Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #1

Hi All

I was curious as to which is the quietest & most efficient Roof Air conditioner unit.
The compressors of the A/Cs on my new 36MDDS seem loud = Dometic Duo-Therm 15k
They also don't cool the coach more than about 10 degrees!?! - My basement A/C in my Winnie was much more efficient - making it almost like a refrigerator in the coach.
Maybe someone might know if they can be 'tuned' to make them quieter?
Or maybe I should purchase an quieter A/C - if available?

Thanks for Any Input
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Hi All

I was curious as to which is the quietest & most efficient Roof Air conditioner unit.
The compressors of the A/Cs on my new 36MDDS seem loud = Dometic Duo-Therm 15k
They also don't cool the coach more than about 10 degrees!?! - My basement A/C in my Winnie was much more efficient - making it almost like a refrigerator in the coach.
Maybe someone might know if they can be 'tuned' to make them quieter?
Or maybe I should purchase an quieter A/C - if available?

Thanks for Any Input
Rick

Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #3

I can't answer your question about the noise level of the air conditioner, but as for the cooling level, you might want to review a thread started in July 2005 titled "FYI/Airconditioning". You might not be getting all the cool air going through the ducts to the vents. Taping it up made a big difference in mine.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #4

I have never found our A/C's particularly noisy, but as far as cooling (and I like it cool) I have the two 15BTU units and I don't believe we have ever had the two running at the same time. I know with both units running we could truly turn the refrigerator off. Something and it may be your ductwork leaking as suggested by Jim A.

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #5

My two cents pretty much agrees with your views--ie, a basement unit is probably quieter and perhaps more effective but they come at a price. 1) a basement unit is likely more quiet--just like your home central air unit is more quiet than window units (basically what you have with roof mounted units unless the are fully ducted--Alpines are not!). 2) your basement unit takes up valueable storage space and if it is a meatlocker in your coach--some one is paying for the electricity/diesel. Final point--in a number of coaches, the tape material that seals the units to the ceiling air ducts comes undone. The end result is that a lot of air gets recycled inside the units rather than cooling the coaches. It takes just a few minutes and some foil tape to correct this..dean
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #6

Dean & Jan, I don't know what you refer to as fully ducted with roof airs in the Alpine coaches. As far as I am concerned the Alpine I have is fully ducted in the ceiling. Possibly you have another definition?

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was curious as to which is the quietest & most efficient Roof Air conditioner unit.
The compressors of the A/Cs on my new 36MDDS seem loud = Dometic Duo-Therm 15k </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess the noise level is typical of all roof mounted air conditioners. We have 15K Colemans on the Apex and the noise level is about the same as the Dometics on our previous Alpines.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #8

Hi Dean
The reference to ducting in the Alpine coach I believe refers to the fact that it is a continuous tunnel through the 6" foam cealing and not metal duct work. The loss of cooling from the loose tape refers to the connection between the roof mounted AC and the cealing ducting. You will have to go up on the coach, take off the AC cover and check that connection. If it is torn or comming off re-tape it with aluminum duct tape available at most AC installers.

Tom & Debbie Viren
Tom Viren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #9

Ted--as indicated in responses above, there has been a lot of discussion in the forum about the roof-top A/C units. Taping the ducts is actually easy--take the plastic cover off the bottom of the unit INSIDE the coach and remove the metal duct cover (6 screws). If the original duct tape has come loose--the problem will be obvious. As for the term "fully ducted," some products like Dutch Star I believe, have separate duct work for both cool air output and warm air return. As a result, the roof AC unit is sealed off somewhat from inside the coach so unit noise is muted thru the duct work. Downside is that any leaks or condensation can end up trapped in the duct/roof.
So Basil, where you guys be? dean
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #10

AC noise is highly subjective as it is really two things. First is the actual decibel output of the unit as you can hear it inside the parts of the coach. Second is our response. I've heard how the bedroom AC noise is "no problem" cuz "I take my hearing aids out at night." I've also heard from Winnie & Alfa owners elsewhere that the location of the basement unit near their bed is a bigger nuisance than they can stand and they want roof units on their next coach.

As Dean pointed out, some other coaches have return ducts that obscure the fans & compressor from direct line-of-sight projection of noise into the coach, that we have with the return grill that sets below the operating parts. The return duct design is quieter.

There is a device that goes over the grill & projects about 2" or so down into the coach that obscures the line-of-sight noise. I have seen it advertised in the back of FMCA magazine. I'm working on a design of something similar for the bedroom AC where headroom isn't so critical to me.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #11

For the A/C question, Ed and I turn on the rear A/C when we are up in front of the coach, and when we are sleeping, if A/C is needed, we turn on the front unit. This takes care of the noise issue. Worth a try.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:41 AM   #12

Closing one of the privacy doors when only using one AC makes a huge difference in noise level.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E & D Wilson:
For the A/C question, Ed and I turn on the rear A/C when we are up in front of the coach, and when we are sleeping, if A/C is needed, we turn on the front unit. This takes care of the noise issue. Worth a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's also what we do. Seems to work well for us.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #14

Thanks All for your input

After asking around, I talked with a tech. with 35 years experience repairing RVs.
His opinion was what I had for a hunch.
The originator of Air Conditioning = Carrier was the quietest.

I will attempt to do some of the 'fixes' recomended here - thanks!

So many problems debugging a new coach

Some of the things I have found wrong with my new Alpine make me wonder if a WRV will be my next coach

Rick