Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Just a reminder......

Time is running out to sign up for the 8th annual Desert Rat Rally in Quartzsite 14-19 January 2009. Registration must be in before Christmas.

GET ON THE STICK WILL YA!

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #2

Basil...

What is the Desert Rat Rally?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #3

if it is anything like the branson rally was, it is really great. the people that we met at branson were the nicest group that we have ever met. looking forward to many more outings with them.
woodinboater
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

Get on the Stick!

Isn’t the correct dates January 14-19 2009?

Gary
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

January it is. I've edited the first post as well as the thread title to reflect that.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #6

So, what happens at this Rally?

Clark
Old 12-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Basil...
What is the Desert Rat Rally?
So, what happens at this Rally?

The Desert Rat Rally in Quartzsite has always been my favorite and usually the best attended rally with up to 150 coaches. This year? Who knows.Hey, the price of fuel is way down so come on out to the beautiful & warm (hopefully)desert.We dry camp on BLM land along with thousands of our closest RV friends. We have campfires, beautiful sunsets, catered meals,off road events,buy stuff at the RV show and do some serious socializing with our Alpine friends.Several bottles of wine will be consumed.

Fire up that Apex and come join us. I can guaranty you will have fun. ASK ANYBODY WHO HAS BEEN! You will meet more Alpine owners in Quartzsite than at any other event.

ADDED ACTIVITIES:
Garage sale.
No, do not bring your garage but all the RV stuff you no longer need to want to unload...I mean sell.

Gearhead session.
We will do this a little differently this year as an experiment. There is an incredible ammount of experience with the Alpine Coach among the owners. We will have an open discussion and if you have a problem with your coach, there is probably some owner there with a fix.

Project Show & Tell
Here is an opportunity to show off all those improvements you have made to your coach Like Dale.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
This was the first ACA rally that we attended and we have tried to make it every year. We plan on attending again this year and are looking forward to seeing lots of the many wonderful Alpine owners that we have met over the years. This is dry camping, but this is one of the many reasons we have an Alpine, large tanks and AGS. To all of you that we have not met yet, please look us up and say hi.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Speaking of Rallys, I wrote the below up as the questions came to me. Please comment on it and let me know how far off I am in my thinking concerning rallys in general. Thx in advance.

Rally’s – National and Local – expectations – assumptions –misinformation

Ok, We have attended one rally; well actually attended would be the wrong word. We were given admission by a salesman for a dealership who we were working with in the process of possibly purchasing a new 5th wheel. Had we known, it was a pay as you go event; we would have paid for a one day admission. It was the FMCA Rally last year in Redmond, OR at the fairgrounds.

Since we had never attended one before and did not know what to expect, suffice to say we were just overwhelmed by the whole thing. We did go into the vendor booths and check out accessories, parts and purchased a new fresh water hose. We also purchased some RV related books and atlas materials. I signed up for several door prizes and won a GPS.

But since we have purchased the MH, my expectations of what I expect a rally to be have expanded, and so I am going to lay out what I believe I am looking for. First for a local rally, I am aware some of these things cannot happen, but for the national rally, it seems that those things do happen and my only concern is how to sign up to participate in those events I believe should be present.
My outline is below and please I am guessing about all this stuff, and although the things I am looking for are most likely present, I am unaware of how this all works.
1. You would be advised through a local newsletter like the Alpine Coach Association or through a chapter of ACA, or FMCA that an even was/is going to be held, at a location you would like to visit. This usually happens as far out as a year or more, and as the dates in question get closer, additional materials and information about the event are published, e-mailed out or you read them, fill out a registration form, and send in your money.
2. You fill out the form, send you money, and get back some kind of tickets, for: 1) RV lodging for your rig at the designated place and ticket’s for admittance to the rally location for the set number of days. This is an assumption on my part, but I have/do see various big events with pull out forms that you fill out and send in with payments for different levels of attendance, services, admittance, etc
3. At the appropriate time, you get the rig ready to travel and hit the road so you arrive close to the assigned check in date. You present your tickets, someone shows you where to park the RV, you set up, and either assists the other members coming in, or sit around and watch the other rigs showing up, catching up on news about so and so, as they arrive. For us, we don’t know anyone, so most likely I would want to help out or something. This would give me a way to learn how the whole thing works.
4. The event day arrives, you get to the main entrance, present your tickets, some kind of program is provided, or something so you at least know where stuff is going to be held.
Now here is where it gets fuzzy. I would think, right after you enter, there would be a tent, booth, or some kind of area, where you can sign up for various training programs, special events, training seminars, and stuff like that. Hopefully there is a master event card that you receive, so you can look over the events, and decide which ones you will attend. This card is also your reminder check off list so at a glance you know what you have signed up to attend, and all the other stuff you want to see. I also assume there is a place to sign up for factory authorized warranty service on the various components systems installed on the MH, so appointments are made for the MH to be available for the service tech to check out what is wrong and fix it.
As an example: I want to attend the Cummings service seminar, and the DW wants to go to the outlet mall with all the other ladies, some place would exist for me to sign up for my class and for her to sign up for the outlet mall trip – assuming!!!!

The rally goes not for 3-5 days; you have purchased a ticket which give you entrance for the whole event? There are vendor booths, stuff for sale, all kinds of things to look at, if my one experience holds true.
Now, why all this verbiage, if I know all this, because all the above is a guess on my part based on one day at one national event, which we drove our truck to. And none of dos and do nots was explained to us, nor were we familiar with what to expect. Can you sign up to be helped around by someone who “knows the ropes” for instance?

And for local rallies, what goes on there, we read about them in the FMCA magazine, but are they free? Do you register for the local ones? What exactly is the process for all these events?

And we have a TT membership, if the rally is close to one of the parks we have access to, we don’t have to stay on the rally grounds like everyone else, and we can, stay in the TT Park, and drive over to the even each day. Parking will either be covered as part of the tickets for the event, or a separate charge I assume. This would save us money as we can camp for free, and just purchase the event tickets.

And our situation is difficult because we are still working, and so our vacations are usually spent camping in our rig, so if we take the position to attend a rally, we want the event to be worthwhile, and not a big question marks because we don’t know what or how to do the rally experience.

Your constructive comments are appreciated so I can figure this out for our camping season next year, as there are two rallies we might attend if we can get the time off.

Forgive me for being so long winded, English is however, my first ,second and third language and I don’t have it down very well.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #10

Monty- FMCA and other mega-rallies are mostly trade show with a series of owner or "club" rallies organized around them. They are handy since most of the gear vendors that sell the stuff of which our rigs consist are there with technical advice, but mega rallies are way more sales oriented than club rallies.

The ACA club rally at Redmond had a pizza bake, cocktail hour(s) nightly, help-a-friend activities as needed, and lots of palling around with Alpine friends. When not appended to a mega rally, the club rallies are all about Alpine community, tho we try to get a coach vendor to pay part of the cost and they get to show some coaches which is good for an occasional sale. You'll find that ACA rallies are a hoot. If you haven't joined, you should.

See everybody else @ DRR.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
EM - Still working and so cannot get to the DRR rally. Suggested we have a Rally in Yakima concerning the Steering Bracket thing, you, Dale and Basil can talk about it.

Looking forward to my first one, believe we will have a great time at one.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #12

We will have a gearhead session at DRR VIII and will discuss problems & solutions among us owners instead of the usual OEM rep panel we have had in the past.

Dale & E Mike: Could you guys be prepared to talk about this issue?

Also, this rally usually brings together the most Alpine coaches in any one spot. This might be a good time for an inspection and gathering of data.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I am always happy to be what ever help I can. I don't have all of the answers, but can share the repairs and upgrades that I have done.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
All,
Basil, Dale and Eng Mike, plese get someone to take lots of pictures of the rally. I will assume the ACA will feature it in an upcoming magazine, but in case they don't it would be nice to associate a face with a name.

All-we have had snow since last weekend and freezing temps here in Vacnouver, WA, the forcast tomorrow is for at least 6-10" of snow and then freezing rain on top of that, finally warming up on Monday during the day, but back below freezing on Monday night. Our weather gods say it will be after Christmas before we warm up enough to be out of the snow events. Gosh I am ready for summer!!!!!!!!