Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

QD generator no start losing fuel prime

Experts tell me Gen won't start after non use due to loss of fuel prime caused by a suspected leak in fuel line or bad fitting on top of fuel tank in our 2000 36' MDS. At an RV shop that specializes in repairing gens they had to prime it by putting a pickup line in a bucket of fuel to start.

This post also relates to a 2006 thread "QD generator stopping after 2 minutes use."

My questions are:
1. My expert tells me he tried to trace the gen fuel line to the pickup on top of the tank but there is no room to see or get to the connection & therefore the tank must be "dropped"
2. If so, has anyone ever had a tank dropped on a 1999, 2000 or 2001? (I don't know if the 2002s have approximately the same configuration).
3. If it needs to be dropped does it require removal of jacks or other significant assemblies, thus requiring me to put a 2nd on my house to pay for it?
4. Does anyone know in which quadrant of the tank the pickups are located & would it be feasible to go thru the floor like some coaches do (if the pickups are in an appropriate location)?

Thanks, if you're able to wipe any clouds from my generator horizon, it will be greatly appreciated. As you can tell this is coming from a total non tech so please, as you normally do, curb your disdain & sarcasm.

I just remembered I have not gone into the Technical Library & if this is all covered I deeply apologize to Engineer Mike! I won't do it again!!!

Thanks,
MAC
MAC&ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which chassis is your coach built on .
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Lots of info on the forum--just do a "search" command and you will have enough info to confront the "experts." Most of the earlier posts about genset start issues were with regard to starting glow-plug problems in very cold weather. Assume genset worked last year but not now?...Most obvious things first--there must be more than 1/4 of fuel in main tank for genset to pick up from tank? If generator will pick up from "bucket" and run then genset is probably working as designed. Lines could be leaking [air/fuel] on top of tank but less likely--did they try to presurerize lines/tank to detect leaks?. Could genset feed lines have been reversed by someone trying to "fix" it? Believe tank can be dropped from frame once bracing is removed--you would need to disconnect fuel fill pipe[s], fuel gauge sender unit and drain tank--but this has to be a last resort....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Western RV chasis.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #5

Old Scout, Did everything you listed except haven't pressurized lines yet.
Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Loss of prime is normal if the generator hasn't been used for a while. If the tank level drops below 1/4 some air will get into the generator fuel line. Have you held the stop switch on for at least 1 minute to prime the pump? I sometimes have to do this twice to get mine to fire up. I have thought about putting a check valve in the fuel line but it is low down on my list at the moment.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis

If your Gen runs good after it finally does start then I doubt theirs a fuel air leak.
My 2000 is very hard to start especially after going down dirt roads at sand dunes.
Once mine starts its good till next bumpy road.
I didn't not know about priming with the stop switch, I'm sure that will fix my problem.
Might be yours too. Good luck.
Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #8

OK--I am going to "assume" that if this repair place "specializes" in RV genset repair; then they know about holding down the "on-off" switch in the "off" position to prime the genset. If this concept is "news" to them, leave now, right now--as they are clueless....If the genset will draw fuel from a bucket and run, the problem must be with the line or the tank...One last thought might be to blow air through the lines to the tank to dislodge any debris--again, this should have been SOP to find the mystery "leak"....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #9

Thanks to all for your replies, it's still a fluid (not diesel) situation!!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ok guessing here, but change the fuel filter, there might be two, one on the incoming fuel line right inside of the housing, and another which is accessed from below the genset behind an access door. You may have to move the exhaust pipe supports to gain access. The filter can be purchased from Cummins. Join the Power Club, and save 10% off all purchased and labor.
Then the hoses from the fuel tank to the genset may be kinked or failing, it's no big deal to change them, as it's easily accessed with the genset extended all the way out (provided yours extends). You won't have to drop the tank, so don't even think of paying for that service. The connections are all on the front, well at least on mine they are, but the years are different, so check other posts here. Fuel line does fail, break down as it's rubber based and gets old, the stuff degrades from the inside out, so it won't show on the outside of the line. It's cheap stuff, which can be manufactured by any good shop. The costs should not be too bad. I would look to those problems, and make sure the fuel level is high enough to preclude being below the pickup.
Gator - make sure you change the airfilter in the genset annually. Run at least 2 hours monthly to keep contacts in generator section clean and non-corroded.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote