Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Quartzsite for Dummies..

Ok...after reading several threads about Quartsite...I'm a little confused.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I haven't seen a summary of what it is exactly....or why so many go there. Seems like many go to get their Rv's repaired...maybe even buy a new one?

My little 'ole Alpine and I might feel like we showed up at a Tuxedo event in a plaid suit and brown shoes...

How would you describe the event to a Newbie/Dummie ?

Best regards..Stan M....
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Stan

Swap meet in the desert

Jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

With every conceivable RV showing up.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #4

Stan- Quartzite is to RV owners what Burning Man is to lunatics. Its an RV "happening" in case your vernacular stretches back to the '60's.

Remembering of course that I have a fond place in my heart for lunatics.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
... Remembering of course that I have a fond place in my heart for lunatics.
And a lot of those lunatics also are RVers! Not me of course... I'm One of the SANE ones!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
A place in the desert where you can camp for free alone or alone with hundreds of others, or with others. Started as a gathering for rockhounds in the town of Quartzite. There is an RV show in January that is much smaller than it used to be.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
A place in the desert where you can camp for free alone or alone with hundreds of others, or with others. Started as a gathering for rockhounds in the town of Quartzite. There is an RV show in January that is much smaller than it used to be.
Thanks folks..

...for free? A very large flat area I assume, with no designated sites (or electricity, water etc?)

Sorta Woodstock...for Motorhomes?

Swap Meet? I make the Pate Swap Meet in Fort Worth (Texas Motor Speedway)yearly...it has a Vintage Auto theme with lots of inconceivables thrown in. Similar to that maybe, only with a Motorhome theme..?

Lotsa booze...yes, no? Recreation consists of shopping the swapmeet, hanging out, grilling steaks and mingling..?

Best regards..Stan
Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like so many things in life, it's not what it is, it's what you make it:

The Quartzsite Sports, Vacation and RV Show, Quartzsite Hobby, Craft and Gem, Rock and the Quartzsite Roll Classic Car Show at Quartzsite, Arizona
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,
You got the picture. Depending when you go and how long you are there, there is a classic auto show as well. Plus all sorts of RV Clubs have Rally's during January and Feburary. The Alpine Coach Assn. Will be having a Rally in January. Usually, over 100 Alpines show up. Every year model is usually represented. IMHO, every RV'er should have the Quartzsite experience at least once. A good rule of thumb: Arrive with a full tanks of fuel and fresh water, and empty black and grey tanks. There is a bussiness in Quartzsite where you can dump the tanks and get fresh water.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

The thing is, Quartzite is surrounded by government owned land managed by the BLM. That land is fairly flat and accessible by RV's. The government allows what is called dispersed camping on it. In some areas, they charge a nominal fee and include trash and a dumpsite. Other areas are free for two weeks at a time.

That land is also where there is reasonable weather in the winter. So it isn't much trouble to stay warm.

So you have a cheap, easy to get to spot with mild weather where you can spend the winter. That brings people and that brings in those who service them.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post

Amen to that Rocky...

Thanks Stan..
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #12

Remember all the millions that say there were at Woodstock?

Q is just like Woodstock, except it happens every year. And ev ery year you will see newbies . You will see every rv that you can imagine ever being made. And you will see rvers at their best and at their worse.

But.............unlike Woodstock, you can say you were there!
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Gee, now I don't have to ask that "dumb" question.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Stan,
You got the picture. Depending when you go and how long you are there, there is a classic auto show as well. Plus all sorts of RV Clubs have Rally's during January and Feburary. The Alpine Coach Assn. Will be having a Rally in January. Usually, over 100 Alpines show up. Every year model is usually represented. IMHO, every RV'er should have the Quartzsite experience at least once. A good rule of thumb: Arrive with a full tanks of fuel and fresh water, and empty black and grey tanks. There is a bussiness in Quartzsite where you can dump the tanks and get fresh water.

Thanks Jeff..

We are looking at trips that we can enjoy in a more powerful diesel pusher, as we have only had gas rigs in the past. Since we are really proud of our "new to us" Alpine, I was thinking about starting with the Quartsite Alpine Rally in January, and maybe getting acquainted with some fellow Alpine owners.

...then on to the Grand Canyon for the DW, and maybe on to Vegas . Been 25 years since I saw Vegas, I hear it's changed a little, ha hah.

Sounds like Quartsite is somehing everyone should see at least once. It's much bigger than I thought.

Another thing I need to see is Corvettes of Carlisle in Pennsylvania...folks come from round the world for it. (I have a '61 that I'm restoring..slowly). I believe it's in August...so that will give us a little time to catch up between trips. (Home base is Texas) We would also like to see some of the Civil War stuff on the way up to Carlisle.

We are new at big RV trips...making most of our excursions in areas around Texas.

Thanks again everyone..Stan..