the head of the pump, and under that is a computer chip and connection, which I did not remove, and their may be a screw under that, but don't want to ruin a good pump until I know for sure what the heck to adjust.

Thank you for all your imput. A picture would be nice. Note it's the Extreme Series 5.7 pump, not the 4.0 one.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to what I can see in the pics at that link, and in the linked documentation, the adjustment screw IS GONE. Must be the "new design."
Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #66

Alpine Owners Club
All - OK, Broke down and called Shurflo. Gave the lady the build date on my old pump, and low and behold she told me, no the pump head is not available, and has no adjustment screw. I have not looked on the new pump, but my guess is it's there and has been all along, so I APALOGISE TO ALL YOU TECHIES because my guess is it's there and I just did not want to empty the smart bed and crawl inside there to see. So, next weekend once the rain stops and it warms up, I have lots of little projects to do on the beasty, and that adjustment screw is just the first one to fix. So sorry for being so stubborn about that screw I could not find.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #67

This thread should be named: "THE THREAD THAT WILL NEVER DIE BASED ON THE PUMP THAT SURELY WILL."

Got down I-5 a ways from Sacramento, and the 5.7 no workee no mo. Shut it off for a while, then back on and it worked for a short time then stopped. Now if I turn it off/on it will work for one cycle, but after I shut off the faucet pump won't restart when faucet is opened again.
Born-on date: 12/08, in-service time: 14 months.

I wired & plumbed over to my frame-mounted cheepo 45psi spare pump (that I bought as a spare for the 1984 Winnie Brave we had ages ago). Back in biz in 15 minutes.

My current plan is to continue trading in 5.7's till one accidentally outlasts its 3-year-from-"born-on"-date warranty. Then switch to a different pump. Mean time I'm thinking about plumbing in the spare pump w/solenoid operated bypass valves and wireless remote so the next time I'm nekkid in the shower and the pump barfs out , I can push a button to redirect over to the spare.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought mine new in December of 09. Since then I've used it only on a few occasions where it worked great. Just this past weekend it began to pulsate to the point where the water stops flowing completely then starts up again.

last night I went out and made the 1/4 turn from full clockwise and it now works like it had been. I guess now I'm wondering if this adjustment is just putting the eventual failure on standby for a few more uses.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #69

IIWMI'd carry a spare pump. Seems the electronics in the 5.7 either last a long time, or die fairly early. I put in a new 5.7 in March & its failing now; Smiths put their new one in Feb and the new new one today.

I took an old 5.7 apart today. The pump & motor look pretty well bullet proof if not run continuously. The electronics consist of a small pressure sensor on the bottom end of the pump head, and fully potted PC board w/heat sink under the mounting bracket. I'm thinking of adapting a pressure switch to the good motor/pump-head and obviating the busted ShurFlo controls. Fitting the pressure tap to the old head may be tricky (might require a combo thread & glue fitting), but otherwise the pressure adaptation would be simple. Not sure how to handle thermal cut-out.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a PITA! Hasn't anyone found a better replacement yet?

If the pump and motor are of sound quality I'd think there's one hell of a market for a retrofit kit of the type you're looking at putting together. Before you knew it you would have a basement full of units to get modified.