Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #169

Alpine Owners Club
Quick Tips & Easy Mods- Alpine Style

Jeeper64060, with the TV over the dash, my wife found while watching TV at night, she was slowly sliding down until she eventually was asleep. She now has a new recliner to fall asleep in and the grand kids can set up an aero bed on the ballroom floor when they come with us.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #170

Alpine Owners Club
Quick Tips & Easy Mods- Alpine Style

Our latest mod was the removal of the 10 year old Zenith surround sound system and installing a Samsung HW-J250 soundbar. I elected the 250 because of the size, about 3 inches smaller than the TV. I am on the plus side weight wise, the 250 is about half the weight of the Zenith and sounds MUCH better. One problem we had was with the sound adjusted to watch from the chairs, the rear speakers were too loud while sitting at the table (one of the rear effect speakers was directly above your head).

In doing this I eliminated the steel cover, removing about 10 pounds from the cabinet load. I had already replaced the TV with a Sony LED about 2 years ago (see prior posting above) so the last step was to replace the sound system. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood added a piece of solid maple then stained it to match the interior decor. One thing I did different, was to bolt through the maple into the speaker, the stock wall mount could allow the speaker to bounce off the mounts. One thing I found the hard way, the Soundbar is from Samsung, that means metric parts. I tried a 8-30 screw, the Sounddbar is 4 -.7 mm.

The installation and connections went smoothly without any issues. I was able to grab the fiber optic output from the TV, so it works with our BlueRay player too. I picked up the outlet in the driver's side cabinet that is NOT controlled by the ignition switch so we can also use the Blue Tooth input to the Soundbar while we are driving down the road to play music from our iPhone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453051201.956929.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	116701

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #171

Alpine Owners Club
A/C Condenser Electric Fan

From a Previous PostWax Valve Orifice location, I had mentioned that I was going to install a 12v electric fan for the A/C Condenser. I got this idea from Paul Lisec who also has a 2001 38 ft. Alpine.

After some research, I found a Spal 12” Slim Pusher Fan part #30100384, that is 2.05” wide. (Note a 14” should also work). I wired the fan so that when the A/C compressor is on the fan will run, by use of a relay. I believe this is easier than changing the wax valve orifices.

I used a 30 Amp Bosch Relay; I tap into the A/C power for the A/C clutch as the trigger wire for the relay. The A/C Power for the clutch uses a 10 amp-fused circuit on my Alpine and the relay uses milliamps to actuate it. I ran a fused 15 amp power from my batteries through the relay and then to the fan. The fan will only operate when the A/C Compressor is running. I also had to design and install lower brackets to secure the fan. The upper was easy to mount on the condenser bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spal Fan Installed.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	169203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spal Fan Installed View.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	169204  

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #172

Dave, you were fortunate, I only had about 1.5 to 1.75 inches to work with between my grill and the condenser--couldn't find a fan that thin....So as mentioned before--moved condenser to in font of passenger front wheel-well and added fans, controlled thru relay switched from compressor clutch circuit. Regardless, the key here is get the 20-25 HP engine fan completely out of the business of trying to cool the A/C condenser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8407.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	715.9 KB
ID:	169207  
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #173

One recurring repair that seems like it will hit most alpine coach rigs is the eventual break in the kitchen sink drain line.
Since the thread explaining the repair gets so old it evades the current iRV2 Search feature:
Kitchen Sink Drain Leak Repair thread link
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #174

Magnum Inverter Install/Alternate Location

I just replaced my Xantrex RS2000 inverter w/Magnum MS2812. The Magnum supports 2800 watts vs the RS2k's 2000, but the real value imho is:
a) Magnum always starts in Bulk charge mode (RS2k starts most times in the last known charge mode which might be Absorb or Float which are inefficient if your batteries have cycled down seriously and the only way to defeat that is to reboot the RS2k to start in Bulk), and
b) the 125 amp max Magnum charge rate vs the RS2k's 100 amp, quicker charge up so less gen run time needed when you are boondocking.
I could have used the Magnum MS2012 which is 2000W/100A, same as RS2k.

I moved the inverter location from the wet bay on DS to the wet bay on PS, and mounted it to the basement ceiling using 1/4-20 x 4.5" carriage bolts w/anti-spin washers and pushed it as far forward as possible to maintain storage volume aft of inverter on top of waste tank (had to move some wires & adjust some plumbing); bolts hang down from the coach floor under the W/D closet (I had to remove the two lower drawers in lower W/D cabinet there to do the drilling, you may have to remove the W/D or whatever for access):

You can see the white 120V/12V outlet panel hanging down on right side, I haven't screwed that back up the ceiling in this photo.
This has the supreme advantage of not having any potentially leaky plumbing over the inverter , which was a drag twice w/the RS2k's OEM location . Some SE's have the inverter on a shelf off coach frame and above HydroHot location & don't have that plumbing leak threat but their Surge Guard is then in the flood path, for mine the SG was out of leak's way but the inverter got squirted twice. Connections are also much more accessible in this PS location & orientation. All cables were easily fished across top of tanks and the 120V and 12V cables didn't need any splices or trims although I cut off the old bent ends of the 120V wires to start w/fresh ends.

RS2k uses 8-wire Cat5 cable for comms; Magnum uses 2ea RJ11 4-wire to communicate with a) the Remote Panel p/n ME-RC50 (don't need the "Advanced" panel ME-ARC50 as its advancements are for options our setup doesn't use), and b) the Magnum Auto-Gen-Start network version (p/n ME-AGS-N). You can use the old Cat5 from the RS2k and splice the ends into 2ea 4-wire RJ11 ends which plug into two ports on the inverter and one each on Remote Panel & AGS.

The Magnum AGS comes w/its own temp sensor "Remote" which is on its own RJ11 cable; that obviates the ~5"x5"x1.5" Duo-Therm box in the PS overhead that turns the coach's thermostat call to start the roof AC into a relay signal for input to the old Xantrex AGS unit to start the gen. Instead you install the Magnum Remote sensor where convenient (for me that's just ahead of large window valence and below the PS overhead cabinets hanging down about 2"), set the Magnum Remote Panel AGS feature to start the Gen at whatever temp you require for dog/cat/spouse/tropical fish/etc. while you are out fooling around, and leave your coach thermostat ON and set to 60° (i.e. well below the AGS startup point so the AC is set to come on when there is electricity).
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #175

YUP--some day I will follow your lead but for now, I will have to dream about dumping my RS2000. Have learned to live with the drawbacks of the RS2000--my box routinely starts out at 120-125 DC charge amps---BUT only if, I force the charge mode to bulk with the default reset option [perhaps 80% of the time], as you pointed out.....I am so jealous......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote