Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Question On Fresh Water Dump Valve

Searched the forum on leaking fresh water dump valve, and looked at my previous posts on this issue plus all the others I could find on replacing with other types of valves, relocating, etc.

Mine has leaked before and I got if to stop with a little relocation. My issue now is the blade valve is leaking while we're on our annual trip to Palm Springs.

I would like to just replace the valve or the seals in it once I take the carpeted panel out and all the extra stuff out of the bay when I get to the RV park in Palm Springs. Not interested in replacing with a ball valve or redirecting the flow, etc. Will do that sometime when I'm home. Right now all I want to do is stop the leak but keep the valve, hence I don't want to cap it off.

What I couldn't find on the forum was the type of slider valve with a part number or manufacturer. Does anybody know where to get the replacement valve WRV used, or the seals for this valve, for a coach like our '06?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

If it is the same blade valve as mine it is called the "Super Plug" and was designed as a transom drain for boats. The lever on mine broke and I could not get a replacement as this valve is no longer sold. Mine would leak if it was closed too far. Had to manually pull it back a little to completely shut the water off.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Old, I removed my blade valve and installed a plug. I need the storage space more than the drain. I installed the vagabond RO system and use water out of the tank 24/7 so draining is not required on a regular basis. If I do need to empty the tank, I can with the pump it out and then pull the plug to get all the water out.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OF - Where in Palm Springs? We are in Thousand Trails in Palm Springs until next week, then we move up the road. My reason is I could come over and/or you could come and see mine and see if that type would fix your issue. I am assuming you have white/clear PEX plumbing, and the compression fittings with the nut. I have never had problems with the way my tank drain works, am I understading the issue correctly?
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

Algoma,

Good suggestion on not closing the valve all the way. I'll give that shot since I have been working at pushing it fully closed and my leak got worse since I did that.

Monty, I'll give you a call on the phone since I'm at Outdoor Resorts Cathedral City and only a few miles away from you, if I can't solve the problem. My coach has a slider valve on 1 1/2 to 2" PVC, not a valve in pex tubing like the smartbed coaches have.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

OF- you might want to give Aubrey's (Yakima, WA) and Northwest (Eugene, OR) a call to see if they have a surplus valve in stock. If the blade valve works like the sewer dump blade valves you could rob the new valve of the seal assembly and rebuild the old in place.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

EM-- thanks for the suggestion. Had not thought about calling Aubrey's or Northwest, but that's a good idea.

I took the valve assembly apart today and noticed the seals looked fine but they were gritty, like a little sand around them. Strange, since I've kept my filters changed regularly. So there's probably some sand that somehow got in the tank a long time ago.

I washed and cleaned the seals, put a little Vaseline on them and put them back in. Tightened the assembly up, put some water in the tank and it hasn't leaked since - 6 hours ago. I thought the seals might just be dirty, and that's appears to be the case.

Nevertheless, I'll call those places and see if I can buy an extra one. Looks like these seals may not be easy to come by.

While I was at it, I shortened the cover assembly around the dump valve and gained about 12" x 14" of floor area to store some more stuff in the bay, like my Structurwood 1 1/2" jack pads, or some more of the growing spare parts inventory I take with me. Don't know why WRV made such a big protective cover around that dump valve, unless it was a standard panel made for a number of coaches. Sure didn't need it that big in our 36'.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the fresh water dump is a mounted with a common 1/2 inch IPT thread (or other common size) you can replace it with any type of valve you like from Lowes, Home Depot, Joe's hardware or Pete's plumbing (Generic names) nothing at all special about it, Not one thing. and odds are the tank fitting or the valve's fitting is, in fact a 1/2 inch IPT thread. Standard hose bib will work, in fact I recommend it as you can easily "Extend" such a valve to a nearby drain.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

wa8yxm:

If you read the rest of this thread, you'll note this is a blade-type valve, similar to the dump valve on the waste water tanks, and it's a 2" PVC pipe coming out of the 100 gallon fresh water tank. So the kind of valve and the type of hose bib you're talking about has nothing to do with this issue. That would occur only if I plumbed in a standard hose into the PVC dump pipe.

This pipe dumps the tank in a hurry, which I think is something WRV did to make it more convenient for owners, before they put in Smartbeds in the later coaches, which required different plumbing for the dump valvle.

Tags
water