Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Pulsing Shurflo Water Pump

We recently replaced our dead SHURflo water pump with a new "Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7" pump. The pump works, but it pulses... about 2 seconds of high pressure, then 2 seconds of low pressure, over and over. It's not particularly noticeable in the shower, but it is at other outlets... sinks, bathroom sprayer, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested solutions?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Search previous posts. My fix, add an accumulator.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Gator,

I went through several "Smart Sensor 5.7" pumps and have had the same experience. The one installed as OEM worked fine until the motor burned up. Then several replacements from Shureflow pulsed very badly despite an accumulator and all the mods described in the various threads here. I finally got tired of no explanations from Shureflow and went down to the 4.5 gpm pump plus an accumulator and all has been fine since.

sdcyclist
2006 36 FDDS
Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #4

Was told by ShurFlo tech support to turn the center phillips head screw all the way in (CW looking at it) then back off 1/4 turn. This sets the sensitivity to its highest (or maybe it was the lowest) for the pressure sensing, and supposedly gave ShurFlo some cured complaints. Didn't work for me, but its an easy attempt at a cure, and not all that expensive. Hope it helps.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #5

I usually search the forum but I must have used the wrong keywords. What is an accumulator? Is it something that has to be installed? Do I call Shurflo for one? I am clueless about this.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Was told by ShurFlo tech support to turn the center phillips head screw all the way in (CW looking at it) then back off 1/4 turn.
I just dug in behind the electric cord takeup reel and found the pump. I felt around for some screws and saw a couple on the front side near the bottom and another couple on the bottom. The flyer that came with the unit is no help. Do you happen to know where the screw is that I'm looking for?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do you happen to know where the screw is that I'm looking for?
The screw is in the center of the end of the pump head ...the inlet/outlet end of the pump head. There are four screws around the head. Loosening them will take the cap off the head/cause a leak. The adjustment is in the center of the square formed by the four screws.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

FYI - I just installed a new Shurflo 5.7 and had the same pulsating problem.... 2 seconds high pressure, 2 seconds low pressure, over and over.

I turned on one faucet (the outside faucet in the dump area) and then adjusted the center screw (the water pressure adjustment screw on the pump) until the pulsating stopped. This solved the problem for me. Now one thing I did do was adjust the screw too tight. This increased the water pressure too high and it was coming out the pressure relief valve on the water heater -- again, I just backed off the adjustment screw till this stopped.
Mikebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry:

After fiddling with that darn screw several times, mine finally works perfect. Took me a year to get it right. Now I'm quite happy and have some heavy-duty pressure.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We just replaced our water pump w/the same Shurflow 5.7 extreme series previously installed. We have the pulsating problem and the first new pump was replaced by Camping World. In less than a month, the replacement pump has stopped working all together. I suspect in improper install and am headed for a different Camping World in Savannah, GA. Both of these new pumps did something else the previous pump did not...the water pump switch light at the front of the coach does not immediately go out now when you turn off the pump. Instead it slowly dims and then goes out all the way. CW tells us that's the way the new 5.7 pumps work. Anyone else have this situation or do you think the slowly dimming light could reflect an electrical problem/bad install w/the new pumps?

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Jim,

Not totally on subject. I ran dedicated 12 gauge fused wire to my pump and used a relay turned on by the coach wiring to turn the pump on. I get much better flow when on battery power now. I am still on my original 5.7 though.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My pump switch has always had the slow dimming.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just is case, I just odered a 5.7 that I saw on ebay for $169 shiping included. I ordered through the 800 number and didn't have to pay shiping. A lot cheaper then most prices I have seen.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
slowly dimming light
I've gone through 4 or more 5.7 pumps since 2005 and the slowly dimming light has been there with every one of them!!